DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you bought a Used DJI Drone and it is still bound to the Previous Owner, This might help…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
On another Web site a member wrote that a relative bought a used DJI Min SE, but it was still bound to the previous owner and they had no way to contact the previous owner and that DJI was no help. This meant that the drone would only fly out about 40-meters and they wanted to know if an application like Litchi would help overcome this limitation.

I wrote back…

"Open the DJI Fly App, Click Profile, on the upper left is the previous owner's username and icon, Click it, and the next window brings up their Email Address, write them and see if you can get together and get them to unbind it or even their password... "

They did contact the previous owner via the email address and the problem was resolved and the Drone is now set free…

Just passing this on…

Did/does it show the email address in full?
The Profile in the DJI Fly App on both of my devices (I use two different tablets…) does show the full Email Address and obviously that member's relative's App did also… @Yorkshire_Pud, you are a long time member and I would have guessed that you would have looked at your profile and I would guess that the way the DJI Fly App displays this information is the same in the UK.

Please check and I ask others who fly the DJI Drones, both the Mini Series (under 250 gm) and the Mavic Series (over 250 gm), in the US and Elsewhere, to check and report in if their Profile also displays the full Email address.

Here is the original posting from DronePilots

Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

I bound a drone myself and then 'looked at' the drone using a different DJI account. I saw the binding but it is my recollection that any information such as email address and serial numbers, if any, were partial obscured. The binding was not that related to flyaway insurance and appeared to prevent nothing so I removed it, so I can't check and I can't rebind at the moment, no drone to hand.

In the profile of the account I am logged into I see the account's email address in full.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
Please check and I ask others who fly the DJI Drones, both the Mini Series (under 250 gm) and the Mavic Series (over 250 gm), in the US and Elsewhere, to check and report in if their Profile also displays the full Email address.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

Yes. Mini 1. Click "Profile", then on my user avatar, and it displays my account email address and username.

On another Web site a member wrote that a relative bought a used DJI Min SE, but it was still bound to the previous owner and they had no way to contact the previous owner and that DJI was no help. This meant that the drone would only fly out about 40-meters and they wanted to know if an application like Litchi would help overcome this limitation.

I wrote back…

"Open the DJI Fly App, Click Profile, on the upper left is the previous owner's username and icon, Click it, and the next window brings up their Email Address, write them and see if you can get together and get them to unbind it or even their password... "

They did contact the previous owner via the email address and the problem was resolved and the Drone is now set free…

Just passing this on…
Glad this was a positive outcome. I know people sometimes worry that the drone they have purchased used is not “hot” and that is one way to make sure it is a legitimate transaction. Glad it worked out well!

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for bound drones. I have several drones, including one that is bound to another account (which I use for parts). When I check the profile in DJI Fly while connected to my mini2, it shows my user name and email address. However, when I do the same step when connected to a mini2 drone that is bound to another account, it still shows my name and email address. When I look in the device management section of the app, I see a partially redacted email address for the prior owner. So there isn't enough information available to find the previous owner.

Of note, if you did have the original remote that the drone was bound to, then you would be able to see the original user's email address. However, if you have that remote, then you don't need the original user to unbind the drone!

Tried this on my used Avata (well before this thread was posted) and the previous owner's email is NOT displayed in full in the Fly app. But I have not had any flight restrictions and the binding only seems to impede my ability to purchase Care Refresh, so I haven't bothered trying to get DJI or B&H to help me change it.

• Wow
However, if you have that remote, then you don't need the original user to unbind the drone!
I think that ONLY applies if the controller has a built in screen and the app is still logged into the original owners DJI account. And in that case YOU MUST unbind the equipment BEFORE you log out of the original account.

There is/was a thread, on perhaps the DJI forum, where the drone was supplied with a 'smart' controller and the app was still logged into the original owner's account. If that memory is correct, the new owner logged OUT of the original account WITHOUT undoing the bindings and basically shot themselves in the ....... foot.
As I remember they were most indignant that something hadn't warned them about the consequences of not unbinding and logging out etc. etc. etc. I lost interest at that point....

I wrote back…

Just passing this on…
Just passing on ...

the email of the previous owner is blanked out
Go to the DJI Forum and PM one of the Mods, explain the circumstances and send them the drone's serial number, they should be able to find the original owner's email address via that. If so they may send the original owner an email asking them to unbind the drone etc.. That is about all you can do.

Go to the DJI Forum and PM one of the Mods, explain the circumstances and send them the drone's serial number, they should be able to find the original owner's email address via that. If so they may send the original owner an email asking them to unbind the drone etc.. That is about all you can do.
I'm in the same boat. I have messaged DJI and they said they can't reach previous owner. I also can't reach previous owner and purchased the item in person with the owner.

Can drone hacks website unbind the drone from that users account?

• Wow
Can drone hacks website unbind the drone from that users account?
Not that I know of,
DJI themselves might be able to do it if they are satisfied that you bought the drone in an honest transaction but what the might accept as proof .... I have no idea.
There are rumours that they have unbound drones but, in truth, it was never made crystal clear whether or not the unbinding had been done by DJI or..... eventually ..... the previous owner .

• Wow
it shows my user name and email address.
When I tap my Profile and I tap Device management on my Mini 2 (Fly App Ver 1.12.8), it shows the Name I have assigned to my Drone in full, but under the Bound To box, it shows the first 4-characters of my email addres, but the last 4 are all "****" for example, if my email address was [email protected] it shows abcd****@aol.com.

Successful unbinding of previous owner by DJI

I recently purchased a DJI drone in an auction only to find out many of the accessories were not in the box, most needed was the charger as the Air 2s cannot do USB-C charging in the aircraft. I purchased a new DJI charger and new props and started the drone up only to learn it was already bound to another account. Sigh…

I contacted DJI Support by phone and the next level support at DJI sent me an email, essentially how to unbind the aircraft, asking me to contact the previous owner and have them do it. The auction had purchased a truckload of Amazon returns and had no way of tracking down the owner.

I replied to DJI with that information. They asked for the paid invoice from the auction, which I had and provided. DJI then asked for a letter from the auction house confirming they were the previous owner to the sale and had no objection to unbinding. I wrote the letter with the specific wording DJI wanted and the auction house put it on their letterhead and signed it.

Within 24 hours of sending that back to DJI Support, the aircraft was unbound and I bound to my DJI account.

Reactions: J. Dub
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S