DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was wondering what pilots are using for insurance

Drone_Pilot

Reactions
I am from Florida and I'm looking into renewing my drone insurance. I was wondering what you guys are using for insurance for commercial purposes.

All and any information are welcome.

I've used Skywatch.AI for my last commercial mission. I don't need continuous coverage but got reasonable monthly coverage. which was only a few dollars more than a couple days on their daily rate. I didn't have any incidents so I have no experience with their claims process.

It seems that the going rate for annual coverage with many companies is around the $800 mark. Who do you use now and why are you looking to change? What's the premium?

I do not remember the insurance company that II do not remember the insurance company that I am
I've used Skywatch.AI for my last commercial mission. I don't need continuous coverage but got reasonable monthly coverage. which was only a few dollars more than a couple days on their daily rate. I didn't have any incidents so I have no experience with their claims process.

It seems that the going rate for annual coverage with many companies is around the $800 mark. Who do you use now and why are you looking to change? What's the premium?
I don't remember the company. I'm paying about $900 a year and if I'm not mistaken that includes Hull insurance. But the business has slowed down for me so I was thinking of getting on-Demand insurance but is it worth it and will it cover everything I need including hull ?

Hello, I am in S.Fla as well, although this is not commercial insurance I do use the State Farm Personal Article policy just for the drone and battery, nothing else. It is cover up to 799.00 and that includes accident crash/fire/theft/lost of drone, pretty much everything. The policy is 75.00 per year which I think it is an extra piece of mind. (Maybe not what you are looking for, but I think good to know info.) Good luck. :)

Hello, I am in S.Fla as well, although this is not commercial insurance I do use the State Farm Personal Article policy just for the drone and battery, nothing else. It is cover up to 799.00 and that includes accident crash/fire/theft/lost of drone, pretty much everything. The policy is 75.00 per year which I think it is an extra piece of mind. (Maybe not what you are looking for, but I think good to know info.) Good luck. :)
Do you know if it covers only one or more drones for the $75

I do not remember the insurance company that II do not remember the insurance company that I am

I don't remember the company. I'm paying about $900 a year and if I'm not mistaken that includes Hull insurance. But the business has slowed down for me so I was thinking of getting on-Demand insurance but is it worth it and will it cover everything I need including hull ?
I believe Skywatch has a hull insurance option.

Like you, business comes in in chunks rather than a steady stream. Paying $800 or $900 for annual insurance didn't make any sense. BTW... In my quotes to customers, I include insurance costs on a separate line item and bill them for it. I've not received an objection so far. I would suggest doing the same as many companies require to be listed as a co-insured and should you have to go through the process of putting them on the policy it will take you time anyway that takes away from billable hours.

I appreciate the information might go that route and get on demand insurance not sure yet
For the 75.00 it only covers one drone, as you have to register which drone you want to cover.
Matter of fact I have State farm for my vehicle's insurance might go that route and get on the on-Demand insurance as I don't need it as much as before

I appreciate the information might go that route and get on demand insurance not sure yet

Matter of fact I have State farm for my vehicle's insurance might go that route and get on the on-Demand insurance as I don't need it as much as before
It is interesting that State Farm will provide all risk insurance, including fly-away, theft for your drones (and all scheduled accessories) PROVIDED you are not flying commercially at the time of the incident. My cost is a $60 single premium for the year inclusive of both my Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2 . I also have Care/Refresh for both drones. Having both coverages gives me options should I have a problem.

Do you know if it covers only one or more drones for the $75
I have 2 drones under that policy as well as a DSLR. However, this is ONLY for recreational stuff. I pretty much self-insure the "hull" when I do commercial work. I use a monthly policy from Airwatch

I'm thinking of going ahead and getting that and then just getting on demand insurance through an app. Thank you for the information
State Farm will not cover commercial activity, it's only hull insurance for recreational use. They don't provide any liability.

I'm thinking of going ahead and getting that and then just getting on demand insurance through an app. Thank you for the information
Two things about Skywatch.AI. 1) If you order via the app or online, be sure to look out for the "auto-renawal" feature. I had purchased one month of coverage and was shocked when I got billed a second month. I guess you have to actively decline auto-renewal. 2) The Skywatch people seem to be very responsive. I wrote to them about the issue and received a reply in hours and a refund of the renewal fee within a day or so. I was also contacted by a representative after my purchase to ask how my experience was- not just an automated survey.

It is always interesting to see discussions on fundamental topics surrounding expenses (and expected revenues) for want-to-be “businesses” engaged in flying drone missions for pay. The grim reality is if you are fretting or unwilling to fork out several hundred dollars for insurance (for property loss, liability, etc.) over the course of a year, then you are truly a recreational flyer, not a business. If you want to make a business out of your investment in drone equipment, do your homework, yes homework, and collect and organize your strategy for income production by creating a business plan! There are literally hundreds of templates and guidelines on the web for your use. Otherwise, just fly around your area or on vacation and take some pretty photos to enjoy. Safe flying!

It is always interesting to see discussions on fundamental topics surrounding expenses (and expected revenues) for want-to-be “businesses” engaged in flying drone missions for pay. The grim reality is if you are fretting or unwilling to fork out several hundred dollars for insurance (for property loss, liability, etc.) over the course of a year, then you are truly a recreational flyer, not a business. If you want to make a business out of your investment in drone equipment, do your homework, yes homework, and collect and organize your strategy for income production by creating a business plan! There are literally hundreds of templates and guidelines on the web for your use. Otherwise, just fly around your area or on vacation and take some pretty photos to enjoy. Safe flying!
Forgive me, but I think the statement is a little broad, a bit myopic and perhaps a bit insulting.

Insurance for flying drones is not the same as general liability insurance for a standard photography or video business. There are many existing businesses that are now adding drone services to their offerings and the number of commercial jobs are limited and building, but far from "wanna-be" businesses. I've been in the photography/video (mostly still) business for since 1984 , had a brick and mortar studio until 10 years ago, have gone to freelance work on location, but am now, almost 70 years old semi-retired. However, drone imaging has reinvigorated my energy and I am actively promoting that aspect of my business. Does trying to build a business with new drone imaging offerings folks wanna-be or a "truly" a recreational flyers? I would vehemently disagree with the premise.

My need for insurance isn't what it was when I had to cover a physical studio, $50,000+ worth of gear and operated in a different mode of business that is looked upon as having more risk. Additionally, as a businessman, I find it smart business to purchase on-demand insurance when I need it and bill the customer for it on a separate line item rather than pay for continuous coverage which I have to eat. Carrying continuous drone liability insurance or not doesn't define you as a business.

This fellow has a good discussion of drone insurance.

Drone Insurance Guide from Attorney/Flight Instructor
By Jonathan Rupprecht | February 3, 2021​

I would think that a policy that includes liability coverage for any and all damage that could be covered by a drone crash into people or buildings would be first on the list. Replacing a $2000 drone is nothing in comparison to a $100,000 liability claim. The latter can easily put you in personal bankruptcy or your business in bankruptcy in a blink of an eye.

Two things about Skywatch.AI. 1) If you order via the app or online, be sure to look out for the "auto-renawal" feature. I had purchased one month of coverage and was shocked when I got billed a second month. I guess you have to actively decline auto-renewal. 2) The Skywatch people seem to be very responsive. I wrote to them about the issue and received a reply in hours and a refund of the renewal fee within a day or so. I was also contacted by a representative after my purchase to ask how my experience was- not just an automated survey.
But can you do the insurance by the day instead of by the month?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid