DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was arrested for flying a drone *updated with video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have plans to have a picnic and invite as many drone pilots as possible to fly in the park all at once.
Would say you have just aggravated the system that are supposed to Drones.
You definitely haven't helped the Drone community what so ever just shed more bad light on the Topic of should Drones be registered restricted or just banned.
You aggrivated the Police by asking whether you were considered a plane.
That smart**** comment would have had you arrested just for being an **** Droner ... so thanks for putting Droners in a category of Smart ****
Drone Incidents continue almost on a weekly basis Gatwick being the most recent Global Media fiasco the reputation of Droners is Bad **

Reactions: DynoTech
You definitely haven't helped the Drone community what so ever just shed more bad light on the Topic of should Drones be registered restricted or just banned.
That smart**** comment would have had you arrested just for being an Arse Droner ... so thanks for putting Droners in a category of Smart **** **
Drone Incidents continue almost on a weekly basis Gatwick being the most recent Global Media fiasco the reputation of Droners is Bad **
I’m assuming you are not in the US which is fine of course but I am curious..... how far would the police have to go before FMR would speak out in protest?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Police have a job to do and we shouldn't question them.
I respectfully disagree. We should question law enforcement if the situation calls for such and we should do so in a respectful manner. We would not be questioning their authority. We would be questioning their understanding of the rules and regulations and we would be providing fact-based information. Then we simply use the courts if they behave badly.

Reactions: Drgnfli
OK I have taken care of the posts that were reported ( Thank-You ) and also got a few more.
Now if this just continues to be a LE bashing thread I will close .

Sorry reporters it took me awhile to get those but just logged on and didn't know this had even been started back up.
Any issues with my post PM me do not post it.

Yup, talked yourself right into that one. Cop questions me with a drone, I'm out of there pronto. The next day proper discussions can take place to rectify the situation.

I had my attorney handle it. The chief of park police (this park system has its own police force) was flabbergasted that anyone would pay an attorney when I could just go in front of the judge, say I’m sorry, and pay a $25 fine.

My Council gave the prosecutor 2 options: Dismiss the charges or prepare for a jury trial.

I just heard back this evening that the prosecutor refused to authorize the charge.

I’m a free man and don’t have to go to court.

I am an attorney and if it happened to me I would have done and said the same thing as you did. Except I would have been not as nice. I would have told the officer up front that he was violating my rights and I was going to file suit against him and the police department and file a complaint against him. I would then file a complaint against the police officer and file suit against the police department for illegal arrest and detention, in Florida max recovery is $100,000. I have had cases where clients have recovered this for illegal arrests. Many police do not know the laws, and they think they are judge, prosecution and jury. The police officer was wrong and is an example of a bad police officer. I am glad everything was dropped, but this never should have happened in the first place. And, that is the point.

I slept at a Holiday Inn last night and I say both were in the wrong.

Reactions: DynoTech
With the money you saved on the trial, sue the bad cop personally for dereliction of duty and have the defect fired.
Only when their feral ignorance is made personally accountable does it go away. He isn't a cop... he is a thug.

What app on your Apple Watch did you use to record the conversation?

That smartarse comment would have had you arrested just for being an Arse Droner ... so thanks for putting Droners in a category of Smart Arses **

Screw that! Why do people think that the "drone community" needs to walk on egg shells and kiss *** just to enjoy a perfectly legal hobby? God forbid any of us try and defend ourselves incase it might leave a bad taste in someone's mouth. We have every right to challenge.

None of this shouldn't have happened in the first place. From his account, he was minding his own business enjoying his perfectly legal hobby and gets harassed.

What app on your Apple Watch did you use to record the conversation?
Just referencing a OT question- I use this,

Just Press Record

but it’s illegal to record someone without their knowledge in Cali- check your local laws first before secretly recording cops or anyone else!

As for what happened to OP, it seems like the whole thing could’ve been diverted by going to the other flying area the first officer recommended, and then maybe going to the Park headquarters to talk to them about the rules. They may have intended the rules to exclude drones in the first place, however the printed rule was badly written or outdated and obviously caused some confusion between the officers and the OP.

I’ve avoided getting traffic tickets in my life just by being polite and apologizing, turning them into warnings. Definitely worth doing!

Just have to know, how much was the lawyer?

Last edited:
It's always easy to critique an action or behavior after the fact, especially with all of us calm and sitting in front of our computer screens with plenty of time to ponder. My comments will be made with this disclaimer in mind.

I would have complied with the officer's request with a statement like "I'll land my drone and comply with your request, but I would like to discuss with you my legal actions". That verbiage would've gone a long way towards disarming the law enforcement officer (-He truly thought you were violating the law). Then I would've entered "Columbo Mode" (-remember the old TV series?). I would've continued with, "I'm sorry officer, but I try to carefully follow the law precisely when it comes to flying my drone, and from my research, it's legal to fly here". "Can you help me with the specific statute so that I can share it with my drone flying club?"

From there, the conversation would've progressed in a less dramatic nature. The officer's reference to manned aircraft could've been countered with "You know, we looked at that regulation and noticed that it was directed towards manned aircraft. Hobby devices, like drones, according to the FAA, fall under completely different rules and regulations, and our state presently has no direct rules governing flying in State parks. -That's why I'm here. -But again, I don't want to violate the law and do something inappropriate. If you could help me find a regulation that I could share back with my group, you would help all of us". "Do you have the time?"

I've actually used that type of approach before with a very positive response, and to the point that I let the cop "autoland" the drone. -Even sent a copy of the footage by email to him and the City. By doing so I made a friend, and I'm welcome back in the city, and to the point that we've discussed drone do's and don'ts. There's still a very real concern by law enforcement centered around the potential danger that a drone can inflict. That's where law enforcement feels that it's their responsibility to protect its citizens. Ironically, I'm now included as an "expert" in their discussions.

Being handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car is not "winning". Now the paradign has shifted from enforcement, to justification. The officer must now legally justify what he's done, making it difficult (-if not impossible) to go back to the discussion stage. The same with the legal entity governing the park. They now have written an adverse rule that affects future drone activities, effectively buttoning up any future flights. In their mind, the "danger" has been eliminated. It could've turned out differently, don't you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann
Just Press Record

Just referencing a OT question- I use this, but it’s illegal to record someone without their knowledge in Cali- check your local laws first before secretly recording cops or anyone else!
Yes, California is what they call a “2 party state” meaning all parties involved must give consent. Last I checked, these are the “2 party” states. They are:
California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

“Being handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car is not "winning". Now the paradign has shifted from enforcement, to justification. The officer must now legal justify what he's done, making it difficult (-if not impossible) to go back to the discussion stage. The same with the legal entity governing the park. They now have written an adverse rule that affects future drone activities, effectively buttoning up any future flights. In their mind, the "danger" has been eliminated. It could've turned out differently, don't you think?[/QUOTE]

New to the forum and I’m sympathetic with the OP’s situation especially the non release of his gear. However is this thread not degenerating into a kick the cop spew? I’m in New Zealand and like most countries we have good cops and bad cops. Without judging the guy’s behaviour towards the enforcement guys the best approach is IMHO to always try to be an ambassador for what is a misunderstood bogeyman pastime. We do what we do in most cases in the public eye and because of a few we are probably regarded in similar light as are the cops.

Keen to hear how the case concludes and less keen to hear bitching.

Reactions: Trolleydodger
It's always easy to critique an action or behavior after the fact, especially with all of us calm and sitting in front of our computer screens with plenty of time to ponder. My comments will be made with this disclaimer in mind.

I would have complied with the officer's request with a statement like "I'll land my drone and comply with your request, but I would like to discuss with you my legal actions". That verbiage would've gone a long way towards disarming the law enforcement officer (-He truly thought you were violating the law). Then I would've entered "Columbo Mode" (-remember the old TV series?). I would've continued with, "I'm sorry officer, but I try to carefully follow the law precisely when it comes to flying my drone, and from my research, it's legal to fly here". "Can you help me with the specific statute so that I can share it with my drone flying club?"

From there, the conversation would've progressed in a less dramatic nature. The officer's reference to manned aircraft could've been countered with "You know, we looked at that regulation and noticed that it was directed towards manned aircraft. Hobby devices, like drones, according to the FAA, fall under completely different rules and regulations, and our state presently has no direct rules governing flying in State parks. -That's why I'm here. -But again, I don't want to violate the law and do something inappropriate. If you could help me find a regulation that I could share back with my group, you would help all of us". "Do you have the time?"

I've actually used that type of approach before with a very positive response, and to the point that I let the cop "autoland" the drone. -Even sent a copy of the footage by email to him and the City. By doing so I made a friend, and I'm welcome back in the city, and to the point that we've discussed drone do's and don'ts. There's still a very real concern by law enforcement centered around the potential danger that a drone can inflict. That's where law enforcement feels that it's their responsibility to protect its citizens. Ironically, I'm now included as an "expert" in their discussions.

Being handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car is not "winning". Now the paradign has shifted from enforcement, to justification. The officer must now legal justify what he's done, making it difficult (-if not impossible) to go back to the discussion stage. The same with the legal entity governing the park. They now have written an adverse rule that affects future drone activities, effectively buttoning up any future flights. In their mind, the "danger" has been eliminated. It could've turned out differently, don't you think?
That was very nicely reasoned out. Now if only I could do that in the heat of the moment as you said at the beginning. Wouldn't that be great.

Reactions: Eddington
He didn't comply and had to run his mouth. He knew he was in the right so he just had to push the cops buttons. They have to deal with way too much of this crap these days. That was not the time to say show it to me in writing.
Wow

Just referencing a OT question- I use this,

Just Press Record

but it’s illegal to record someone without their knowledge in Cali- check your local laws first before secretly recording cops or anyone else!

As for what happened to OP, it seems like the whole thing could’ve been diverted by going to the other flying area the first officer recommended, and then maybe going to the Park headquarters to talk to them about the rules. They may have intended the rules to exclude drones in the first place, however the printed rule was badly written or outdated and obviously caused some confusion between the officers and the OP.

I’ve avoided getting traffic tickets in my life just by being polite and apologizing, turning them into warnings. Definitely worth doing!

Just have to know, how much was the lawyer?

Just press record is the app I use. One tap to turn it on. It runs in the background and you can have the data automatically uploaded to the cloud. It also store a copy of the file on your phone.

Reactions: BD0G
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin