DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was arrested for flying a drone *updated with video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still might be able to legally fly by your house even near class B airport.
Tampa International has a website that provides ability to provide notice right from the site, and shows a map of where you can fly and how high in relation to the runways.
Seems I have more restrictions at my house 4.5 miles from a regional airport than under same relative vector and distance from TIA.

If I break these rules I risk a suspension of my actual pilots license which would mean I don't work.

Not breaking the rules to fly your drone is about as difficult as tying your shoes. If you're really an A320 pilot you're smart enough to be able to handle it. And calling a grass airstrip once would take you less that 2 minutes and I can guarantee you they'll tell you they don't care.

If you're this worried and combative already, yeah, maybe this hobby isn't for you.

Just swallow your pride a bit, treat them with utmost deference, call them officer and sir. If you act like even remotely like a smart***, they will make your day miserable.
Once a friend and I were shooting hand trap with shotguns on a deserted stretch of a four lane road being constructed that had been delayed for months (no activity at all, no people, no equipment) It was between Baltimore, and D.C. just off I95. Actually it was quite rural. There were no houses in sight, and the tree line across the field was probably a half mile away. No chance of shot going that far.
A policeman showed up. He could see were were "clean cut" professional types in our early thirties, as was he. It was obvious what we were doing, and he said someone complained about the noise.
We treated him with the utmost deference, called him sir, called him officer, and packed our stuff and left. We didn't hang around and argue with him. As it was we were in an area that hunting would have been permitted. We didn't even bring it up!
Six to eight weeks later we were back at the same spot. A different cop came. We acted the same way. We appealed to his sense of fairness about the area was suitable for hunting, but before we got in an argument with him, we just once again aqueissed and packed our things up, told him we understood that since someone complained we weren't going to "demand our rights" and asked him if he knew where we could shoot target. He told us!
No hand cuffs, no fines, no courts, no taking our guns from us.
If I get in a similar situation with my drone, I will follow the same practice. I bet it will end up the same way!
and as long as you keep letting them strip you of your 1st 4th 5 th and 2nd amendment right and are to chicken to stick up for yourself they will keep abusing their authority and you eventually will not beable to do anything.:rolleyes:

Just listened to the recording.... forget what initiated this contact, you need to file an official complaint. This cop made a felony arrest for a misdemeanor infraction and acted unprofessionally. He has opened the department to significant liability. I guarantee you this isn’t the first time this has happened.

Oh, and get a copy of the report!!

Seriously, you should make a call to your local ACLU

Thanks for the information! The police have no legal right to seize any of our data under the guise that we are flying our drones in a location that they claim is illegal. Better to wipe the data and take it all the way to court. Just because I can wipe the data that does not mean that I would be the one to wipe it. Essentially - Prove that MY finger pressed a button that initiated a wipe of data on a remote device. Yeah right! The police in my town have IT skills that are about equal to that of a novice.
Just remember, according to SCOTUS, the police can force you to unlock your phone with TouchID/FaceID, but can not force you to unlock it with your PIN, so if you're about to be confronted by a LEO, disable all unlocks except your PIN (on iPhone, click the lock button five times)

Reactions: Beagle and RBeaton
Something else you might want to check is your state's wiretapping laws. In my state, it is illegal to record someone without their knowledge. Just a heads up. Might want to take this down.
You in Massachusetts? They changed that law recently so it doesn't apply to cops

OP has done me quite a service. My wife gave me a Mavic Air and a ton of extra equipment for Christmas. Been spending a good bit of time getting the Part 107 license, getting it all set up, starting up the iPad mini she bought me. However, I live within 5 miles of a Class B Airport, so no can fly at home. Can't fly at night, can't fly above 400 AGL, can't fly in a TFR, can't fly beyond line of sight. Have a cabin but it's within 5 miles of a private airstrip so operating by the letter I would have inform the operator of the strip before I fly. If I break these rules I risk a suspension of my actual pilots license which would mean I don't work. The juvenile, unprofessional approach of some (not all) on here helps me understand that this is not for me. Hope she can get most of her money back.

If she cannot recoup some of the money she spent on the Mavic Air and related accessories I am sure that you can post those items in the Classified section here on the forum and sell them to a juvenile, unprofessional forum member that can actually make good use of them.

OP has done me quite a service. My wife gave me a Mavic Air and a ton of extra equipment for Christmas. Been spending a good bit of time getting the Part 107 license, getting it all set up, starting up the iPad mini she bought me. However, I live within 5 miles of a Class B Airport, so no can fly at home. Can't fly at night, can't fly above 400 AGL, can't fly in a TFR, can't fly beyond line of sight. Have a cabin but it's within 5 miles of a private airstrip so operating by the letter I would have inform the operator of the strip before I fly. If I break these rules I risk a suspension of my actual pilots license which would mean I don't work. The juvenile, unprofessional approach of some (not all) on here helps me understand that this is not for me. Hope she can get most of her money back.
Would you like some cheese and crackers to go with your wining:rolleyes:Living with in 5 miles of an airport does not mean you can't fly just means you have to notify the airport of your intentions to fly. They can't tell you no. Can't go over 400 feet agl so whats the big deal everyone of us have that restriction. Can't fly at night who says you can't? Gessh sell the darn thing and be done with it.:p

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

Seriously? Just register under Part 336, and call the local airport. If you're operating within 336 limits, you should not have any problems.

Prior to the FAA recertification act, 336 did put restrictions on FAA. However the act signed into law in October explicitly repeals 336 and does empower the FAA.
Now FAA hasn't fully implemented all the details in the new law, and so they said go by the former guidelines, but I believe they can enforce any of them where before they were limited.
So beware. Don't think you're immune, because you probably aren't since October.
If an airport or ATC says don't fly, then don't fly.

I can't believe I read all 5 pages on this thread. No regrets doing so, as it really shows how people regard the erosion of our liberties. I'm not anti-cop, but it's experiences like these that help explain the decreasing respect for authority we're seeing everywhere.

@Lapeer20m - if you're guilty of anything, it's contempt of cop. I don't know whether it's the profession that attracts these kinds of power-hungry individuals, or whether the profession creates them.

Many years ago (when a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER was still called a PEACE OFFICER), I took an intro to criminology class in college. The professor was the dean at a neighboring county's police academy. I was interested in forensic sciences, and was considering a career in policing. The first class of the semester, the professor made the following statement (paraphrased):

After 25 years at the academy, I have concluded that students who want to become cops fall into one of two categories... The first are power hungry, and enjoy exercising their influence over others, with the power of the state at their back. They enjoy watching people squirm at their authority, and they like the perks that come with a badge - such as speeding without consequence.

The second category of applicants are the do-gooders. They want to help make the world a better, safer place. They are motivated by the idea of law and order, and want to rid the world of bad people. 90% of the applicants fit into the first category. And, of those that are in the second category, within two years, they either quit out of frustration and disillusionment, or they succumb to the power and behave like the former group.

About a week into the class, I was offered a job in an entirely different industry, and I never looked back. I'm glad cops exist, but the older I get, the more I realize there is a systemic failure of oversight. Generations of ego-driven cops who receive no discipline after violating civy's rights, have resulted in what you experienced. It is unfortunate, as I think most 'good' cops would love to stop the rogue behavior, but to report a fellow cop for bad behavior is an unforgivable sin - and amounts to career suicide.

I have no way of knowing. It is my understanding that apple iPhones are quite secure. There was the San Bernardino case a few years ago where fbi was supposedly unable to crack an iPhone and apple refused to help. Supposedly they only became more difficult to access since that time.

The sd card would be much easier to copy as its in no way secured. However, there are just some boring flights on there. I don’t think there is anything of interest. I’m a pretty boring person who is quite serious about following the rules when it comes to uas.

LEO needs a search warrant to access any device. That would include to download any information from any phone, computer, drone ect. At least any real PD would abide by this. Search warrants would have to be supported by probable cause that a crime has been or will be committed. Flying a drone, getting a citation, released and not to mention that the DA failed to charge, would lead a prudent person to believe that there was no probable cause to proceed. LEO wouldn’t be able to obtain a search warrant without basis. Any information recovered without consent or a court order was done illegally and could be challenged in a suppression hearing. If evidence is suppressed there is no trial. At least that’s how it’s done where I’m from. So if it were me, I get my drone that was illegally confiscated as they declined to charge.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Chip
LEO needs a search warrant to access any device. That would include to download any information from any phone, computer, drone ect. At least any real PD would abide by this. Search warrants would have to be supported by probable cause that a crime has been or will be committed. Flying a drone, getting a citation, released and not to mention that the DA failed to charge, would lead a prudent person to believe that there was no probable cause to proceed. LEO wouldn’t be able to obtain a search warrant without basis. Any information recovered without consent or a court order was done illegally and could be challenged in a suppression hearing. If evidence is suppressed there is no trial. At least that’s how it’s done where I’m from. So if it were me, I get my drone that was illegally confiscated as they declined to charge.

I understand the Police Can Force You to Use Your Fingerprint to Unlock Your Phone but where I am, Police always get a warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569