DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ideas for drone formation flying?

Am I understanding the user guide correctly in that the limit is 4 a/c connected?

That’s what I read on the app info.
Also you can purchases with lifetime ‘miles’ or top off for a small cost when needed.
Not sure what miles are involved or if any are included when downloading the free version.

Look at UgCS They are supporting multiple drones in a mission.
Plan the mission on a PC/Mac - upload to the aircraft(s), fly the mission / show

(Also perfect for mapping, facade scans or even SAR missions)

Have a look.

This looks nice. But I think Wingman is more practical for what we want to do. Simply open the app, connect and then fly - no flight planning is necessary. Flight leader can be Litchi planned or fly FPV off the cuff.

Reactions: mereflyer and Keule
Rob, this looks like the ticket. Looking at the app user guide, it does permit multi-peer networking - up to 4 peers. If we have more than 4 that want to participate, we could do 2 flight leaders, each with 3 followers for a total of 8 drones. Or even more.

Send out an email to all attendees announcing your hair-brained scheme and directing anyone that wants to participate to download the app and read through the user guide beforehand. :cool: I gotta see if Tom Baldridge wants to try this with me this weekend so I have a solid understanding of how it works.

Can you layer the 'daisy chain' and thus be both a follower and a leader such that you would not need independent 'squadrons' trying to all do the same thing each with a leader and three followers? Instead, for example, one leader (L1) with three followers (F1,F2,F3) and then F3 is selected as the L2 for F4, F5, and F6 and so on.

I mean, I personally probably wouldn't put my one and only M2P into this flight but I am curious about which system(s) work.

Reactions: mereflyer
Can you layer the 'daisy chain' and thus be both a follower and a leader such that you would not need independent 'squadrons' trying to all do the same thing each with a leader and three followers? Instead, for example, one leader (L1) with three followers (F1,F2,F3) and then F3 is selected as the L2 for F4, F5, and F6 and so on.

I mean, I personally probably wouldn't put my one and only M2P into this flight but I am curious about which system(s) work.
Actually I think I just realized why my answer doesn't work.. if you are limited to a 4-peer 'squadron' then you've already maximized your numbers with L1 & F1-F3. So F3 can not also be L2 and peer to F4-F6, and etc.

Nevertheless, this conversation reminds me of an old TED talk I watch a few years ago. (The astounding athletic power of quadcopters)

Reactions: mereflyer
Do a test run with a few Mavic's to make sure you get the hang of the settings. Nothing worse than having all kinds of setup issues on flight day. That adds to the chaos. A "preflight" if you will. Also consider sending a link to the completed video to Ken Heron's youtube channel so it can be shown during his Thursday Live Stream. He picks notable videos and displays them for all his viewers during the Live Stream. It would be great to get some extra exposure.

PM me for the address to upload the link to if you are interested.

This style of video is rare and done well even rarer. :)

Do a test run with a few Mavic's to make sure you get the hang of the settings. Nothing worse than having all kinds of setup issues on flight day. That adds to the chaos. A "preflight" if you will. Also consider sending a link to the completed video to Ken Heron's youtube channel so it can be shown during his Thursday Live Stream. He picks notable videos and displays them for all his viewers during the Live Stream. It would be great to get some extra exposure.

I agree with the need for a test run. Rob - any chance of a test run with you late Friday afternoon in Acworth? I'm planning to get there late afternoon. We could also invite anyone else getting there early to participate.

Reactions: Former Member

Im doing one later today with 3 drones

We appreciate that!

Yes, we will upload the video and send Ken the link. I'm gonna pull out all the stops on the production of this video (good thing I purchased Final Cut Pro) combining video from the follow-on drone with video from all the other drones - and some snippets from the infamous scene in Apocalypse Now. With the musical score from "Flight of the Valkeryies", it will be epic. The only thing missing will be smoke bombs ... but if I know Thunderdrones, he will put that trick out of his hat as well. ;) Maybe he could even come up with firing mini rockets off the drones ...

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJHind