DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If Mini 2 SDK support isn't released soon, it may be too late to matter

It’s not unusual for the SDK to take an age to be released. It’s standard practice for DJI.

Back in February or so there was discussion here about work to try support the Mini 2 using the Mini 1 SDK. Given the nebulousness of the situation regarding official support, I'm wondering if modifying the Mini 1 SDK for this purpose is actually practical with the available toolchains, etc.?

Back in February or so there was discussion here about work to try support the Mini 2 using the Mini 1 SDK. Given the nebulousness of the situation regarding official support, I'm wondering if modifying the Mini 1 SDK for this purpose is actually practical with the available toolchains, etc.?
Wouldn’t the fact the Mini2 has occusynch rather wifi make the software complete different? I reckon it would.

That's unclear. Ocusync is the comm layer. Most 3rd party apps would be dealing with higher layers that shouldn't care what the low level comm layer looks like.

Also, if we are after an SDK mainly for Litchi or Dronelink, neither will use a bodged SDK.
So if their choice is use an unofficial SDK or be unable to support popular DJI drones at all, they're going to say, "Oh well, that's the way it goes!" and just vanish quietly into the night?

Just sold my P2P and bought a Mini 2, I did my homework but missed that it does not have follow me mode. I hope that
DJI releases SDK and that Litchi comes out with a follow me mode. I used it a lot on my boat and really miss that function.

Does anyone speak Italian, or have the inclination to understand if there is anything relevant in this video about SDK 5.0?

So if their choice is use an unofficial SDK or be unable to support popular DJI drones at all, they're going to say, "Oh well, that's the way it goes!" and just vanish quietly into the night?
Going off what's happening, they will wait.

Can't see them risking their reputations on using dodgy bodged homemade SDKs. Imagine if users started losing their drones.

The video shows a communication from DJI saying that the Mini 2 will be supported in SDK 5, with (of course) no release date scheduled. Not sure what this really tells us, given the various conflicting communications from DJI on this topic. It's also noteworthy how much speculation there already is on a Mini 3 by the end of the year, when we still don't have SDK support for the Mini 2. And notably, it seems that the latest firmware for the new Fimi drone includes native waypoint support, a key feature that even some toy drones have, and that of course the Mini 2 needs the SDK for 3rd party app makers to implement.

The video shows a communication from DJI saying that the Mini 2 will be supported in SDK 5, with (of course) no release date scheduled. Not sure what this really tells us, given the various conflicting communications from DJI on this topic. It's also noteworthy how much speculation there already is on a Mini 3 by the end of the year, when we still don't have SDK support for the Mini 2. And notably, it seems that the latest firmware for the new Fimi drone includes native waypoint support, a key feature that even some toy drones have, and that of course the Mini 2 needs the SDK for 3rd party app makers to implement.
Thanks, alas that's information I already got from DJI myself, shared earlier in this thread.

We wait on DJI.

I wrote and received the standard reply of "we have no estimated release date at the moment". I actually wrote back and thanked them for their reply plus a little moan about how long we have been waiting. Surprisingly they wrote back again :)

2021年6月8日 GMT+810:57

Dear Client
Thank you for contacting DJI.

We had a meeting with product team yesterday, the ETA of 5.0 release is September.

Hopefully our solution can help you.
Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support

And ... here we are in September. Will SDK 5 with support for Mini 2 actually appear? Or will it get pushed back yet again? /popcorn

Reactions: Jam0ne
And ... here we are in September. Will SDK 5 with support for Mini 2 actually appear? Or will it get pushed back yet again? /popcorn
I feel the same way, I really regret buying the mini2. Honestly people with the mini have a drone with far more capability in flight features because they can use litchi. There are 2 competitors putting out the same class but better feature drone. No dji restrictions on where you can go. No artificial limitations on features its clearly capable of. And has all the features like follow me and way points. The FIMI is definately worth looking at.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The Mini 2 is clearly a superior drone. Take the new Hubsan for example. What good are features that get turned off automatically as the drone heats up! Or when they need to show people how to disassemble their new drones to fix problems that shouldn't be there in the first place. Also, Mini 2 includes Galileo GNSS along with GPS and GLONASS. That matters. For what it's worth this morning I received a note from DJI that still doesn't give a date for MSDK support for Mini 2, but did say that:

Previously, we planned to support Mini 2 and Air 2S in MSDK 5.0. Due to massive user feedback, we have
moved up the schedule and will support Air 2S, Mini SE and Mini 2 in MSDK 4.16.

II look forward to the SDK release for The Mini 2. Primarily because of the CAVU and Lichi FPV app options. Unfortunately my trusty old DJI Goggles RE are now obsolete.
If one has a DJI Smart Controller, you can use the HDMI out port to connect cable to your goggles...assuming you have an HDMI (probably mini-hdmi) in port. Smart Controller now works with the Mini 2 the Air 2S (I have both) and my FatShark goggles work great with them...no head tracking but at least I get immersive video. Love DJI with almost everything but the GeoLocks!!! :(

I feel the same way, I really regret buying the mini2. Honestly people with the mini have a drone with far more capability in flight features because they can use litchi. There are 2 competitors putting out the same class but better feature drone. No dji restrictions on where you can go. No artificial limitations on features its clearly capable of. And has all the features like follow me and way points. The FIMI is definately worth looking at.
Surely you know what it did when you bought it?

Reactions: 94SupraTT
"Today at 03:24
Dear Client,

The release date is out and we plan to release MSDK 4.16 at the end of December. We greatly appreciate your patience.

Hopefully our solution can help you.

Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78