DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was forced to update in the field, on a real estate shoot.

Stop bitching about DJI and focus your anger on why those safeguards were deployed within the firmware. Because people routinely were flying near airports, firefighting airplanes, military bases, etc. despite being warned over and over to not do so. Go through this board and you will find no limit of people trying to get around the safeguards so they can cause danger, havoc and inconvenience by flying where they are not supposed to.
This is like being angry at the US government for all the hell we have to go through to fly commercially.

Reactions: MavicMo
Stop bitching about DJI and focus your anger on why those safeguards were deployed within the firmware. Because people routinely were flying near airports, firefighting airplanes, military bases, etc. despite being warned over and over to not do so. Go through this board and you will find no limit of people trying to get around the safeguards so they can cause danger, havoc and inconvenience by flying where they are not supposed to.
This is like being angry at the US government for all the **** we have to go through to fly commercially.

Honestly, I know its not the popular opinion, but I don't mind most of the safeguards (except for the national parks limitations). Im a private pilot and the way i see most people flying it scares me what those very few, very stupid people would try and do. What pisses me off is lack of communication. And the way DJI dose what ever they want without repercussion because they own the market. Release notes that dont admit there were ever any problems, forced updates that only effect some people for reasons unknown, removing the compatibility page so that people cant complain when the app controlling their drone crashes 3 times per flight. And because of this attitude I almost lost a job. They put my income at risk, for reasons unknown.

While I understand your frustration, I think your example is really not applicable, its not even the same area. It would be more like coming out in the morning after you've missed alot of warnings regarding new limitations to find your high-performance 500 hp car is now limited to 100 hp. Your car still drives but its performance is limited...

As others have mentioned this "update" was talked about on forums which you are obviously part of; PRE-WARNED on the DJI GO app for sometime before it happened and DJI sent out more than one email regarding this topic. So I think you had plenty of warnings. And if you didn't see any of the above, it wasn't for DJI's lack of trying.

So whether you decide to keep or sell your DJI products, I bet learned to add something to your preflight regime...

I did turn it on that morning, and entered the app, still didn't get the warning till I actually took off.

*edit - also what the heck this is not how DJI should work. I shouldn't have to do a test flight before I leave the house, just to make sure my app is compatible today. NO OTHER DRONE has to go through this. It's like checking your car every morning to see if the manufacturer came by and stole your steering wheel again.

Please scroll down to where it says the update (not login) is required or you will have flight limitations.
The requirement to be connected to a logged in app to lift the height/distance limitations were not sent by email but shown as a popup in the app for a couple of weeks.

There has never been a communication about any firmware upgrade being required, probably becasue as far as we know there has never been any mandatory firmware upgrade. A handful of people have reported something like this but it seems more of a bug than anything else, the conditions for which haven't been understood. Or people upgraded firmware but without updating the app.

I am not sure about others, but my biggest gripe is around the GO* apps. I never experienced a problem with the .400 FW, but one day I was force to update my FW and every since it has been a nightmare.

I switched to iOS and it has been a little better (vs android), but DJI wants me to login every few flights. This is just crazy. Also, I cannot even use the GO app any longer (iOS) because it states there is no connectivity, but then the GO4 app required a login and it worked fine.

So, while internet (LTE/3G/4G) is not required, it is pretty much required because DJI randomly requires another login or you are gimped. The Spark is even worse.

Reactions: omod