DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

I started out on my Android S7 and had no problem with the phone except for the charging issue. But I wanted a bigger screen. I also wanted to use some of the third party apps which at the time were only available ios so it left me no choice. I still use my phone from time to time because I have the boost app on it. I'm not an Apple fan I've always felt their products were overrated and overpriced.

Reactions: bushie
So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I used my iPad Mini for the irst time last week. Works like a charm! the only potential problem I see is a fast battery drain. I drained one battery on the M2 and the ipad was down to 53% form a full charge. I think maybe I had some other things open (like wifi and bluetooth) that might have contributed. Otherwise it worked well. The mini slotted into the controller handles perfectly.

Thanks to the power of google I was able to find all of the info required to successfully connect my Samsung Galaxy S7 to my Mavic Pro. The only issue (and it's a minor one IMHO) is the extra drain on the RC battery which I have minimised by turning off Fast Charging on the phone.

However, I would like to have a larger screen and am seriously considering getting an iPad Mini 4. I already own an iPad Pro but would have to buy a bracket and also think that it might be a pain to use due to the extra weight. New Mini4 128GB iPads are currently on sale for $447 and I'm hoping to get $300 for the S7 which is in perfect condition.

Thanks to the power of google I was able to find all of the info required to successfully connect my Samsung Galaxy S7 to my Mavic Pro. The only issue (and it's a minor one IMHO) is the extra drain on the RC battery which I have minimised by turning off Fast Charging on the phone.

However, I would like to have a larger screen and am seriously considering getting an iPad Mini 4. I already own an iPad Pro but would have to buy a bracket and also think that it might be a pain to use due to the extra weight. New Mini4 128GB iPads are currently on sale for $447 and I'm hoping to get $300 for the S7 which is in perfect condition.
I'm using the iPad gen 5 with a mavmount. The extra weight is quickly forgotten about when you see how nice it is flying with a 10" screen. I used a S7 edge for a long time with zero problems. I started getting a few disconnects when I upgraded to a S9+. My main decision when I got the iPad was price and reliability. It was one of those deals I couldn't pass on.

You may want to check out GSP (ground station pro). Its a DJI app that was made for the Ipad. Its an app that lets you plan you entire mission at home then you just show up at your location and push one button to execute and you're off. Its pretty cool and it has some instances where it can be useful.

You may want to check out GSP (ground station pro). Its a DJI app that was made for the Ipad. Its an app that lets you plan you entire mission at home then you just show up at your location and push one button to execute and you're off. Its pretty cool and it has some instances where it can be useful.
I'll definitely check that out, sounds interesting.

If you wanted to stay with Android, then why didn’t you get the only DJI dedicated monitor there is. The Crystal Sky! It hands down thrashes the pants off using any other device. Absolutely brilliant on every level. And cheaper than an iPad. [emoji1360]

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
If you wanted to stay with Android, then why didn’t you get the only DJI dedicated monitor there is. The Crystal Sky! It hands down thrashes the pants off using any other device. Absolutely brilliant on every level. And cheaper than an iPad. [emoji1360]
Simple, the 10" ipad was only $175. You point me in the direction of a crystal sky that is that size and price, I'll buy it today. Size of the tablet, price and function where all determining factors. The one I got was the best for the money.

Reactions: deleted member 877

Cheaper than an iPad? I don't think so. For me to buy this stuff locally in Australia:-

CrystalSky 5.5" - $739
Mounting bracket for Mavic Pro - $ ?

Apple iPad Mini 4 128GB 7.9" - $449
No mounting bracket required

Turn up the brightness on the iPad and it's apparently every bit as good as the CrystalSky display. And of course, the iPad is a fully functional computer with access to many thousands of IOS-based applications. It's a no-brainer IMHO.

So 450 nits is apparently every bit as good as 1000 nits?
Not everyone has cataracts requiring flashbulb bright back lighting on their display.
And most are able to not stand in direct sunlight trying to see the monitor.
It makes no sense to me to spend almost as much as the drone costs on an Android one trick pony like the CS.

I have heard rumours that DJI is working on developing a universal RC with a built-in screen. Now that would be worth considering if not too expensive. Going forward it would be nice if we could upgrade to the latest model drone without having to buy a new controller.

Not everyone has cataracts requiring flashbulb bright back lighting on their display.
And most are able to not stand in direct sunlight trying to see the monitor.
It makes no sense to me to spend almost as much as the drone costs on an Android one trick pony like the CS.
It makes no sense to suggest that you can compare a 450 nit screen to a 1000 nit screen for daylight viewing.

Except it isn't a fact at all.
It;'s just a very pervasive myth that is propagated and perpetuated by forum posts like: apple stuff just works better with DJI. That is a known and proven fact.
It's past time to stop pushing that line. It's not true.

The Android tablets I fly with run the app flawlessly.
Perhaps an iPad could run the app as well, but it would be impossible for an Apple device to work any better.
While in the main what your saying is seemingly the case there is one exception, an important one. DJI seems to provide more attention to the iOS version of the GO4 app- particularly with implementing new features and bug fixes in a timely manner. I wouldn't be happy atm if I had no option but for the tiny battery in my mavic controller to be charging my android device while flying (with no option to switch it off).

It makes no sense to suggest that you can compare a 450 nit screen to a 1000 nit screen for daylight viewing.
What he said is, for about 1/2 the money, it does what he needs, and it is FAR more than just a drone display that requires a welding lens to view. :D
The CS is just a $700 hammer. The government probably has a bunch of them. :D

I have heard rumours that DJI is working on developing a universal RC with a built-in screen. Now that would be worth considering if not too expensive. Going forward it would be nice if we could upgrade to the latest model drone without having to buy a new controller.
That might be good for some folks but given that DJI has never made any effort to allow their integrated screen controllers to run 3rd party apps and it would either have a very small screen or be very expensive, I don't think I'd be tempted.

That might be good for some folks but given that DJI has never made any effort to allow their integrated screen controllers to run 3rd party apps and it would either have a very small screen or be very expensive, I don't think I'd be tempted.
The CS doesnt run 3rd party apps. (from what I read) At least not easily.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
The CS doesnt run 3rd party apps. (from what I read) At least not easily.
I 'm not saying that the Crystalsky monitor is the best flying tablet - just challenging that comment above.
It's great if you really, really need daylight viewing but there are plenty of cheaper and better options.
I'm happy to stick with a cheaper and better performing tablets and use a handy shady tree when needed.

Simple solution- buy a late model higher spec device.

Personally I’m happy that DJI doesn’t hold back on incorporating the latest tech in their products to cater for older tablets/phones.

I 'm not saying that the Crystalsky monitor is the best flying tablet - just challenging that comment above.
It's great if you really, really need daylight viewing but there are plenty of cheaper and better options.
I'm happy to stick with a cheaper and better performing tablets and use a handy shady tree when needed.
I am a hobby pilot, If there is no shade, or I cant sit in the truck with the AC on and fly, its not a good time to fly! :D
I just cant see the value of $700 + just to say its brighter. When it is nothing but a drone display, and an under powered tablet. If you can even call it a tablet. More of a "smart monitor"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661