DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you waited until July 18th to buy your 1st drone...

If I was you I'd get a mavic. No need to get the latest greatest but the mavic is just right not too advanced and not too much of a toy. Easy to learn. You are not going to crash it on a farm. Get yourself a surveying app and start monitoring your plant health using Fake - NDVI. I recommend Drone Deploy. You'll have so much fun. The Philippines are beautiful so you'll be able to enjoy photography and videography.

Thanks SkyScan, When I started down this road it was the Mavic Air that got me hooked because of the obstacle avoidance features, then I looked at the Pro and like the bigger better and the Oculink tech. Then I saw the platinum and liked the quieter props... I was hoping a new release would have it all that is what drives me to wait, but I don't think I can anymore, maybe I'll go MA and not worry about the seemingly minor limitations.

I like the thought of the survey app and will definitely check that out.

Thank you and take care...

Rob

Well even if the July announcement IS a new mavic (it may well not be) they wont have stock to get your hands on for a few months after that.

Whoa, I didn't expect that, I just assumed I would get it soon after I ordered... if that is the way this will unfold, then I will just need to make a decision and jump in. I thought that since it sounded like manufacturing has been ongoing they would be able to ship immediately. I am totally new to this space and assumed I would have something in my hands at least by Sept, the so-called announcement had me hoping for something great, but I can definitely settle for the current best in the specific space I am looking at... I guess I need to watch more Air vs Pro/Platinum videos.

Thanks for the heads up...

Rob

you can get refresh on a refurb drone if bought by dji dealers,save some money and still get a new like drone

Reactions: Romia
Rob you can get DJI care Refresh on a used drone as long as the person hasn't registered it. What you do is take a video of the Drone hovering and send it to DJI and you can get the refresh program. This is what I did bought a used one with 50 minutes on it off of eBay with three batteries and all the accessories you could ever want for 850 bucks shipped.

What would you do while you waited to get it in your hands?

I am 55, early retired, now living a simple farmer/beekeeper life in a remote area of the Philippines. I have never remote controlled anything other than computer systems as a network security engineer. I now have an insatiable desire to be a drone pilot/photographer. I will be buying whatever is released July 18th and bring it back here with me when I travel to Alaska next month.

I have enjoyed reading/watching the good, bad and ugly aspects of this love, however, I need to start building my knowledge in order to prepare myself to actually be a drone pilot. I am looking for advice on where to start, I realize the manual is the best place to start but I obviously don't have that. What is the next best place to start?

I understand the risks and laws but I want to do my best to reduce the potential of making a stupid mistake, I believe knowledge is key. I have time to learn, I just don't want to waste time learning unimportant stuff, Believe me, I have wasted a lot of time reading and watching your contributions here. I just became a new member so I can ask this question and become a contributor instead of just lurking.

Thank You

Rob
Might want to get the Evo first and look at YouTube

And that was for a mavic pro I bought back in February. The most time-consuming thing is watching the YouTube videos to learn the DJI go 4 software, it's quite extensive.

Even if you don't anticipate obtaining FAA certification for a sUAS rating, reading and working through the exercises in the ASA "Remote Pilot Test Prep 2018: Study & Prepare: Pass your test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft –" might be the best $14 you spend on this hobby.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1619545594/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was (and still am) amazed at what I didn't know.

I will definitely get Refresh+ it definitely looks worth it. Am I assuming correctly that if I were to buy a used drone that refresh/+ is not available, it is only when you buy new? If that's true then I guess I am back into just wait and see mode until I get back to the US. Also, I thought I read that the warranty applies wherever it is that you register, I wonder if that means I can buy in the US and unbox/register here in the Philippines. So much to consider before I make the purchase... plus I am starting to feel a desire to own the DJI goggles as well, partially for me but mostly so I can include my family without actually letting them fly it... anyways, I am definitely ready to buy, I am willing to go up to $2k, I just don't really want to find myself going overboard money wise... I used to do saltwater reef aquariums as a hobby and before I realized it I was in way over $20k, then I had a disaster and a severely broken heart, not because of the $$$ but I was really emotionally invested, it hurts even typing it here.

I really do appreciate your advice, I will definitely put it to good use. I really hope I never have to use any of the warranty options you mention, I am hoping the technology has matured to a point where those kinds of things at least happen less. Looks like trees and ocean are gonna be my biggest threats so I am hoping my go-slow approach and the tech will help me stay out of trouble. I am curious about what it is about flying over water that will cause me problems, is it the tech that gets confused about water when too close, will it be okay to fly high?

Take care
Rob
I would wait till the new drone comes out, As far as Activating goes, you will be prompted to do that the first time you fly... don't stop in the middle of activation. I did that and had a really hard time getting it activated after the fact. Registering the drone is on the FAA website ($5). And I believe you have 30 days after activation to get the Refresh program. Other members have posted that State Farm will insure your drone for $60- $90 a year and it covers LOSS and THEFT! Well worth it.

This is what you might be waiting for: side sensors, and a removable better quality camera...definitely worth the wait (If this is indeed what's coming)...

maybe purchase a $200 model in the meantime to get some flying skills... try to find one with "Auto hover" and GPS

Another "Mavic 2" leaked image

I am 55, early retired, now living a simple farmer/beekeeper life in a remote area of the Philippines. I have never remote controlled anything other than computer systems as a network security engineer. I now have an insatiable desire to be a drone pilot/photographer. I will be buying whatever is released July 18th and bring it back here with me when I travel to Alaska next month.

I have enjoyed reading/watching the good, bad and ugly aspects of this love, however, I need to start building my knowledge in order to prepare myself to actually be a drone pilot. I am looking for advice on where to start, I realize the manual is the best place to start but I obviously don't have that. What is the next best place to start?

I understand the risks and laws but I want to do my best to reduce the potential of making a stupid mistake, I believe knowledge is key. I have time to learn, I just don't want to waste time learning unimportant stuff, Believe me, I have wasted a lot of time reading and watching your contributions here. I just became a new member so I can ask this question and become a contributor instead of just lurking.

Thank You

Rob
Honestly getting a beginner drone like the Phantom 3 Standard is a good start. WIFI based will keep you within close flying parameters to ensure good control and flying Technics which you then can use on a more expensive bird like the Mavic Pro or Phantom 4's

Thank You

Rob

This DJI sale might be a good start: I know.... (one more option) to either help or confuse you more...ha.

2018 DJI SUPER SALE

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929