DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I have it.......

What do you think of this ?

• Give me a place to send my money already!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The WORDS on the sign are a BAD idea

• I would like to talk to you more about THE WORDS on the sign

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ac0j

Reactions
An Idea jumped in my head this afternoon. You fly for money guys may be interested in this.
First off, With this date and time stamped post on an international forum I make record that this is my original intellectual property and may also look into copyright. So any use of this after this day and time, will be infringing on my property. Blahh blahh........

All the talk about unwanted people questioning you while you work, making threats, etc. Is all avoidable.
Also, This is a VERY inexpensive way to possibly generate additional work right in the area you are working anyway.

My thought is to carry a few signs, (which the wording or any variation of such with the same intent is MINE)

Post them in the neighborhood you plan to work 2 to 3 days in advance.. They could be part white board, so you can dry erase dates and times. It would basically read as follows.

NOTICE
A drone will be deployed in this area on ??/?? (date) Between the hours of 00:00 and 00:00 It will be performing a roof evaluation and or/a property inspection for A property owner.
Please be aware that this will include the capture of photos and/or Video of the property and areas of the properties margins.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call our office:
(company name here)
(000) 000-0000
Thank you!

Not only could this almost completely eliminate the unwanted interviews with hostile neighbors, They will contact you to do it for them too, because as we know EVERYONE has to keep up with the Jones's!

Now for a little feedback time. I suppose I could make an investment and have these made in a generic version. BUT I think a sign prepared just for your company with your logo would have more impact. And I dont really want to get into manufacturing anyway.
So What about a licensing deal? I come up with a fair price, your company purchases the right to use my original work in conjunction with their own, and everyone benefits!!

This being said, from this day forward, I will be offering a bounty to anyone that reports to me the use of my intellectual property without my permission. That bounty shall be 50% of the cash recovery after the any action is settled. NO limit.

SEE! everybody wins! I love to travel and meet people either at home or at the courthouse so its a no brainer :D

I will also donate 20% of the total profit from this idea to various children's organizations. ( I do that with everything anyway.)

ETA; If this produces interest and income, I will apply for vendor status.

Lets discuss..........

Last edited:
*clicks screenshot*
Emails to office server.......

There we go! Who has thoughts or inquirys?
This is aimed towards those outside of the USA as well. It is and international forum!

OK, At this point I will not look at any more comments on this via private message. I would prefer that all these questions & thoughts be presented to the whole forum for discussion via this thread! Thanks for the Interest!
But I do like the "put the signs in places you are NOT working as phone call bait" comment.... A true business mind!
You sir will get a discount!

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I think it's a great idea, especially if a pilot puts his FAA number on the sign, and/or makes it look official. Think of how many Part 107 people go out to a residential shoot, unannounced to the neighbors, make low passes over peoples property, to get some good shots. A sign or sings, or some type of notice, might give neighborhood people at least some inkling of who the drone belongs to, and what it is doing there.

I think there are some problems with that. Firstly I suspect you will find it nigh on impossible to convince anyone that putting a few signs out is copyrightable to yourself or anyone else. People have been putting signs out to advertise or warn about upcoming events for quite some time now ;) And how would you enforce any such copyright - how would you know who was using signs and who wasn't ?! How could you prove that a person didn't come up with the idea independently of you ?!

Secondly, you are advertising where you and your expensive UAV equipment will be at a given time and place, in advance, which in today's world is quite a dangerous thing to do, especially if the site is out of town or remote. I'd hate to tell potential robbers exactly where and when to find me and my expensive flying gear ! :/

And I worry that all you do by giving a personal number is make it possible for people to harass you by phone in advance, as well as in person on the day ! There's a good chance that anyone seeing the signs who is suspicious of drones will be tempted to phone you up and have their say, or could even contact local authorities to try and question the legality of, or even try and outright prevent your shoot, regardless of whether they live near the fly-site or not ! You might also risk drawing a crowd, which you would then have to manage on the day in question.

I can see the positive sides of this, but suspect they might be rather outweighed by the bad points.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea, especially if a pilot puts his FAA number on the sign, and/or makes it look official. Think of how many Part 107 people go out to a residential shoot, unannounced to the neighbors, make low passes over peoples property, to get some good shots. A sign or sings, or some type of notice, might give neighborhood people at least some inkling of who the drone belongs to, and what it is doing there.
I have bounced the idea off of a few people, including people that are scared of drones. All though it would make them comfortable, not one negative response. Had lunch with a Lawyer buddy, paid a consultation fee of a few beers, and we decided its the idea I should sell, because I dont want to work that hard!
But, If needed, I would consider a generic run of s 100-200 signs and sell them. I really feel the company should do that for themselves though.

I think there are some problems with that. Firstly I suspect you will find it nigh on impossible to convince anyone that putting a few signs out is copyrightable to yourself or anyone else. People have been putting signs out to advertise or warn about upcoming events for quite some time now ;) And how would you enforce any such copyright - how would you know who was using signs and who wasn't ?! How could you prove that a person didn't come up with the idea independently of you ?!

Secondly, you are advertising where you and your expensive UAV equipment will be at a given time and place, in advance, which in today's world is quite a dangerous thing to do, especially if the site is out of town or remote. I'd hate to tell potential robbers exactly where and when to find me and my expensive flying gear ! :/

And I worry that all you do by giving a personal number is make it possible for people to harass you by phone as well as in person on the day ! There's a good chance that anyone seeing the signs who is suspicious of drones will be tempted to phone you up and have their say, or could even contact local authorities to try and question the legality of, or even try and outright prevent your shoot, regardless of whether they live near the fly-site or not ! You might also risk drawing a crowd, which you would then have to manage on the day in question.

I can see the positive sides of this, but suspect they might be rather outweighed by the bad points.

Consider it like a book. IA specific use of words to convey a specific message. TOTALLY doable.
"have it your way"
"wheres the beef"
see what I mean? You can trademark a single common word as well. Look into marketing anything using the word "wonderful"

Consider it like a book. IA specific use of words to convey a specific message. TOTALLY doable.
"have it your way"
"wheres the beef"
see what I mean? You can trademark a single common word as well. Look into marketing anything using the word "wonderful"

Edit to add comments;
The copyright is a non issue, intellectual property is enough I was advised.
Not everyone cowers in fear of what might happen, You can always use the buddy system.
Happy people prepare for the worst, and enjoy their lives with out wasting time balancing risk vs reward.

I'll put you down as a NO. :D

As to how would I know when people steal my idea? Read the line in the OP with the word BOUNTY in it. I will use my followers to help catch the thieves, and split the spoils with the reporter. Its security that pays for itself.

And, "what if somebody else claims it was there idea" They would have to prove without a doubt that their idea was prsented in pubic BEFORE the exact date and time I posted this thread, and sent a dated email to myself with a screen shot of the same.

Last edited:
What would you pay for this concept / marketing advantage? Is it worth 100x the value of a job it gains in the form of a one time expense? 10x? What say Ye?

As you've probably gathered, I wouldn't pay anything for it I'm afraid :) I'd do the following instead, which is a free tip for anyone that doesn't already do it !

Get to the fly site half an hour early on the day of the shoot, then go knocking on the doors of people immediately adjacent to the property you are surveying.
If you are doing a day shoot, half of them will be out at work, so you don't need to worry about them, or tell them what you were doing, unless you want to leave a flyer for advertising purposes ! The ones that are in will most likely appreciate your personal visit. This way you have divulged no information that could be useful to thieves, only told the people that actually matter, and attracted zero unwanted attention from the general public. Bring a spotter with you to fend off anyone that tries to talk at you while you are flying, or who can be primed to advertise your services / hand out cards to anyone that enquires.

Last edited:
I'm afraid there is very little you can do to protect the IP of this. You could trademark a specific phrase or visual design, perhaps even patent some hybrid sign with a portion that is whiteboard/erasable. But really there's nothing you could do to stop someone creating/printing their own signs, posters or whatever in this idea.

Saying "I own variations on this text" is not going to get you anywhere - it needs to be highly specific, which makes it simple to circumvent.

For the record I think it's a good idea to notify locals in advance of a job, but I doubt there is any 'value' in the idea here.

Contractors of many trades have already been doing this for decades. Signs, door hangers, direct mail, personal sales calls in the neighborhood where they are working. Don’t you think the first guy that towed a banner behind a plane, or sent an email solicitation for business, stuck a 30% Off sign in a store window etc, etc. would have copyrighted their idea if this was possible. Maybe get a lawyer who works for money and not beer.

I'm afraid there is very little you can do to protect the IP of this. You could trademark a specific phrase or visual design, perhaps even patent some hybrid sign with a portion that is whiteboard/erasable. But really there's nothing you could do to stop someone creating/printing their own signs, posters or whatever in this idea.

Saying "I own variations on this text" is not going to get you anywhere - it needs to be highly specific, which makes it simple to circumvent.

For the record I think it's a good idea to notify locals in advance of a job, but I doubt there is any 'value' in the idea here.
I have been assured that it can IN FACT be protected, and I am going with professional advice on that.
The purpose and message IS specific enough. So no need to try and convince yourself you can use it without possible consequences. The discussion I am looking for is a few steps past that! Lets talk VALUE. I am not greedy. Quite generous I am. i could start a special Paypal account and maybe take donations, Hhhhmmmm. What is this worth to someone? I dont do the pay for flight drone work, so I have no idea how much value 2 to10 extra jobs a week could be worth......... I do know the value of having potential confrontation stopped before it starts, but how to put a dollar value on that? I also have a feel for knocking on a block of property doors and risking dogbite and door to door salesman harrssment, I would pay to NOT have to do that! The only less desirable than that is telemarketing.. OOOOPS! some of you may do that, so sorry. This idea get them calling YOU. If you are a closer, the sky is the limit.

Contractors of many trades have already been doing this for decades. Signs, door hangers, direct mail, personal sales calls in the neighborhood where they are working. Don’t you think the first guy that towed a banner behind a plane, or sent an email solicitation for business, stuck a 30% Off sign in a store window etc, etc. would have copyrighted their idea if this was possible. Maybe get a lawyer who works for money and not beer.
Its not the same as a sale flyer. Or resume.
he is actually a retired Nebraska supreme court judge. A friend of my dads

"To be protected by copyright, the work must be more than an idea. It must be fixed in a "tangible form of expression." This means the work must be written or otherwise recorded. This is because a copyright does not protect an idea or plan: it protects the expression of that idea or plan."

Last edited:
Sorry to continue highlighting the problems, but just another point - when did you last see an unattended whiteboard in a public place ? It doesn't happen, because the first group of kids that passes any such thing immediately erases the text, and replaces it with their own creative design (usually a c*ck and balls if the 'art' round here is anything to go by), and invariably not in the nice removable marker pen with which you wrote the original information. They tend to use spray cans. Very quickly I think anyone doing this is gonna get fed up with buying new whiteboards ;)

And there's weather to contend with. Unless you can put them in some sort of protective case (now much more difficult to transport and affix to stuff), both those things are gonna be a problem...

I have been assured that it can IN FACT be protected, and I am going with professional advice on that.
The purpose and message IS specific enough. So no need to try and convince yourself you can use it without possible consequences. The discussion I am looking for is a few steps past that! Lets talk VALUE. I am not greedy. Quite generous I am. i could start a special Paypal account and maybe take donations, Hhhhmmmm. What is this worth to someone? I dont do the pay for flight drone work, so I have no idea how much value 2 to10 extra jobs a week could be worth......... I do know the value of having potential confrontation stopped before it starts, but how to put a dollar value on that? I also have a feel for knocking on a block of property doors and risking dogbite and door to door salesman harrssment, I would pay to NOT have to do that! The only less desirable than that is telemarketing.. OOOOPS! some of you may do that, so sorry. This idea get them calling YOU. If you are a closer, the sky is the limit.

Professionally (and I've worked in area's heavily involved with IP law for a couple of decades) what you've posted here is not something you could protect through legal means. Your options would be copyright, patent and trademark - none of those apply to the idea at the top of this thread.

The phrases you posted as examples such as "have it your way" are short and specific but they wouldn't stop a competitor using slogans like "make it your way" or "order it your way".

If you think you can make it work and legally protect a nebulous idea, text and "any variation of such with the same intent" then good luck. Again I think it's a good idea, and if you manufactured signs and sold them you could make some money, but legally there is no recourse to stop others doing the same.

so. Most everyone likes the idea, some are already researching how to use it for free. Hopefully there is someone with a shred of integrity left and I will get some monetary contributions for my intellectual contribution to their future success.
Probably more thieves than gentlemen from the looks of it so far. I will hold my breath for awhile and hope for a swing the other way.... :D

so. Most everyone likes the idea, some are already researching how to use it for free. Hopefully there is someone with a shred of integrity left and I will get some monetary contributions for my intellectual contribution to their future success.
Probably more thieves than gentlemen from the looks of it so far. I will hold my breath for awhile and hope for a swing the other way.... :D

Lol, I have no need for advance notice signs, so I'm sure that wasn't a slight at me o_O:D

I just don't like seeing people waste money on ventures I _know_ are folly that only end up lining the pockets of legal folk, but you go get em tiger!

Sorry to continue highlighting the problems, but just another point - when did you last see an unattended whiteboard in a public place ? It doesn't happen, because the first group of kids that passes any such thing immediately erases the text, and replaces it with their own creative design (usually a c*ck and balls if the 'art' round here is anything to go by), and invariably not in the nice removable marker pen with which you wrote the original information. They tend to use spray cans. Very quickly I think anyone doing this is gonna get fed up with buying new whiteboards ;)

And there's weather to contend with. Unless you can put them in some sort of protective case (now much more difficult to transport and affix to stuff), both those things are gonna be a problem...
Again. The idea and plan are worked out. This post is supposed to be about valuation, but I keep getting legal advice. You must live in a bad place if a sign gets vandalized over a day or two in a neighbor hood. Whiteboard as you are thinking is a brand I am talking about white corrugated platic signs with wire bases. I estimate a person could by a 50 lot custom printed and have about a $4 investment in each one. Disposable if you will. Come on guys. I have already given you a sound idea. Done the thinking. So let’s stop polluting the line of thought with how you are smarter than me and get back to what is this worth!
Any good business person knows if a $5 investment in a form of advertising puts you name in front of more than 5 potential customers it is money well spent. Plus there is the word of mouth value when they talk about “did you see that sign down the street?”
I see 3 people at this point have done my poll. Obviously not commenting on the idea but commenting based on if they think I will profit from it. Which obviously is not what the poll is about. Just goes to show reading comprehension is worse than mine with at least 3 so far. :D
If you voted and want to change it you can. Now that you understand the intent.

This post is supposed to be about valuation, but I keep getting legal advice.

You don't seem to be understanding that if something can't be successfully copyrighted, trademarked or patented, and anyone can copy it by simply varying the words, all discussion about the potential value of the idea is irrelevant. It has no value if it can't be protected !

But it does have value (of a different kind) if it's just an idea you are nice enough to share with your flying community.

Reactions: Malcx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+