DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was forced to update in the field, on a real estate shoot.

omod

Reactions
Working on FW 5, forced to update to the latest or be limited on height and range. Tried flying but couldn't get height enough for the real estate shoot. Thankfully I had 4 batteries because it used a full one to do the update. No warning beforehand, no email saying I should update before my next shoot. No notification when I opened the app the night before. Literally nothing until I took off and received the warning that my range was limited until I update.

This is unacceptable. DJI have crossed the line.

I am now discouraging people from buying their products. If their updates stop you from flying, it's no longer a drone, its a fragile brick.

Reactions: Gramzie
Maybe shoulda just powered it on before you used it and check? I always do if im taking my drone out for the day.

Reactions: MavicMo
I usually start thing up at home just to make sure everything is working right and props are seated.
These days it's a good idea with the recent surge in upgrades.
In another year they will move on to the next product and mavic Probably won't be upgraded any more.

I've had my Mavic for a few months now and I have not yet been "forced" to up-grade. Still flies just fine with the older firmware.

Of course, I have Wi-Fi turned off. Maybe that explains it ;)

This is why you don't update! I can always pull out my Mavic on .400 and fly just about anywhere
I find it unacceptable that I need to be planning ahead of time for needed updates or that I need an internet connection to fly. Most of my best footage has been done while driving then seeing something amazing and pulling over to the side of the road and firing up the Mav for some great video shots.

A few months ago I was way up in the mountains coming back with 2 locals after several flights in an unmapped area. As we where driving along on this very narrow mountain road with a 400ft straight drop on one side, I looked over and at an adjacent mountain about 1500ft tall and saw that 200ft from the top was a 30ft opening to what must be a huge cave. Excited I pulled over the van and started to look at it with my zoom lens on the DSLR. Talking to the locals I asked them if they knew about the cave. One of them who was about 60 years old said to me that from he was a young boy he has known about it but no one has ever been inside it because the mountain is almost vertical at that section and there are no roads to get you over to that mountain. I started to really get the itch to fly the Mavic out to the cave but my batteries were all down pretty low and the road was so narrow that if a truck came by we would be in problems. This is one location I vow to go back to. I cannot imagine doing so with firmware that might deny me flight. It's a 2 hour drive to get to the location and I would be so upset if the Mavic let me down that I would probably blow a gasket.

Rob

Maybe shoulda just powered it on before you used it and check? I always do if i'm taking my drone out for the day.
I did turn it on that morning, and entered the app, still didn't get the warning till I actually took off.

*edit - also what the heck this is not how DJI should work. I shouldn't have to do a test flight before I leave the house, just to make sure my app is compatible today. NO OTHER DRONE has to go through this. It's like checking your car every morning to see if the manufacturer came by and stole your steering wheel again.

Last edited:
This is why you don't update! I can always pull out my Mavic on .400 and fly just about anywhere
I find it unacceptable that I need to be planning ahead of time for needed updates or that I need an internet connection to fly. Most of my best footage has been done while driving then seeing something amazing and pulling over to the side of the road and firing up the Mav for some great video shots.

A few months ago I was way up in the mountains coming back with 2 locals after several flights in an unmapped area. As we where driving along on this very narrow mountain road with a 400ft straight drop on one side, I looked over and at an adjacent mountain about 1500ft tall and saw that 200ft from the top was a 30ft opening to what must be a huge cave. Excited I pulled over the van and started to look at it with my zoom lens on the DSLR. Talking to the locals I asked them if they knew about the cave. One of them who was about 60 years old said to me that from he was a young boy he has known about it but no one has ever been inside it because the mountain is almost vertical at that section and there are no roads to get you over to that mountain. I started to really get the itch to fly the Mavic out to the cave but my batteries were all down pretty low and the road was so narrow that if a truck came by we would be in problems. This is one location I vow to go back to. I cannot imagine doing so with firmware that might deny me flight. It's a 2 hour drive to get to the location and I would be so upset if the Mavic let me down that I would probably blow a gasket.

Rob
You don't need internet to fly. That's a common misunderstanding. You only need the app to release the restrictions. You only need internet to unlock a GEO zone, but that's been there since .200.

I did turn it on that morning, and entered the app, still didn't get the warning till I actually took off.

*edit - also what the heck this is not how DJI should work. I shouldn't have to do a test flight before I leave the house, just to make sure my app is compatible today. NO OTHER DRONE has to go through this. It's like checking your car every morning to see if the manufacturer came by and stole your steering wheel again.

I can understand, when i first got mine back in march i was taking it to the mountains and seen the .550 update iirc. Thought ok just an update and messed with it for a dam hour, ended up leaving the drone home :( to this day even on most current firmware i have to plug it into the pc, my mini 4 downloads it and just sits at 100% and does nothing on the app. It sucks but eventually they will change somehow one way or another where these people will have to update it to even fly. I agree its bs to be restricted at all once i take ownership. I really hope we start to see some big new companies on the market and give dji a run for their money. I also enjoy seeing the community come up with ideas whether it be hacks or old firmware downloads. This isnt china and if they want to sell their **** here, we make the rules.

Reactions: Duncs65
Cry some more, and they'll stop being mean.

Geez dude...you bought a consumer product, not a professional drone. There are billions of ways around it for those with minor skills, but the Mavic was purpose built for the lowest common denominator. Welcome to the club.

You don't need internet to fly. That's a common misunderstanding. You only need the app to release the restrictions. You only need internet to unlock a GEO zone, but that's been there since .200.

Thats what i mean! You need some sort of internet service to unlock a zone, That same zone would not be locked under .400.

Rob

Thats what i mean! You need some sort of internet service to unlock a zone, That same zone would not be locked under .400.

Rob
You still have GEO zones in .400 though. I've never really had the NFZ issue crop on .900.

I can understand, when i first got mine back in march i was taking it to the mountains and seen the .550 update iirc. Thought ok just an update and messed with it for a dam hour, ended up leaving the drone home :( to this day even on most current firmware i have to plug it into the pc, my mini 4 downloads it and just sits at 100% and does nothing on the app. It sucks but eventually they will change somehow one way or another where these people will have to update it to even fly. I agree its bs to be restricted at all once i take ownership. I really hope we start to see some big new companies on the market and give dji a run for their money. I also enjoy seeing the community come up with ideas whether it be hacks or old firmware downloads. This isnt china and if they want to sell their **** here, we make the rules.
Karma anyone?? :D

Cry some more, and they'll stop being mean.

Geez dude...you bought a consumer product, not a professional drone. There are billions of ways around it for those with minor skills, but the Mavic was purpose built for the lowest common denominator. Welcome to the club.

The Mavic PRO was marketed as a professional drone. That is why so many Pro photographers got upset when the video footage was not up to expectations. I also do not think a $1000 price tag on a Drone is one that is built to cater for the "lowest common denominator". I have seen a ton of drones in the $50 - $400 range. It seems when you get to the $1000 mark your certainly out of the toy range. Yes it's a consumer product but so is the Phantom Pro.

Rob

You still have GEO zones in .400 though. I've never really had the NFZ issue crop on .900.

Yes you do but they are locations that are so obviously wrong to fly in. You would have to be a Nut Job to try and take off there. I drove near to a major airport with mine and I was shocked it still started.

Rob

Yes you do but they are locations that are so obviously wrong to fly in. You would have to be a Nut Job to try and take off there. I drove near to a major airport with mine and I was shocked it still started.

Rob
Likewise for mine on .900, but it still let me take off. :D :cool::p

Working on FW 5, forced to update to the latest or be limited on height and range. Tried flying but couldn't get height enough for the real estate shoot. Thankfully I had 4 batteries because it used a full one to do the update. No warning beforehand, no email saying I should update before my next shoot. No notification when I opened the app the night before. Literally nothing until I took off and received the warning that my range was limited until I update.

This is unacceptable. DJI have crossed the line.

I am now discouraging people from buying their products. If their updates stop you from flying, it's no longer a drone, its a fragile brick.
They had this information about registering the drone and updating the firmware in the news and on DJI's forums. I also got an e-mail

They had this information about registering the drone and updating the firmware in the news and on DJI's forums. I also got an e-mail

I have an account, my drone is registered, and I never recieved an email. Can you show me where they said my drone would be bricked until I updated? Im serious. I would like to know the next time DJI is going to remove my drones flight capability.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31