DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I might need to sell my Classic

cammyjams

Reactions
I simply LOVE my Classic (his name is Gus) but as a photographer, I'm finding that I want the reach of the optical zoom on The Pro.
Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but what can I reasonably expect to get for the Classic, drone only? He's got about 150 hours on him. Thanks.

I simply LOVE my Classic (his name is Gus) but as a photographer, I'm finding that I want the reach of the optical zoom on The Pro.
Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but what can I reasonably expect to get for the Classic, drone only? He's got about 150 hours on him. Thanks.
If reach is what you need, pick up a gently used Mavic 3 which also has the 7x telephoto you want.

Why anyone would buy a classic is beyond me. One fixed lens with no option to use another lens for close ups? Not my cup of tea. I love surveilling things from a distance. People don't get as mad. Police don't mind it so much when I'm far away from the action.

It doesn't have optical zoom.
It's not semantics.
It's people who don't understand what zoom has meant to photographers for the last 50 years.
  1. Semantics: the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      plural noun: semantics
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

1698310277861.gif

Reactions: landmark orbiter
It doesn't have optical zoom.
It's not semantics.
It's people who don't understand what zoom has meant to photographers for the last 50 years.
The Mavic 3 pro has 3 Fixed Focal Length Lenses. The Standard Mavic 3 Has 2 Fixed Focal Length Lenses. DJI implies that one of the fixed focal lenses is the primary use or main lens. Thus, RELATIVELY speaking, the 2nd and third fixed focal length lenses are "zoomed in" relative to the "main" camera's focal length as defined by DJI. I agree, these secondary lenses do not zoom. But by using semantics, I can call them Fixed optical zoom lenses when I compare them to the Main lens.

The Mavic 3 pro has 3 Fixed Focal Length Lenses. The Standard Mavic 3 Has 2 Fixed Focal Length Lenses. DJI implies that one of the fixed focal lenses is the primary use or main lens. Thus, RELATIVELY speaking, the 2nd and third fixed focal length lenses are "zoomed in" relative to the "main" camera's focal length as defined by DJI. I agree, these secondary lenses do not zoom. But by using semantics, I can call them Fixed optical zoom lenses when I compare them to the Main lens.
Your idea of semantics is questionable.

DJI’s statements are misleading. Calling a fixed focal length a “zoom” relative to a more wide angle fixed focal length is just plain wrong. The lens has a narrower field of view, but that field of view cannot be changed, unlike an optical zoom which does change the angle of view by moving the internal lens elements around.

In photography parlance zoom as it relates to lens’, means it has additional optical elements that allow various focal lengths. Lenses with different fixed focal lengths are called telephoto. I don’t have the pro or original 3, I have the Classic. The benefit of the Classic, pro & original 3 using the “main” camera, is the 4/3 sensor which creates very good quality images. The smaller & much smaller sensor of the 3 & Pro with longer focal length lenses is an inferior quality image. This is only an issues if yr intent is to get the best quality image possible. The smaller sensor maybe be good enough if yr just posting on Social Media, Vimeo, YouTube etc. There isn’t a best or worst, it’s just depends on yr needs or yr client.

I just bought a Classic from a member here. Drone, 1 battery, charger, RC-N1, Freewell All Day pack for $1100. Had less than 10 hours.

Gentlemen stay on target

The smaller & much smaller sensor of the 3 & Pro with longer focal length lenses is an inferior quality image. ..... The smaller sensor maybe be good enough if yr just posting on Social Media, Vimeo, YouTube etc. There isn’t a best or worst, it’s just depends on yr needs or yr client.
But this doesn't mean that the smaller sensor cameras are no use.
I manage to get surprisingly good quality shots with both.
Here are a couple shot with the long tele - the camera with the smallest sensor.
DJI_20231021123149_0013a-X4.jpg

DJI_20230510122853_0163a-X4.jpg

Why anyone would buy a classic is beyond me. One fixed lens with no option to use another lens for close ups? Not my cup of tea. I love surveilling things from a distance. People don't get as mad. Police don't mind it so much when I'm far away from the action.
Why to buy Mavic 3 Classic? I am the example. I make professional quality photos and videos for stock agencies, and only the quality of the Hasselblad 4/3 camera is what meets my needs. On the other hand, only Classic has class C1 certification for Europe (where I live), weight less than 900 g, what lets me fly e.g. 1 km from an airport without tower permission and not 6 km like with the weight more than 900 g. Also in many other situations allowing only C1 class drones. I don’t need additional tele cameras with small sensors for anything

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2