DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Idiots that ruin it for the rest of us!!

As other have said, likly highly embellished, the clue is the picture, i mean could they have found a bigger stock drone photo, suprised they didnt super impose some teeth and razor blades on to it for added effect.

And as for the 'flying 2 feet over their heads' , what in a playground full of kids, if it had been, those kids would have had that drone on the floor and in a million pieces in no time.

Although you can hardly blame the reporter for the embellishments, probably the most existing story they have had in years :D

Reactions: djib240
I think it’s perfectly clear. I can barely hear my drone when it’s 150 metres away, and that would be even more the case if there were children making the usual amount of noise in a school playground. I doubt many people would notice it unless they were looking for it. As the poster said, if he was following the rules, nobody would have been aware of the drone. I don’t think there’s any need for using the word ‘baloney’ and ‘nonsense’. Maybe a more adult and considered approach would contribute more to the debate, and better inform us.
There's always someone who, rather than looking at the bigger picture of what is some doing Flying a drone 2' (or even 20') above children in a playground, prefer to unpick the precise technicalities of the comment and pedantically pick it apart. :rolleyes: Not worth replying to really. I think we all know that whoever this guy was flying his drone over a playground, he was an idiot and as they couldn't find the culprit, was possibly out of VLOS at least to the observers.

Reactions: Huddy and Callum
my instant thought is always who the fk is using drones to "take pictures" of kids? how did this idea start? where are the mass cases / true reports with FOLLOW-UP INVESTIGATION(s) detailing the mass hysteria created?

propaganda.

Reactions: radman
While we would all agree what the pilot has done is bloody stupid, if he has, I think people get far to obsessed with flying spies. Everyone has a smart phone that can record children a lot easier than a drone could, now we have dash cams all over the place, and the latest fad being pendant cameras. It's all purely because it's in the air...

While we would all agree what the pilot has done is bloody stupid, if he has, I think people get far to obsessed with flying spies. Everyone has a smart phone that can record children a lot easier than a drone could, now we have dash cams all over the place, and the latest fad being pendant cameras. It's all purely because it's in the air...
Agreed but the reaction to this was more of safety concerns than privacy.

I wouldn't be happy if some idiot was hovering above my kid in a primary school playground.

Statement from police.

There are regulations in place governing the use of drones around populated areas and clearly this kind of incident is unacceptable as it puts both the children and adults present at risk of injury should the drone malfunction.

Reactions: Simes
As the poster said, if he was following the rules, nobody would have been aware of the drone. I don’t think there’s any need for using the word ‘baloney’ and ‘nonsense’. Maybe a more adult and considered approach would contribute more to the debate, and better inform us.

It is unreasonable to expect that drones be flown such that nobody can ever become aware of them.

If you want to invent excessive imaginary restrictions that go well beyond the existing legal requirements for some idiotic reason, that is your choice. However, the laws are there to clarify what is and isn't permitted behaviour. You don't get to make up some nonsense just to win a stupid internet argument and get your "like" votes. (Well done on that that.)

If a member of the public is not aware of your legal rights and has the same idiotic beliefs as you do, that can a problem for somebody. Well, you when he gets angry and punches you in the face.

It is unreasonable to expect that drones be flown such that nobody can ever become aware of them.

If you want to invent excessive imaginary restrictions that go well beyond the existing legal requirements for some idiotic reason, that is your choice. However, the laws are there to clarify what is and isn't permitted behaviour. You don't get to make up some nonsense just to win a stupid internet argument and get your "like" votes. (Well done on that that.)

If a member of the public is not aware of your legal rights and has the same idiotic beliefs as you do, that can a problem for somebody. Well, you when he gets angry and punches you in the face.

People who pepper their posts with juvenile terms such as ‘idiotic’, ‘stupid’ and ‘baloney’ betray a limited ability to debate, and to process the thoughts of others and deal with them in an adult way. This is lamentable coming from someone who has a history of picking up other forum users on grammatical errors and typos, especially when one of those people was Polish.

None of what you say above relates to anything I said. I’ve never chased likes. I’m not interested and I’m not that juvenile. I suspect you’re imagining it. Furthermore, none of the restrictions I referred to were ‘ invented’ or ‘imaginary’. They are the rules in place in this country, which is where the incident occurred.

You’d do well to deal with your rather pompous and dismissive attitude to others on here. It would also serve you well to stop picking people up on typos and grammatical errors, because you’re not all that good a writer yourself. In short, get over yourself.

Reactions: Callum and Simes
People who pepper their posts with juvenile terms such as ‘idiotic’, ‘stupid’ and ‘baloney’ betray a limited ability to debate, and to process the thoughts of others and deal with them in an adult way. This is lamentable coming from someone who has a history of picking up other forum users on grammatical errors and typos, especially when one of those people was Polish.

None of what you say above relates to anything I said. I’ve never chased likes. I’m not interested and I’m not that juvenile. I suspect you’re imagining it. Furthermore, none of the restrictions I referred to were ‘ invented’ or ‘imaginary’. They are the rules in place in this country, which is where the incident occurred.

You’d do well to deal with your rather pompous and dismissive attitude to others on here. It would also serve you well to stop picking people up on typos and grammatical errors, because you’re not all that good a writer yourself. In short, get over yourself.

Whoops! I just "Liked" your comment :D Better put my flack jacket on! How dare I!

Reactions: Callum
If they were following the rules the drone would not have been close enough to see or hear. Being close enough that it caused enough concern to cause a complaint demonstrates that. Why would you be flying close to a school in any case? Shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Basic common sense!

So drones should always remain invisible and silent to everyone on the earth but the operator of the drone.

I just want to know where in the HELL you people fly that you are able to accomplish this ALL OF THE TIME?

There's a daycare directly across the woods from my house (my son's, coincidentally enough) -- So you're saying if I launch in my backyard and get above the woods and all of the sudden one of the children or teachers just so happens to hear or see it flying above those woods, I am now breaking the law, inconsiderate, ruining the hobby for everyone else, etc.?

You must live in a true fantasy land.

You are absolutely correct I was technically wrong to say that if you followed the rules you wouldn’t hear or see the drone. I was merely pointing out that if they were following the rules they probably would not have drawn attention to the fact that they there flying there drone. Witnesses reported seeing a drone 2 feet above children’s heads. Whether 2 feet, 10 feet or 20 feet if the witnesses were exaggerating (and I get that they probably were), they were too close and making it more difficult for responsible pilots.

This won’t make any diffeeence to you though because you are merely here for argument. Last post from me. Obviously this forum is also ruined by sad people that get off on being argumentative rather than supporting fellow responsible pilots.

Goodbye!

So drones should always remain invisible and silent to everyone on the earth but the operator of the drone.

I just want to know where in the **** you people fly that you are able to accomplish this ALL OF THE TIME?

There's a daycare directly across the woods from my house (my son's, coincidentally enough) -- So you're saying if I launch in my backyard and get above the woods and all of the sudden one of the children or teachers just so happens to hear or see it flying above those woods, I am now breaking the law, inconsiderate, ruining the hobby for everyone else, etc.?

You must live in a true fantasy land.

It’s interesting to see yet another paraphrasing of someone’s post, and attributing comments to him that were clearly never said. I’m not sure anyone ever mentioned the day care centre across the road from your house. Nor did anyone ever say drones should remain invisible and silent to everyone but the operator of the drone.

However, as has been said repeatedly in earlier posts, there is a rule here that drones must not be flown above crowds. I’m struggling to understand how you managed to draw such conclusions from reading that.

Oh and ‘you must live in a true fantasy land’? Please try to treat others with a little more respect, and keep your bar-room banter for your pub pals.

It’s interesting to see yet another paraphrasing of someone’s post, and attributing comments to him that were clearly never said. I’m not sure anyone ever mentioned the day care centre across the road from your house. Nor did anyone ever say drones should remain invisible and silent to everyone but the operator of the drone.

However, A’s has been said repeatedly in earlier posts, there is a rule here that drones must not be flown above crowds. I’m struggling to understand how you managed to draw such conclusions from reading that.

Oh and ‘you must live in a true fantasy land’? Please try to treat others with a little more respect, and keep your bar-room banter for your pub pals.

If they were following the rules the drone would not have been close enough to see or hear. Being close enough that it caused enough concern to cause a complaint demonstrates that. Why would you be flying close to a school in any case? Shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Basic common sense!

He did not mention flying above crowds. He explicitly stated a drone should not be close enough to see or hear. If I am over the woods 100 feet from the playground, they can see and hear it but I am posing absolutely no risk to those children. Sometimes schools just EXIST, should we really be trying to go out of our way all of the time to not fly so close to spook the children and teachers? Do planes, helicopters, cars, trucks, smartphones with cameras, etc. all have to be just as scared? Does someone walking by on the sidewalk not even 10 feet from the playground have to make sure they do not have their cellphone out so as to not let the kids/teachers think they are being filmed?

However, A’s has been said repeatedly in earlier posts, there is a rule here that drones must not be flown above crowds. I’m struggling to understand how you managed to draw such conclusions from reading that.

Sadly it seems the forum has it’s fair share of strange individuals that are just here for argument and clearly can’t follow a forum thread coherently. Amazed that those at least attempting to follow the rules get more criticism than than those obviously flying irresponsibly. We live in a weird world!

He did not mention flying above crowds. He explicitly stated a drone should not be close enough to see or hear. If I am over the woods 100 feet from the playground, they can see and hear it but I am posing absolutely no risk to those children. Sometimes schools just EXIST, should we really be trying to go out of our way all of the time to not fly so close to spook the children and teachers? Do planes, helicopters, cars, trucks, smartphones with cameras, etc. all have to be just as scared? Does someone walking by on the sidewalk not even 10 feet from the playground have to make sure they do not have their cellphone out so as to not let the kids/teachers think they are being filmed?

What he clearly said was if he had followed the rules, ‘not flying over crowds’, then no one would have seen or heard the drone. It’s perfectly clear. And even if it wasn’t clear to YOU, there’s no need to reply to him with supposed expletives starred out, and going on to accuse him of living in fantasy land. There’s really no need for this level of disrespect and dismissive remarks just because YOU haven’t understood.

The confusion is because you have taken one of my posts out of context. You need to know what the thread is about. So one living near me was seen flying their drone above a children’s playground at playtime sometimes as little as two feet above their heads. A playground full of children constitutes a crown in my opinion. You need to start making sure you understand what the thread is about before commenting.

He did not mention flying above crowds. He explicitly stated a drone should not be close enough to see or hear. If I am over the woods 100 feet from the playground, they can see and hear it but I am posing absolutely no risk to those children. Sometimes schools just EXIST, should we really be trying to go out of our way all of the time to not fly so close to spook the children and teachers?
The fact it's a school is irrelevent.
Even if the playground was full of adults what your saying would still be illegal flying 100ft away.

To remain legal drone would have to be 150m (500ft) horizontally away from the crowd or congested area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simes
The fact it's a school is irellevent.
Even if the playground was full of adults what your saying would still be illegal flying 100ft away.

To remain legal drone would have to be 150m (500ft) horizontally away from the crowd or built up area.

Very true.

The fact it's a school is irrelevent.

To remain legal drone would have to be 150m (500ft) horizontally away from the crowd or congested area.

Well I forget that everyone is not from the same place. I am in the United States, our laws are not that stupid (strict)

Well I forget that everyone is not from the same place. I am in the United States, our laws are not that stupid (strict)

Why do you have to say ‘stupid’? Does your disrespect know no bounds? Don’t bother answering that. I have no wish to see any more of your childish posts, based on your inability to read and understand other posters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead