DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If I got in my car to find some place to fly (in CONUS) right now, where should I go?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Stuck here presently in Chicago. My significant other has been in DC for months and might not be home until June. I could go there to visit in their wonderful permanent NFZ. DC isn't my thing in the best of times. So WTF am I doing here besides sitting on the forum and wishing for weather that makes it conducive to shoot with a purpose?

If I could just get in my car with my drones looking for some wonderful themes to shoot, what/where would you send me to shoot. Warm weather would be preferred though at some point I'll want to get some winter film in Colorado or Utah. I'm just sick of winter and being mostly inside. I know some of you are from Arizona and I've seen snapshot of Sedona, but never any film. I suppose I could go to Florida but I know I'll be there soon once the pandemic is officially declared over and/or the folks I know who are there are vaccinated.

Again, I most enjoy flying with a purpose and want to find types of things to film that I just don't find in the flatlands of Illinois- especially in the dead of winter.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Stuck here presently in Chicago. My significant other has been in DC for months and might not be home until June. I could go there to visit in their wonderful permanent NFZ. DC isn't my thing in the best of times. So WTF am I doing here besides sitting on the forum and wishing for weather that makes it conducive to shoot with a purpose?

If I could just get in my car with my drones looking for some wonderful themes to shoot, what/where would you send me to shoot. Warm weather would be preferred though at some point I'll want to get some winter film in Colorado or Utah. I'm just sick of winter and being mostly inside. I know some of you are from Arizona and I've seen snapshot of Sedona, but never any film. I suppose I could go to Florida but I know I'll be there soon once the pandemic is officially declared over and/or the folks I know who are there are vaccinated.

Again, I most enjoy flying with a purpose and want to find types of things to film that I just don't find in the flatlands of Illinois- especially in the dead of winter.

It's a stretch but we have some wonderful waterfalls here in SC and quite a few POI's around here through the state. It was in the 70's two days ago and this morning right back down to freezing...It's a crap shoot, but even in the Upstate, days are in the mid 50's normally....just tossing that out there....I retired here from Ohio and I kinda like it....no snow this year, and you get a bit of the 4 seasons.

Everything is open here now too...the Covid is here but minimal so kinda mask on and do what you want...most places don't even tell you to wear a mask in the out lying area away from the tourist section(sometimes you get the stink eye though), which I assume is pretty much dead anyway near me...I never go there. It's only 15-20 minutes away..some weird country this is I tell ya ;) Hills and mountains (Well they call them mountains) flat land, beaches, night life..good food..not that I am trying to persuade you, would be a long haul. Look up Greenville SC, or Anderson area, Spartanburg and such.. to have a peek.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I’d encourage your plan to drive to the Southwest, capturing sunrise and sunsets over all those beautiful desert structures. But on your way west, I’m wondering if it’s compelling enough to fly some of the Bridges of Madison County. Since we‘re in offseason baseball and soon football, maybe flying around some some major sports venues would work. And someone on the forum had once mentioned a legal spot to fly parts of the Grand Canyon.

I envy your time and the freedom to just go for a long distance drive.. Stay safe out there!

Hi Vindibona1. The hardest part, by far, of any filming project is coming up with the initial idea for the project. Yes, planning it all out in great detail is also essential, and time-consuming, but it's not anywhere near as difficult.

Don't ask anyone, including us here on the forum. Learn to brainstorm, yourself, on your own. Don't give up. You won't easily come up with anything worthwhile at first, or even after a lot of thinking - but this is when you mustn't quit. It's only at this point when you might hit on something good. But, again, it's not easy.

Although it's true that "location, location, location" matters - and it does if you're filming outdoors - this isn't a project idea. To think that way is lazy. You won't find fulfilment that way. It's a cop out.

Perhaps you'll come up with a great idea to film in or near to Chicago? If you do, you'll be suddenly revitalised and the bitter cold of winter in those flat parts won't matter.

This isn't easy. But few things in life that are worthwhile are easy. Struggle. Struggle. And struggle some more.

I rarely say this, but "trust me". I know what I'm talking about. And it's equally true whether on a professional or personal level. Be a pioneer - in the great tradition of the best of those early American settlers. (I'm British yet love the USA in many ways.) The journey is all in the mind, not behind the wheel or via a road map.

All the best.

@Cicero24 @African wildlife
The internet is an imprecise communication vehicle. Perhaps my intentions and points weren't enunciated clearly.

First, I live in Chicago and can fly and film any time I want. I've already done some unique missions but there is a lot of time to do more and the convenience of living here. I have a few projects in my mind but waiting for the right "moment" where weather, lighting and other elements provide unique visual opportunities. What may be hard to understand is that the lighting isn't ideal any time of the day right now without some other element influencing the impact of whatever I shoot. I've been flying and doing some light filming but nothing captured that I'd even want to download off my cards.

Second, I would like to be someplace where it's potentially warm and sunny. I could go to Florida where I've been many times, but will be there many times again. Which brings me to my third point...

AW- As far as the "planning" aspect, I do a lot of pre-planning with Google Earth and Litchi and would certainly have several missions planned before getting in my car. I want to explore areas that I've never been. I've been a professional photographer most of my adult life and have always shot people or product and have never done scenery or fine art and aerial imaging has opened that up for me. I've not seen Sedona or the Grand Canyone or Moab Utah or many places in the southwest. So to reply to your comments AW, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I've done several projects in Chicago and know HOW to plan a project. It's finding ideas for projects in areas that I'm not familiar with that I'm seeking. If it were logisitcally feasible from a travel/epidemiological reality I'd be on my way to Mexico City, an area that having lived there I know very well with many visual opportunities in and around the city. But because of travel restrictions, both regulatory and self imposed I'm thinking solely in terms of car travel.

So what I'm looking for in this thread is some ideas to get me thinking about seeing/flying/shooting areas that I might not have the opportunity to do were our current way of life "normal" and too busy to think about just getting in the car and taking off to fly in a domestic-exotic place... and Chicago ain't it (nor St Lous, sorry to say... Always thought Ray Kroc should have built a second arch there).

“I've not seen Sedona or the Grand Canyone or Moab Utah or many places in the southwest.” Here you go. You said it best yourself. These places are limitless, and wide open in-between. I think you answered your own question. It’s beautiful out there on the great open road! Or......there’s always Gary. That’s a breathtaking place.

Reactions: Thomas B
“I've not seen Sedona or the Grand Canyone or Moab Utah or many places in the southwest.” Here you go. You said it best yourself. These places are limitless, and wide open in-between. I think you answered your own question. It’s beautiful out there on the great open road! Or......there’s always Gary. That’s a breathtaking place.
Actually speaking of Gary (he's talking Indiana, folks), I grew up on the southeast side of Chicago (Calumet park/harbor) could actually ride my bike to Hammond back then and have some things planned for that area, including the skyway bridge, the ship yards. But is there honestly a winter mission that you would consider visually stunning this time of year where every day is a different shade of gray blah? It's effen depressing here, especially largely being isolated indoors.

The southwestern States of Utah, Arizona, California, and New Mexico are hard to beat anywhere in the world. But most areas will be very cold at this time of the year, unless you're closer to sea level - albeit not by Chicago standards. Many (but certainly not all) of the best places are national parks, so "no drones". But it's still only "locations", as different from an idea for a purposeful project (which comes before any planning stage). If you haven't been to the classic places before, then you'll have more than enough to capture from a tripod level. (I've done books on these places, as a start, before filming.) You are spoilt for choice. Go now, before the huge number of tourists descend. If you're still in the southwest by the time your Significant Other can join you in June, don't be surprised. You can spend ages in Arches or Yosemite alone, waiting for special light or certain weather conditions to get an unforgettable image.

Born and raised in Chicago. That's why I live in Florida since 1970. Florida is the ideal place! Our governor is sane and treats us like adults. All restaurants are open (indoors and outdoors). Covid rates are high though (3rd highest in the US now as per today's Miami Herald). You can look at some of my videos for sites to fly in the Miami area. Of course we are enjoying our best weather now- cool nights (60's), and gorgeous days with azur blue skies and fluffy white clouds and temps in the 70's with low humidity. This weather won't last long though. As long as you keep away from the Everglades and airport zones you should be ok. Lots of great You Tubes on flying a drone in Miami.
Dale
Miami

for some videos of this area check out this web site

Born and raised in Chicago. That's why I live in Florida since 1970. Florida is the ideal place! Our governor is sane and treats us like adults. All restaurants are open (indoors and outdoors). Covid rates are high though (3rd highest in the US now as per today's Miami Herald). You can look at some of my videos for sites to fly in the Miami area. Of course we are enjoying our best weather now- cool nights (60's), and gorgeous days with azur blue skies and fluffy white clouds and temps in the 70's with low humidity. This weather won't last long though. As long as you keep away from the Everglades and airport zones you should be ok. Lots of great You Tubes on flying a drone in Miami.
Dale
Miami

for some videos of this area check out this web site
I'm eligible for Phase 1B vaccination if I can find someplace with vaccine to get an appointment. Perhaps if vaccinated I can come stay with relatives who have a nice place in Sunny Isles Beach where we've stayed several times. I'd be coming solo as my other half is in DC probably until June as acting nanny for our 8 month old granddaughter. It's like Groundhog Day up here!

Sorry but the governor is restricting all covid vaccines to residents who can show proof of Florida residency with a driver's license, electric or other utility bill, etc. We were getting too much tourism vaccination and it was taking away from the Florida residents.
This is from the Miami Herald."State residents need to show a copy of a valid Florida driver’s license or identification card before they can get their first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine. Snowbirds will need to show two proofs that they live at a Florida residential address to be eligible.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article248863634.html#storylink=cpy"

Sorry but the governor is restricting all covid vaccines to residents who can show proof of Florida residency with a driver's license, electric or other utility bill, etc. We were getting too much tourism vaccination and it was taking away from the Florida residents.
This is from the Miami Herald."State residents need to show a copy of a valid Florida driver’s license or identification card before they can get their first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine. Snowbirds will need to show two proofs that they live at a Florida residential address to be eligible.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article248863634.html#storylink=cpy"
Perhaps I wasn't clear... I'm on the list to get one HERE- before coming.

OK Here you go! I spent some time doing these two maps for you. You can see the results in my Vimeo site

Hope this helps.

Dale
Drone flying sites Miami-2.jpgDrone shooting spots-1.jpg

OK Here you go! I spent some time doing these two maps for you. You can see the results in my Vimeo site

Hope this helps.

Dale
View attachment 122807View attachment 122808
Yep... First I have to get down there. If not this winter, perhaps in December as we usually do.
Opthamologist? Perhaps you know or know who my friend, Jonathan Rubenstein is?

Arizona in winter give you the best of both worlds. Beautiful snowy country in the north and warm weather in the Valley. It was warm and sunny here in the valley yet 90 miles north of me it snow covered and cold LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31