DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want the mavic to pay for my travels around the world

charliebicks

Reactions
And I want you to help me!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to forums in general, this isn't something I do but I'm excited to join this one! I'm Charlie, 24 years old and from the UK. Currently I'm cycling down the Mexican coast, headed towards the south. So far I've cycled about 3000kms after setting off from Los Angeles in early January.

Recently, I managed to get hold of a Mavic pro. Truth be told, my mouth has been watering to get a good quality drone for a while, but when I set off on my bicycle with plans of cycling the world, buying a drone was pushed to the back of my mind.
THEN, I saw someone goofing around with the mavic on a little mexican beach a few months ago and... I WANT ONE OF THOSE PLEASE.
So a few weeks later, I met this awesome Canadian chap on a beach in Puerto Vallarta. We end up becoming friends and he ends up lending me the money to buy the mavic. When I actually bought the Mavic, I went to the department store in PV, I had no shoes, massive ugly beard, smelly as ****, and using the shops display computers to message my Canadian chap, to try and co-ordinate paying for the drone beacuse I had no money and no phone. Lady attending me in the shop genuinely thought I was pulling some heist on them or something. She said I should be buying shoes, and not drones, which is fair really.

So you might want to know why some Canadian chap - awesome or not - would lend some stranger in mexico roughly 1500 bucks to buy a drone. Well, I sold him my idea. I sold him my idea because I'm sold on it, and now there's actually some money to show for it.

What I do, or what I am learning to do, Is take promotional videos for hotels, hostals, parties, rich man with a boat, events, estate agents, basically any way I can make money from the media from my drone. I've made business cards, and have put a little commercial together from a few little shots. I've gotten work from 3 hotels now, and that is with minimal effort (The minimal effort is not for lack of drive, it is because doing ANYTHING out here when I am out here by myself and armed only with a bicycle and a few bits and bobs takes a long time. For example, I lost my phone. No phone, no drone, no party.).

I approach reception and normally get directed to the sales or media branch of hotel. If it small enough, I get directed straight to the owner.
I speak fluent Spanish, so having some gringo talk back at them and make them laugh in their own language is the perfect ice breaker.

After giving you all of that information here comes the important part. I know almost nothing about drones, photography, and basically anything technical. And I have so many questions!!... such as; how to mount my RC onto handlebars of my bicycle? Am I going to be able to learn anything that will help me do repairs it in the field, or is the technology and construction too complicated? What accessories could someone recommend to me? How much should I charge when I take videos/photos for hotels? Any professional drone photographers around?

I think by now you get the picture. I dont really know what I need, but I do know I want to get the absolute most out of my drone, and I am going to need support from a community that is far more aware and skilled than I am.

Cheers! Charlie

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Try using the search feature of the forum. You'll likely be able to find much of the information you seek.

Reactions: Jerry
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

Charlie, congratulations on your voyage. Where on the bike do you keep your Mavic? Extras you might want to keep handy are extra props that you could never have enough of, extra USB cables, extra battery, extra gimbal lock and protective bubble, and extra charger. All that should fit in a small bag, or you can disperse it around the bike if you have panniers.

Good luck and have fun.

Charlie, congratulations on your voyage. Where on the bike do you keep your Mavic? Extras you might want to keep handy are extra props that you could never have enough of, extra USB cables, extra battery, extra gimbal lock and protective bubble, and extra charger. All that should fit in a small bag, or you can disperse it around the bike if you have panniers.

Good luck and have fun.

Keep mavic in rear pannier bag, definitely getting extra props, batteries on their way. extra charger? Would like too but I can only carry limited weight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ