DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Swapped the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom Camers!

It was me that swapped the camera, the link/video is mine. I did not need to re-link anything as the controller and the drone stayed the same, only the camera swapped. The app still showed the Pro because the app last ran with the mavic 2 pro (the one that shipped to me as the Pro). When I swapped cameras (from the Pro to the zoom, so now the "zoom" will be a pro) and booted everything up, the ipad shows the Pro, because I did last use it with the pro. By the time the app updated, it would still show the pro because the drone/camera hooked up was the "new pro that was a zoom" lol. Man this is confusing.

I did actually swap cameras though. Watch my follow up video, I show the serial numbers.

I like to ask, what did you do about the code 3 error camera warning after the swap? Any fix?

I like to ask, what did you do about the code 3 error camera warning after the swap? Any fix?
I too recently purchased a M2Zoom camera gimbal and swapped the Hassy with Zoom. Absolutely no issues, no error codes, and normal operation with either camera assembly. When plugging into Go4App or Asst2, it identifies the craft dependent on camera. I can swap the 2 and the M2 starts up with identity of camera: M2P or M2Z.

Don’t know what an error 3 indicates.
Based on electronics touched, I’d say it indicates something regarding the ribbon cable connection... most likely not connected correctly (squarely) or cable end or socket was damaged. This is a very sensitive & delicate connection.

Are you getting an error with both cameras or only one? Have you placed the original back on to verify? If only one camera errors, good chance 2nd one wasn’t connected correctly... or it’s cable connection end is damaged.
If only 1 errors & other clean indicates socket on M2 is good.

To keep the loose camera safe, I did pickup a little foam case... Harbor Freight has some black plastic cases, I got one off of Amazon, liked the yellow. You pull out the little pre-cut pieces to make a cavity loosely fitting.

Good luck on resolving error...

OK ... I've gotta ask the obvious question.

Why?

You've got a Zoom and a Pro, so why would you need to swap the cameras vs. just flying like it was manufactured to fly, and without voiding the warranty.

I suppose if there was a way to procure the "other" camera as a stand-alone purchase, it might make sense in some unique un-warranted universe.

But aside from "raw curiosity", I just don't get it.
haha rtd just beacuse quality in image lol

OK ... I've gotta ask the obvious question.

Why?

You've got a Zoom and a Pro, so why would you need to swap the cameras vs. just flying like it was manufactured to fly, and without voiding the warranty.

I suppose if there was a way to procure the "other" camera as a stand-alone purchase, it might make sense in some unique un-warranted universe.

But aside from "raw curiosity", I just don't get it.
My opinion; I purchased a M2P, and a M2 Zoom Camera. I have 1 platform, 2 cameras.
As mentioned in posts further up, it's not a 'plug n play' designed quick change socket meaning it's not a connector that is designed to be disconnected daily, nor with any roughness or pulling.

But if you like the abilities & advantages of both cameras for the Mavic 2 without the excessive price of a duplicate platform, this is a nice solution since it's 1 Firmware for both cameras. My opinion, if the M2E Dual shared the same FW... I'd have the Thermal too... but it's not the same FW or mainboard.

It takes less than 20 minutes to swap being delicate with the ribbon connector and mindful of the screw torque.
Not as nice as my Inspires or Matrices to swap... but it's nice to have options.

I recommend to shell out $650 more and get zoom mavic2 body from ebay. In a long term it works the best to have both. It will be new, registers as new and you can get dji refresh for it. I did it and use both, love it.

Totally agree. My new unregistered body will be in my hands by tomorrow just have to try swapping the camera to see what would happen .

Totally agree. My new unregistered body will be in my hands by tomorrow just have to try swapping the camera to see what would happen .
When you order it - u tell seller if u want a zoom or a pro donor body. I guess if matched correctly it should not error at all. Good luck!

I recommend to shell out $650 more and get zoom mavic2 body from ebay. In a long term it works the best to have both. It will be new, registers as new and you can get dji refresh for it. I did it and use both, love it.
First off, M2Z refurbish via DJI direct is $1099+no tax, what is eBay price from a DJI source? Plus my State includes 7% tax on any eBay purchase new or used... eBay takes the tax too!

You’re assuming the Zoom gimbal costs what? If greater than $300 new, it’s more than I paid. The M2Z refirb is $800 more than my M2 Zoom camera option.

It’s “Best”? Totally disagree, why does that method “work out best”? It may be your preferred path which is great for You, but certainly isn’t best! It’s no “newer” than an extra new gimbal option.

For the Owner expressing a gimbal error issue, that’s not normal... you may be better off with 2 - M2 platforms if swapping is an error problem for you.

Best for others, like myself is use the difference of $650-800 on other needs. Much better use of the $800 would be to add “Heated” M2E batteries for cold temp flying in Winter.

You state “shell out”... It’s not just price for many, it’s total gear and package. For my needs, I’d rather have a few spare M2 cameras than have another platform to update or pack. I Own over 14+ platforms, the Mavic being the smallest. My larger DJI platforms each have multiple cameras; and just the cameras on some costing more than the M2 platform... on others just the lens can exceed the price of the M2 platform. A Ronin MX gimbal itself exceeds the cost of the M2 platform and it holds a DSLR Sony A7 Riii & Lens... that body & lens is over 3X a M2 platform. The ability to swap a small price camera works best in many ways for my needs.

Having 2 standard M2 is a total waste to me, and if needed a 2nd M2, I’d grab one used since they’re starting to show up now, and prices on the M2 series will only go down.

If needed more current generation Mavic 2 platform I’d add the M2E or M2EDual platform to gain additional functionality.

Best is what works best for your needs... I like to use my limited funds on more items.

Last edited:
[QUOTE =“Dougcjohn,帖子:793473,成员:40769”]
不错的镜头,有趣的是,你没有配备完整的云台架吗?我的Zoom&Hassy每个都有完整的装载。
[/引用]
两个相机都可以使用相同的云台
虽然有相机错误信息
但它可以正常使用

[QUOTE =“Dougcjohn,帖子:793473,成员:40769”]
不错的镜头,有趣的是,你没有配备完整的云台架吗?我的Zoom&Hassy每个都有完整的装载。
[/引用]
两个相机都可以使用相同的云台
虽然有相机错误信息
但它可以正常使用
This is an English site, convert as needed.

Nice shot, Interesting, Did your's not come with the complete gimbal mount? My Zoom & Hassy each have full mount.
aliexpress has an item that can be configured to be sold with or without base plate. and, both versions ship with no cable - to be aware of it.

i got one that had a complete assembly, but, after i looked at it - the connector for the cable is not really the type that will tolerate well multiple reconnects, that was why i decided to buy an extra body and do not regret it. but, to each - his own. swapping those gimbals will also work, for a while.

aliexpress has an item that can be configured to be sold with or without base plate. and, both versions ship with no cable - to be aware of it.

i got one that had a complete assembly, but, after i looked at it - the connector for the cable is not really the type that will tolerate well multiple reconnects, that was why i decided to buy an extra body and do not regret it. but, to each - his own. swapping those gimbals will also work, for a while.
Ya, I wouldn't advise non-DJI assemblies... the tolerances within micro-connectors even if they included full mount could be inferior in connection tension, or even correct ribbon pin-out. Could cause errors, or possible failures.

You are correct... as stipulated early in thread, this is a delicate connector not designed for hot swaps, abusive cable pulling or excessive disconnects. Excellent point to re-stress to those considering or those that desire a durable cable that can be tugged off & snapped on without concern... this is not that type of connection.

The connector if treated nicely will easily provide several hundred connections... at which time a new interface board would need to be installed. Even at it's low connection rate, it'll exceed my usage.

Last edited:
I’m surprised someone hasn’t developed a connector adapter for a more user friendly connection here

I’m surprised someone hasn’t developed a connector adapter for a more user friendly connection here
Sounds like it'd be a good idea... if DJI actually wanted Owners swapping Gimbals, which I doubt. 2nd, the clearance is marginal and an adapter into a micro-socket vs a more robust board socket is much thicker and you still have the original board micro-socket that may not handle the weight of the adapter for long term. Next would be how sensitive the micro connector and circuit are to additional resistance. Lastly, the additional weight on the gimbal area isn't probably desired for such a low payload craft.

Now if some one made a new circuit interface board with an hotshoe style connector, it'd be a better design.... but at probably less than 1000 units... not worth the investment.

But I'd agree, a slide in hotshoe style would have been a big improvement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007