DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you waited until July 18th to buy your 1st drone...

Romia

Reactions
What would you do while you waited to get it in your hands?

I am 55, early retired, now living a simple farmer/beekeeper life in a remote area of the Philippines. I have never remote controlled anything other than computer systems as a network security engineer. I now have an insatiable desire to be a drone pilot/photographer. I will be buying whatever is released July 18th and bring it back here with me when I travel to Alaska next month.

I have enjoyed reading/watching the good, bad and ugly aspects of this love, however, I need to start building my knowledge in order to prepare myself to actually be a drone pilot. I am looking for advice on where to start, I realize the manual is the best place to start but I obviously don't have that. What is the next best place to start?

I understand the risks and laws but I want to do my best to reduce the potential of making a stupid mistake, I believe knowledge is key. I have time to learn, I just don't want to waste time learning unimportant stuff, Believe me, I have wasted a lot of time reading and watching your contributions here. I just became a new member so I can ask this question and become a contributor instead of just lurking.

Thank You

Rob

get a drone,dont wait for dji's new product in july.,many said the mp2 was coming out last time dji teased but ended up releasing a wifi mavic air.
your best bet would be a mavic pro or possibly the autel evo which surpasses the mp in several ways,biggest drawback is being its new is accessory limits.
bottom line,get a bird and have fun.
you can download any manual for any drone off the web
i only wanted one drone but i caution you,5 drones later and over 5k invested the need goes on:D

Last edited:
Where do you normally reside? You need to make sure you activate your drone where you normally live, especially if you plan to get DJI Refresh. If you crash your drone, it'll need to be in sent to the DJI in country where it is registered.
I wonder if new pilots should start with a cheaper one. Usually, the newer one would be more expensive. Being new (pilot and drone), the likelihood of crashes (pilot error or software bug) is higher, and it'll hurt the pocket more if it crashes.

Reactions: Romia
Edited This as typing this long message from my iPhone left too many mistakes:

I would suggest not buying a cheaper one! The Mavic Pro or maybe the mavic 2 is ideal for someone with aspirations and a desire to learn kike you have already demonstrated. For someone who says they have a desire to pilot a drone like you said is not going to be happy with the cheap lower functioning camera and short range wifi type radio.

So do not t fall into that trap of "start cheap". Educate yourself. Start slow and be careful like you already shown you are doing. Wait the 1.5 weeks to see what July 18 is about. Then decide what you want to do.

My opinion is the spark is a waste of money if you have any expectations at all. The mavic air is decent but the wifi system bothers me after using it for some time now

I own and fly regularly the Air, Mavic Pro and an inspire 2.

I have some other posts here talking about what I like about the Air VS Pro. But if I had to have one drone only I would buy the Mavic Pro. In your case wait until the 18 and see what that brings.

I really like flying the inspire 2. Flys fantastic and camera system is exceptional. But it’s massive, expensive and very hard to travel with. The Mavic Pro is a very good choice if you want a good/great and travels well.

I would even consider getting a phantom but again Camera is great but too big to travel with especially considering how close the mavic comes to camera quality for the size and price.

As someone who has had non DJI drones I can tell you that I would not risk it. The market is fickle. Look what happened to go pro, 3D robotics and other drone companies. Yuneec almost basically went under with the typhoon H and now gave up on their own flight controllers! I had a yuneec q500+ which was expensive at the time but worked awesome for me. I started with cheaper drones and hated them. And I mean I hated like you cant imagine, like you would hate drinking 10 day old milk. Guy at the hobby store said try the Q and if you don’t like it bring it back. Those advanced features at the time were just what I needed. The cheap drones people insisted I try to be safe and risk reduced etc are all a waste of money and time.

I recommend you get a modest priced one with good features that are simple to use and you can grow into. The Mavic Pro, fits very nice in this regard. So does a Phantom if you don’t mind spending a bit more and okay with the size

With that all said no way I’d buy anything before seeing what’s 1.5 weeks away. And I have very limited comfort buying a non DJI right now as the market has had trouble building a decent system, staying in business or without real technical issues. DJI despite its perceived problems seems to make a decent system and they have an amazing number of units shipped.

I’m sure lots of people will have more to add and maybe even offer differing views. I have very strong feelings that are positive for DJI. And that didn’t come easy. I have posts all over YouTube defending the Typhoon before I actually owned one, thinking the DJI fan club was bashing them for no reason. (I have a YouTube Channel that goes into a bit of detail with my Yuneec Typhoon H issues, 7 replacement systems. Many of which could not ever take off as brand new replacement machines because of compass issues).

So much to digest. I suspect you will make the right decision as you already said you have been lurking and doing research. Feel confident in your gut and go wth that. Only you know what’s best for you especially if you have put in the work already to learn about this hobby and we haven’t scared you away!

I look forward to hearing back what you decided to do when you do it!

Last edited:

I am 55, early retired, now living a simple farmer/beekeeper life in a remote area of the Philippines. I have never remote controlled anything other than computer systems as a network security engineer. I now have an insatiable desire to be a drone pilot/photographer. I will be buying whatever is released July 18th and bring it back here with me when I travel to Alaska next month.

I have enjoyed reading/watching the good, bad and ugly aspects of this love, however, I need to start building my knowledge in order to prepare myself to actually be a drone pilot. I am looking for advice on where to start, I realize the manual is the best place to start but I obviously don't have that. What is the next best place to start?

I understand the risks and laws but I want to do my best to reduce the potential of making a stupid mistake, I believe knowledge is key. I have time to learn, I just don't want to waste time learning unimportant stuff, Believe me, I have wasted a lot of time reading and watching your contributions here. I just became a new member so I can ask this question and become a contributor instead of just lurking.

Thank You

Rob

Watch some You Tube videos? They cover everything from setup to how to not crash.

get a drone,dont wait for dji's new product in july.,many said the mp2 was coming out last time dji teased but ended up releasing a wifi mavic air.
your best bet would be a mavic pro or possibly the autel evo which surpasses the mp in several ways,biggest drawback is being its new is accessory limits.
i only wanted one drone but i caution you,5 drones later and over 5k invested the need goes on:D

Awesome, I'm 3 currently owned drones in and I totally understand your affliction!

Where do you normally reside? You need to make sure you activate your drone where you normally live, especially if you plan to get DJI Refresh. If you crash your drone, it'll need to be in sent to the DJI in country where it is registered.
I wonder if new pilots should start with a cheaper one. Usually, the newer one would be more expensive. Being new (pilot and drone), the likelihood of crashes (pilot error or software bug) is higher, and it'll hurt the pocket more if it crashes.

Thanks, I normally reside here in the Philippines, however, I do maintain an Alaska residence. I know there is a DJI store in Manila but that is 5 hours away and I avoid that city whenever possible, just not my style.

So I guess my plan will be to do the registration when I get back here, I assume it's an online thing. I wonder if I will be able to do anything with the drone before I register. (power up, hover, no fights further than 100 yards).

I plan on only owning one drone, the tech advancements and DJI reputation make me feel that now is the right time to compensate for my limited abilities.

Thank you for your thoughts and recommendations.

Rob

I really do want to get out and fly, but I think for me, for now, patience will pay off. If July 18 is a bust I'll go with Mavic Pro.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to strengthen my patience, I really do want to just go out and get something but I can wait... I still have much learning to do even if I bought one today.

Take care
Rob

Reactions: lenabanana
Edited This as typing this long message from my iPhone left too many mistakes:

Thank you so much DV for your thoughts, you have helped me tremendously. I will definitely go search your posts as you seem to think like I do... Your advice both educates and comforts.

I don't have a desire to go through the learning curves that so many of you drone veterans have done. I am living a simple life here on a limited VA disability pension and savings. Honestly, if I kill the bird it will be one and done for me (I will get Refresh). That is why I feel good about this right now if I just apply myself and don't make stupid mistakes, the tech and refresh will at least hopefully protect me from destroying or losing this valuable (to me) investment. Until I heard about July 18th I was about to pull the trigger with the Mavic Pro fly more package. I can definitely wait 13 days to see what the cutting edge might be. If it's just a tease, then maybe I'll go MP or Platinum.

I truly am grateful for all of the blood, sweat, and tears all of you who have paid your dues have done to take this hobby to where it is today. I could never afford this in the past, and it is only now that I have enough set-aside to have a little fun.

I am so glad I found this forum, it seems people are honest-hearted, kind, cool and helpful.

I know I am sub-newbie, but I promise to search for answers before I post. This first post was an attempt to find out what you all would do if you were in my shoes...

Thanks again for your advice...

Take care,
Rob

If July 18 is a bust I'll go with Mavic Pro

I would do the same except i would consider MPP. I really like my MP but was impressed by reduced noise of MPP when I heard and saw the two take off and fly side by side. Good luck it’s an exciting time to jump into the hobby!

Go onto YouTube and watch as many videos as possible
Thanks, believe me, I have been doing that, but I find myself either being entertained and awed or taking in knowledge about things I may never need to know.

I need pertinent information for what DJI will most likely offer in a drone. With that, since there is a potential for July 18th to be nothing more than a poot in the wind, on July 18th I might be getting the often suggested Mavic Pro Platinum that seems like the best DJI foldable at this point.

So, I am reading that manual hoping that there will be some similarities that will me help at least become familiarized with the tech and its capabilities. Now I see the value of growing up in the school of hard knocks but I don't have that luxury. I guess I need to at least only focus on Mavic Pro videos.

I can see why you guys love this hobby so much... I too am falling and if money was no object I would be where many of you are now.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks, believe me, I have been doing that, but I find myself either being entertained and awed or taking in knowledge about things I may never need to know.

I need pertinent information for what DJI will most likely offer in a drone. With that, since there is a potential for July 18th to be nothing more than a poot in the wind, on July 18th I might be getting the often suggested Mavic Pro Platinum that seems like the best DJI foldable at this point.

So, I am reading that manual hoping that there will be some similarities that will me help at least become familiarized with the tech and its capabilities. Now I see the value of growing up in the school of hard knocks but I don't have that luxury. I guess I need to at least only focus on Mavic Pro videos.

I can see why you guys love this hobby so much... I too am falling and if money was no object I would be where many of you are now.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Rob
Being that money is an object, I would consider buying a lightly used MP. I just purchased an Alpine White MP in excellent condition. I purchased from a reputable seller offering a 30 day money back guarantee, and 90 day warranty. I bought in on ebay, so free shipping, and no tax. Even the reputable dealers are selling on ebay.

This Alpine White came with three batteries. The batteries are about $80 each
I Paid 26% less than the release price, which was only seven months ago;roughly. I bought the OEM DJI bag brand new from an online hobby store for less than 1/2 the cost from DJI

If 7/18 releases a MP 2, then the market will likely be flooded with MP (1), at substantial savings.
I would look for deals on the MP Alpine White simply because the basic package (I believe) comes with three batteries, and the pure white controller is simply awesome. It looks like something out of Star Wars..

When I was updating the firmware, etc... I discovered two of the batteries had never been charged, which I suspected when I made the purchase.
I have two MPs. bought both lightly used, both in excellent condition. My original MP has been very reliable. I have only flown the lightly used Alpine White once, but this morning' flight was everything I expected, and I put it through all the moves except a range test. So, 'used' is a relative term.

There appear to be a lot of people who quickly gave up on the hobby, or received the MP as a gift and had no real interest. There are many good units available at reduced prices, and the downward price trend should continue. Even the Phantom 4 series is decreasing in price.

I agree with Drone_Video. Don't go the cheap drone route. It is a waste of time and money.

Be sure you have a device that can handle the DJI Go 4 app. Hopefully, you have an Apple phone or ipad. Android is problematic; seemingly even the more modern models can be problematic. It is a good idea to dedicate whichever device you use. Double duty of the device can cause the DJI GO 4 app to compete with the device' core functionality, and the DJI Go 4 app is a system hog. I think it loads at roughly 350 MB.

As stated above, all DJI manuals are available online.

Develop or copy a pre-flight checklist. My list includes making sure the gimbal clamp is off, the propellers are on correctly, the battery is in correctly, the IMU and compass signals are excellent, and that the home point has been recorded. Also, download the free app UAV forecast. Learn to change threshold settings to include gusts. Know your drones wind performance range. It may be relatively calm wind conditions on the ground, but at 150 feet, there could be a different wind speed and direction. The different direction matters because you want to fly out against the wind so that you have the wind at the drones back returning to home with reduced battery. I made that mistake once...not fun. Within the UAV app, look for the KP indicator. If the KP is above 4, don't fly. The solar flares could affect the drone' compass, and bye bye birdy.

Start slow. Go to an open field, and fly in Tripod mode, which is 2.2 mph maximum speed, Then move up to beginner mode, Then P mode (GPS mode), and finally Sport mode. For me, unless I am flying 400 feet in the air (rare), or going for a special effect, Sport mode is not Cinematic.

I highly recommend using the DJI flight simulator, it's a great training tool available in the app. You turn the drone on, but don't start the motors. So, it's a great way to learn to orient yourself with the controller sticks at no risk, and learning to orient yourself to the changing stick influence is a challenge. I was completely turned around in the beginning. Now, I am flying at a diagonal, rising up while yawing with a changing gimbal. This is a fairly complex move that I can now execute without thinking about it, or less thinking anyway. This creates a unique look, a signature style. Upon review I sometimes wonder how I did that.

Be careful about which accessories you buy, if any. Below is a good video emphasizing this point.

Also, unless you have a really beefy computer, 4K is challenging to upload, edit, and render. I suggest be more concerned about learning to fly, and basic videography skills (lighting), before obsessing with the video options, and post production. BTW 2.7K is a good compromise for resolution meets computer capability

It's a captivating hobby that will have you traveling to new locations just to get more video. Alaska should be awesome, and the Phillipines with all the coast line, equally awesome.

accessory video:

Good luck.

Thank You

Rob
You can practise flying the Mavic in a simulator. I use a PC, but it may also be available for Mac. Of course you have to own one to do that.

Being that money is an object, I would consider buying a lightly used MP. I just purchased an Alpine White MP in excellent condition. I purchased from a reputable seller offering a 30 day money back guarantee, and 90 day warranty. I bought in on ebay, so free shipping, and no tax. Even the reputable dealers are selling on ebay.

I Paid 26% less than the release price, which was only seven months ago;roughly. I bought the OEM DJI bag brand new from an online hobby store for less than 1/2 the cost from DJI

If 7/18 releases a MP 2, then the market will likely be flooded with MP (1), at substantial savings.
I would look for deals on the MP Alpine White simply because the basic package (I believe) comes with three batteries, and the pure white controller is simply awesome. It looks like something out of Star Wars..

When I was updating the firmware, etc... I discovered two of the batteries had never been charged, which I suspected when I made the purchase.
I have two MPs. bought both lightly used, both in excellent condition. My original MP has been very reliable. I have only flown the lightly used Alpine White once, but this morning' flight was everything I expected, and I put it through all the moves except a range test. So, 'used' is a relative term.

There appear to be a lot of people who quickly gave up on the hobby, or received the MP as a gift and had no real interest. There are many good units available at reduced prices, and the downward price trend should continue. Even the Phantom 4 series is decreasing in price.

I agree with Drone_Video. Don't go the cheap drone route. It is a waste of time and money.

Be sure you have a device that can handle the DJI Go 4 app. Hopefully, you have an Apple phone or ipad. Android is problematic; seemingly even the more modern models can be problematic. It is a good idea to dedicate whichever device you use. Double duty of the device can cause the DJI GO 4 app to compete with the device' core functionality, and the DJI Go 4 app is a system hog. I think it loads at roughly 350 MB.

Develop or copy a pre-flight checklist. My list includes making sure the gimbal clamp is off, the propellers are on correctly, the battery is in correctly, the IMU and compass signals are excellent, and that the home point has been recorded. Also, download the free app UAV forecast. Learn to change threshold settings to include gusts. Know your drones wind performance range. It may be relatively calm wind conditions on the ground, but at 150 feet, there could be a different wind speed and direction. The different direction matters because you want to fly out against the wind so that you have the wind at the drones back returning to home with reduced battery. I made that mistake once...not fun. Within the UAV app, look for the KP indicator. If the KP is above 4, don't fly. The solar flares could affect the drone' compass, and bye bye birdy.

Start slow. Go to an open field, and fly in Tripod mode, which is 2.2 mph maximum speed, Then move up to beginner mode, Then P mode (GPS mode), and finally Sport mode. For me, unless I am flying 400 feet in the air (rare), or going for a special effect, Sport mode is not Cinematic.

I highly recommend using the DJI flight simulator, it's a great training tool available in the app. You turn the drone on, but don't start the motors. So, it's a great way to learn to orient yourself with the controller sticks at no risk, and learning to orient yourself to the changing stick influence is a challenge. I was completely turned around in the beginning. Now, I am flying at a diagonal, rising up while yawing with a changing gimbal. This is a fairly complex move that I can now execute without thinking about it, or less thinking anyway. This creates a unique look, a signature style. Upon review I sometimes wonder how I did that.

Be careful about which accessories you buy, if any. Below is a good video emphasizing this point.

Also, unless you have a really beefy computer, 4K is challenging to upload, edit, and render. I suggest be more concerned about learning to fly, and basic videography skills (lighting), before obsessing with the video options, and post production. BTW 2.7K is a good compromise for resolution meets computer capability

It's a captivating hobby that will have you traveling to new locations just to get more video. Alaska should be awesome, and the Phillipines with all the coast line, equally awesome.

accessory video:

Good luck.

for the OP (Romia)
The prospect of a used MP will save you money. The draw back based on my perception of your situation is that you have a desire to have the refresh warranty (See if you can get refresh + BTW) warranty. It will give you extra warranty, and one (or two?) more replacements should you need them. Its very unlikely you will need it. But if you can afford the refresh or refresh + with a new one it will give you a bit of peace of mind. I believe you indicated that spare cash for this hobby needs to be saved over time, so the extra warranty would be wise if affordable for you.

The other thing to know is that many Visa and Master Cards and I think even Amex offer extended warranty double up to an extra year. If you plan on paying with a credit card, check to see if yours offer this for the drone also. This may save you some warranty costs, but it will not give you replacement if the whole thing gets damaged. so some protection, not as much as DJI Care Refresh Plus, but its free with your credit card if that's available to you. If you smash up the whole thing btw they will pay to repair up to the value of your purchase. Often times all it takes is a letter from the repair shop saying its not repairable and they will cut you a check for your purchase price to buy a new one. I have never myself used it for a drone, but I had an RC car catch fire and they bought me a new one. Mind you my house just about burned own if not for the fire department - all because of an illegal import of a cleaning solution that was a combustible metal and a spark from the servo set it all into motion, but that's a story for another day!

I think your on the right track. Take it slow, don't get too bold, and confidence will come really quick, but remain diligent - once you start flying and seeing how stable these are when in GPS mode anyways, you will quickly feel like your in control. Do not get too comfortable too early, this will increase your chance of damages.

As a side note learn about how GPS works, as you will be depending on that for your flights. Never take off with less than 14 satellite either. Some people say 10, but you can have 10, take off and loose lien of sight to a GPS satellite (they orbit the earth) and it will go into ATTI mode (Manual flight) and if you don't know how to fly that way, your breaking it!). So with 14 confirmed if the GPS system looses sight to one or 2 while you take off, you will still have more then the min 10 needed.

Flying between close buildings is also very risky, or in canyon walls for example is also risk (I have some of those crazy flights on my Channel :). Other discussed flying under bridges etc I have a decent post on there about GPS and others posted lots of things you might not think about yet, and ideas that sound good for managing lost signal and return to home etc.

Also; most "crashes" I have had are low to ground, and normaly I hit a tree - even at 30 feet + up when I hit a tree the spruce in my case as slowed the fall, and I have only broke props. I also started flying in the winter as the snow makes for a softer unplanned landing! but that may not an option for you based on your Geo.

But what ever you do, do not fly over water when your learning! this will cause you trouble almost for sure. Avoid water until you have confidence, and even then don't fly too low. I have a moment where my Air touched the river as it wanted to auto land. I was beign bold and wanted to fly a few feet about the river.... forgot to turn off the assistance systems! So save your self the grief and just avoid water (which also makes recovery sometimes impossible should you crash, and you need to return the broken drone to DJI for DJI warranty to be valid BTW).

Reactions: TxAg81 and Romia

accessory video:

Good luck.

Thanks, Drone-on... with today's stinky announcement I am trying to find a slightly used platinum fly more package. I am also considering the Costco deal here seems like a good deal and maybe if a new Mavic is ever released, the goggles should work with it as well. Maybe I'll be a two drone owner, I haven't even touched one yet and I feel the addiction. Realistically, since I won't be arriving back in AK until mid-August, and will be shipping whatever I get there and carry it back with me, I also might try to exercise patience as well. There are no discounts to be had from local DJI seller in Manila so no matter what I won't be getting any hands-on until mid-Aug.

Thanks for all of the advice you also so thoroughly detailed, I am definitely learning a bunch already. I will definitely apply the go-slow methodology you mentioned, it totally makes sense to me... what awesome technology to include practical features that I can use to build confidence and skill. Thanks for the checklist, I am sure I will use that as a model for my own pre-flight checklist.

As for devices I only have a Samsung Edge7 and an iPad Pro... I hope I can make either of these devices work with whatever I decide to get. I am so looking forward to getting my feet wet, it is a great time to begin, the hardest part is waiting for the next shoe to drop, I really do want to start now knowing I have the best but since my circumstances are forcing me to wait I guess I can do that but not for too long.

I am sure this same patience will hopefully keep me from getting ahead of myself when I actually get behind the sticks of my own drone...

Take care and thanks again for the awesome advice...

Rob

Well even if the July announcement IS a new mavic (it may well not be) they wont have stock to get your hands on for a few months after that.

If I was you I'd get a mavic. No need to get the latest greatest but the mavic is just right not too advanced and not too much of a toy. Easy to learn. You are not going to crash it on a farm. Get yourself a surveying app and start monitoring your plant health using Fake - NDVI. I recommend Drone Deploy. You'll have so much fun. The Philippines are beautiful so you'll be able to enjoy photography and videography.

for the OP (Romia)
The prospect of a used MP will save you money. The draw back based on my perception of your situation is that you have a desire to have the refresh warranty (See if you can get refresh + BTW) warranty. It will give you extra warranty, and one (or two?) more replacements should you need them. Its very unlikely you will need it. But if you can afford the refresh or refresh + with a new one it will give you a bit of peace of mind. I believe you indicated that spare cash for this hobby needs to be saved over time, so the extra warranty would be wise if affordable for you.

The other thing to know is that many Visa and Master Cards and I think even Amex offer extended warranty double up to an extra year. If you plan on paying with a credit card, check to see if yours offer this for the drone also. This may save you some warranty costs, but it will not give you replacement if the whole thing gets damaged. so some protection, not as much as DJI Care Refresh Plus, but its free with your credit card if that's available to you. If you smash up the whole thing btw they will pay to repair up to the value of your purchase. Often times all it takes is a letter from the repair shop saying its not repairable and they will cut you a check for your purchase price to buy a new one. I have never myself used it for a drone, but I had an RC car catch fire and they bought me a new one. Mind you my house just about burned own if not for the fire department - all because of an illegal import of a cleaning solution that was a combustible metal and a spark from the servo set it all into motion, but that's a story for another day!

I think your on the right track. Take it slow, don't get too bold, and confidence will come really quick, but remain diligent - once you start flying and seeing how stable these are when in GPS mode anyways, you will quickly feel like your in control. Do not get too comfortable too early, this will increase your chance of damages.

As a side note learn about how GPS works, as you will be depending on that for your flights. Never take off with less than 14 satellite either. Some people say 10, but you can have 10, take off and loose lien of sight to a GPS satellite (they orbit the earth) and it will go into ATTI mode (Manual flight) and if you don't know how to fly that way, your breaking it!). So with 14 confirmed if the GPS system looses sight to one or 2 while you take off, you will still have more then the min 10 needed.

Flying between close buildings is also very risky, or in canyon walls for example is also risk (I have some of those crazy flights on my Channel :). Other discussed flying under bridges etc I have a decent post on there about GPS and others posted lots of things you might not think about yet, and ideas that sound good for managing lost signal and return to home etc.

Also; most "crashes" I have had are low to ground, and normaly I hit a tree - even at 30 feet + up when I hit a tree the spruce in my case as slowed the fall, and I have only broke props. I also started flying in the winter as the snow makes for a softer unplanned landing! but that may not an option for you based on your Geo.

But what ever you do, do not fly over water when your learning! this will cause you trouble almost for sure. Avoid water until you have confidence, and even then don't fly too low. I have a moment where my Air touched the river as it wanted to auto land. I was beign bold and wanted to fly a few feet about the river.... forgot to turn off the assistance systems! So save your self the grief and just avoid water (which also makes recovery sometimes impossible should you crash, and you need to return the broken drone to DJI for DJI warranty to be valid BTW).

I will definitely get Refresh+ it definitely looks worth it. Am I assuming correctly that if I were to buy a used drone that refresh/+ is not available, it is only when you buy new? If that's true then I guess I am back into just wait and see mode until I get back to the US. Also, I thought I read that the warranty applies wherever it is that you register, I wonder if that means I can buy in the US and unbox/register here in the Philippines. So much to consider before I make the purchase... plus I am starting to feel a desire to own the DJI goggles as well, partially for me but mostly so I can include my family without actually letting them fly it... anyways, I am definitely ready to buy, I am willing to go up to $2k, I just don't really want to find myself going overboard money wise... I used to do saltwater reef aquariums as a hobby and before I realized it I was in way over $20k, then I had a disaster and a severely broken heart, not because of the $$$ but I was really emotionally invested, it hurts even typing it here.

I really do appreciate your advice, I will definitely put it to good use. I really hope I never have to use any of the warranty options you mention, I am hoping the technology has matured to a point where those kinds of things at least happen less. Looks like trees and ocean are gonna be my biggest threats so I am hoping my go-slow approach and the tech will help me stay out of trouble. I am curious about what it is about flying over water that will cause me problems, is it the tech that gets confused about water when too close, will it be okay to fly high?

Take care
Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000