DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I wonder if London is a NFZ today (06/05/2023, coronation day) lol ?

I don't read the news... What's happening over there?

Just kiddin' with ya'. ;)

Probably can't fly a paper airplane during this time in the airspace.

Reactions: old man mavic
A few choppers and the Red Arrows showed how low they can fly in a straight line in formation and that was it. The Great Air Traffic Controller in the sky saw to it that not a lot could fly due to weather. Had a quick look at Heathrow Approach-not a lot going on there either during the “fly past”. Our daughter had a grandstand view of it as it passed right over their house in West London.

A few choppers and the Red Arrows showed how low they can fly in a straight line in formation and that was it. The Great Air Traffic Controller in the sky saw to it that not a lot could fly due to weather. Had a quick look at Heathrow Approach-not a lot going on there either during the “fly past”. Our daughter had a grandstand view of it as it passed right over their house in West London.
What was supposed to be in the fly past?

You name it it was due to fly. Spitfire, Hurricane, Lanc, A400M Atlas,Typhoons F35s etc etc. Such a shame, all that practice and prep.
Darn, why couldn't the modern stuff fly?
I wondered if it might be a navigation problem for the older stuff but can't see that being the problem for the modern stuff. Nothing sounds quite like multiple Merlins unless perhaps Griffons.

I wondered if it might be a navigation problem for the older stuff but can't see that being the problem for the modern stuff. Nothing sounds quite like multiple Merlins unless perhaps Griffons.
Hear hear!

the whole of London was basically a TFR zone during the Coronation ,and i would imagine that the powers that be decided ,that (a) it was not worth the risk to fly any of the memorial flight ,(b) and the visibility was probably the biggest single factor ,not just at the palace but the surrounding areas ,yes the weather beat the Fly boys and Girls

Ceiling was less than 2000ft. Too low for VFR flight.

Ceiling was less than 2000ft. Too low for VFR flight.
Thanks but are you suggesting that the aircraft that did participate would have been using their own radar to verify that they were not at risk of collision with non participant aircraft etc.?

Thanks but are you suggesting that the aircraft that did participate would have been using their own radar to verify that they were not at risk of collision with non participant aircraft etc.?
When you're doing flypasts and especially formation flights it's strictly VFR. Can't risk losing sight of either the ground, other formation aircraft or anything else really.

They won't be using IFR. Only VFR . Hence only helicopter's and the specialty pilots from the Red Arrows that could fly in such conditions. Very touch and go, last minute decision based on latest weather conditions and visibility.

DJI appear to have made most of London a permanent NFZ now, so you need to unlock to fly in unrestricted areas. It's called the London NFZ and it's far more expansive than any restricted areas. About the size of the Hyde Park Zone. Laughably, they don't have any geozone covering Canary Wharf or the Battersea Heliport.

Attachments

• djlondonnfz-.jpg
    djlondonnfz-.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 2

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock