DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

No need to get defensive. You can Android all you want.
What I am saying is, you can buy ANY apple device (as long as it is fairly recent) And download DJI Go 4 then plug and play. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.
No USB debugging, app permissions, charging port adjustments, and a host of other things that may or may not make a given android device work with DJI. Android compatibility varies by model and manufacturer. AND Some of the models that work with DJI are more expensive than apple devices.

My point is Apple will always work good, without question, and without any extra setup. Android devices can be a crap shoot. That is the FACT i was referring to.

I have just posted IOS Vs Android, as my 2 week old Mavic 2 has worked flawlessly with iPhone 7+. This morning I had forgotten to charge it overnight so used my Android Samsung G7 Core (Motorbike GPS Phone) instead.
The issues that arose - Screen froze, RTH too low, then next flight video signal lost, then fly away on landing. All landed ok, but I will not use the Android again!!

iPhone is on charge!!

used my Android Samsung G7 Core (Motorbike GPS Phone) instead.
The issues that arose - Screen froze, RTH too low, then next flight video signal lost, then fly away on landing. All landed ok, but I will not use the Android again!!
RTH too low? Losing signal? Fly away on landing?
And you are blaming those on Android?
Android is much worse than I realised.

RTH too low? Losing signal? Fly away on landing?
And you are blaming those on Android?
Android is much worse than I realised.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any issues with the iPhone, you need to add app frozen and crashed App to the Android list.
After reading a number of other posts and threads, it is probably not Android, more likely the lack of spec in my Samsung.
I now think the Samsung (1/7 the price of the iPhone) is just not up to the job..

I now think the Samsung (1/7 the price of the iPhone) is just not up to the job..
That could well be but it still wouldn't have caused RTH too low, Losing signal or Fly away on landing.

That could well be but it still wouldn't have caused RTH too low, Losing signal or Fly away on landing.
Yes, does seem strange, my explanation (IMO) would be the Mavic 2 and controller were working fine, as I regained control with no problems, so my thoughts were the phone HW wasn't keeping up with the app demands and because of delays due to poor processing power of the phone, misreported the app & phone HW timeouts as signal lost etc...

Flying great again with the iPhone..

I will never buh an Apple product because
  1. They refuse to p a y taxes in Australia and use all sorts of trickery to avoid tax
  2. They exhort developers who tfy to design for thejr products
  3. They rob artists throuvh the itunes sites
  4. They charge exhorbent prices for their very ordinary products
  5. The Android devices o use "just work"

my thoughts were the phone HW wasn't keeping up with the app demands and because of delays due to poor processing power of the phone, misreported the app & phone HW timeouts as signal lost etc...
That still wouldn't have caused RTH too low, Losing signal or Fly away on landing.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I'm using a iPad Pro 9.7 for my display. My phone is a Samsung S9+. The phone is great , but the iPad is lush and large and bright.

Yes, does seem strange, my explanation (IMO) would be the Mavic 2 and controller were working fine, as I regained control with no problems, so my thoughts were the phone HW wasn't keeping up with the app demands and because of delays due to poor processing power of the phone, misreported the app & phone HW timeouts as signal lost etc...

Flying great again with the iPhone..

That's definitely not the case, even putting aside the fact that some of the problems you describe would be impossible for the phone to be responsible for I'm flying the Mavic 2 with a much older and far slower Galaxy Note 4 with no issues at all. The S7 is still a powerful phone, if you haven't tried a different USB cable then I'd look at trying another.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

You mirror my experience. I've always hated Apple products and never considered them "user friendly" OR "intuitive." Like you, I did my research, and iPad users seemed to be having the better experience. And, like you, my iPads are dedicated to my work (drones and audio only). Moving into the film industry, my partner and I quickly decided that we would purchase only the BEST of everything, which included iPads, MicroSD cards, ND filters, etc. We would not cut corners anywhere - a decision I have never regretted.

I must admit, once I moved past the steep part of the learning curve, eventually learning how to HACK these things, I have become very happy and comfortable with them. With the exception of hot weather performance with some resource-heavy flight automation programs, they DO work well.

I don't know if you did this, but I removed ALL unnecessary apps. I don't Skype or Message or surf the web or do any of that stuff with my iPads. They have audio apps (for my sound company), drone apps, and a few extras that are also used for business. Each iPad has < 10 apps installed - another decision I have never regretted.

Funny...my girlfriend's iPhone has a gazillions apps installed - page after page!! She's constantly complaining about erroneous behavior from the thing. I once checked, and she had like 10 apps running at once. I was like, "No wonder this thing is slow." Funny how solid these iPads are when you run just ONE app...hehe...

D

Last edited:
Reactions: SmileyGC
You mirror my experience. I've always hated Apple products and never considered them "user friendly" OR "intuitive." Like you, I did my research, and iPad users seemed to be having the better experience. And, like you, my iPads are dedicated to my work (drones and audio only). Moving into the film industry, my partner and I quickly decided that we would purchase only the BEST of everything, which included iPads, MicroSD cards, ND filters, etc. We would not cut corners anywhere - a decision I have never regretted.

I must admit, once I moved past the steep part of the learning curve, eventually learning how to HACK these things, I have become very happy and comfortable with them. With the exception of hot weather performance with some resource-heavy flight automation programs, they DO work well.

I don't know if you did this, but I removed ALL unnecessary apps. I don't Skype or Message or surf the web or do any of that stuff with my iPads. They have audio apps (for my sound company), drone apps, and a few extras that are also used for business. Each iPad has < 10 apps installed - another decision I have never regretted.

Funny...my girlfriend's iPhone has a gazillions apps installed - page after page!! She's constantly complaining about erroneous behavior from the thing. I once checked, and she had like 10 apps running at once. I was like, "No wonder this thing is slow." Funny how solid these iPads are when you run just ONE app...hehe...

D
I have 3 apps installed, Go4, Ground station and tracfone so I can monitor data usage. I only pull it out of the case to fly or charge it. Other than that I have no use for it. Because of this it's always charges and ready to go at any time. It also performs flawlessly because of the lack of clutter.

Reactions: Niblett
I will never buh an Apple product because
  1. They refuse to p a y taxes in Australia and use all sorts of trickery to avoid tax
  2. They exhort developers who tfy to design for thejr products
  3. They rob artists throuvh the itunes sites
  4. They charge exhorbent prices for their very ordinary products
  5. The Android devices o use "just work"

You do know that every multinational company worth billions uses ever tax code advantage they can? That’s how they get to be billion dollar companies. So to single Apple out is just silly. As the most recognizable company in the world the media companies love to single them out.

As for the rest of your claims.... meh.

You can put the icons wherever you want on Iphone or Ipad. Just touch and hold any icon, it will get a small "x" in EVERY ICON and they will wiggle. Drag and drop the icons wherever you want, or hit the "x" to delete the app.. And YES IOS and Mac IOS are far less buggy. BUT if you dont want to take the time to learn how to use apple devices, dont globally claim they are bad just because you didnt figure out how to do what you wanted!.

Thanks for the iOS lesson but I already know how to move the icons around by holding them down till they wiggle. Now try making two vertical rows with a space in between them.

My point was to use whatever works for you. There's no need to make condescending comments towards me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the iOS lesson but I already know how to move the icons around by holding them down till they wiggle. Now try making two vertical rows with a space in between them.

My point was to use whatever works for you. There's no need to make condescending comments towards me.
Sorry, you said you couldnt move them where you wanted, I said you could. Didnt know you required a gutter!
It is hard for me to identify the easily offended, and I often forget to put the sugar on a post as a cushion now and then. Sorry you took that personally.........

I’ll tell you why, look at the questions and problems posted just here alone and see how many android users that have had issues! Then do the same for iPads!! Just because you may have had a good android experience there’s many many more that haven’t, so your statement that it’s a myth concerning iPads (Apple products) is false!

Last edited:
I have not heard or read anything about Reception related issues when using tablet holders or brackets. Have you?

I have not, but I would not be surprised if it is or could be an issue, especially at longer distances when the signal strength is lower, and/or in challenging RF environments.

I have not, but I would not be surprised if it is or could be an issue, especially at longer distances when the signal strength is lower, and/or in challenging RF environments.
I'm not sure if you'd get alot of interference, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Here's my setup, the antennas have a clear line of sight. I personally like the tablet holders over the controller. I obviously can't use the data comming of the controller screen, but it doesn't bother me. I learned to fly off of a Spark and never had that anyway. 20181201_170202.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair