DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you want to have "fun"...take a look what is coming...

I for one, will be happy to jump ship and use a quadcopter from one of their competitors but I will be happy to give them a piece of my mind.

I didnt buy my UAS so that I would have to go way out in the country to fly it. If they are going to require a cell data connection, than the chances of me having that connection way out in the country is slim to none.

Theres a point where they are gonna go too far.

Come on stop this racist behavior. Whatever country you are from, I am able to tell similar stories about it for sure...

BTT

Last edited:
I for one, will be happy to jump ship and use a quadcopter from one of their competitors but I will be happy to give them a piece of my mind.

I didnt buy my UAS so that I would have to go way out in the country to fly it. If they are going to require a cell data connection, than the chances of me having that connection way out in the country is slim to none.

Theres a point where they are gonna go too far.

So true. That requirement for having a live connection is nonsense. Sign in to fly?? There goes those vacation shots in areas of no cell phone reception. "I can't fly because I don't have phone service" DJI needs to roll that one back.

Reactions: Mavman and Lensman
So true. That requirement for having a live connection is nonsense. Sign in to fly?? There goes those vacation shots in areas of no cell phone reception. "I can't fly because I don't have phone service" DJI needs to roll that one back.
Please get yourself some facts before ranting. You sign into the app once. Then fly wherever you want with or without cell phone reception. Even in China :)

Reactions: Rbruz
Please get yourself some facts before ranting. You sign into the app once. Then fly wherever you want with or without cell phone reception. Even in China :)

So tell me, have u upgraded to .800? If so, will it let me fly in NFZ's that it currently will let me unlock? Those areas that I currently can just acknowledge that I am in a controlled area and take full responsibility for my flight and actions, do they remain as is? Or will DJI completely deny me access to fly?

So tell me, have u upgraded to .800? If so, will it let me fly in NFZ's that it currently will let me unlock? Those areas that I currently can just acknowledge that I am in a controlled area and take full responsibility for my flight and actions, do they remain as is? Or will DJI completely deny me access to fly?

It doesn't matter if you are in 0.6, 0.7 or 0.8 (I do not know about 0.4 or 0.5 as mine came with FW 0.6), the NFZs in China gets updated with the latest restrictions. I was still getting locked out of the updated areas even on the older FW. The moment I turned the MP on, there was a message saying NFZ in this locality had been updated. You don't have to be on 0.8 inorder for this to be in effect. In my experience, it happened to all FW.

The difference... Is that once connected online. I was required to verify my account with a China only phone number. Obviously I didn't have a local number. I had to disconnect from the Wi-Fi as it was tracing my location. Fortunately, I had a Hong Kong SIM card that allowed me to VPN back to Hong Kong. That was the only way I could proceed with the DJI Go 4 app. Everytime I tried to access the app with the Wi-Fi on, there will be a trigger for me to verify my account.

It doesn't matter if you are in 0.6, 0.7 or 0.8 (I do not know about 0.4 or 0.5 as mine came with FW 0.6), the NFZs in China gets updated with the latest restrictions. I was still getting locked out of the updated areas even on the older FW. The moment I turned the MP on, there was a message saying NFZ in this locality had been updated. You don't have to be on 0.8 inorder for this to be in effect. In my experience, it happened to all FW.

The difference... Is that once connected online. I was required to verify my account with a China only phone number. Obviously I didn't have a local number. I had to disconnect from the Wi-Fi as it was tracing my location. Fortunately, I had a Hong Kong SIM card that allowed me to VPN back to Hong Kong. That was the only way I could proceed with the DJI Go 4 app. Everytime I tried to access the app with the Wi-Fi on, there will be a trigger for me to verify my account.
Your talking about the software (GO4 app) telling you about an update to the NFZ not the FW ----- what version GO4 are you on ?

If you have a device that is always offline, then nothing can be pushed onto it...

In theory yes, provided the latest FW you are updating to, does not come pre-packaged with the updated NFZ. However, I believe it won't be, as it doesn't make much sense to.

You would however need to download the maps into your device, and downloading them means being online. Being online means DJI can push the updates directly to your app. So staying on an older firmware just to avoid the NFZ restrictions is going to be pretty much useless. If you are not meant to fly in that area, just accept it. The airspace does not belong to you alone. Go ahead and upgrade your FW, it is not going to make much of a difference when the time comes.

Syke , I'm not looking to argue with you and yes it is true what you say if you did upgrade to the latest FW and App
However if you downgrade and use a firewall to block any updates to the app you'll be good to go -- DJI can not update your FW without your acceptance otherwise it will be a forced issue that will lead to legal issues for sure
People that are downgrading there FW are also downgrading there GO4 app too to where the NFZ issues are not an issue
For the following simple reasons :
1 -- The downgraded FW does not have the structure to run the NFZ info
2 -- The downgraded GO4 app was never written with the NFZ
3 -- if you block all updates to the Go4 app with a noRoot firewall you will fly as B4 all the NFZ crap started

Skye , Yes maybe in China only but here in the US this is what is being done to prevent what you are dealing with now
PS I didn't realize you were in China sorry for my misunderstanding

Syke , I'm not looking to argue with you and yes it is true what you say if you did upgrade to the latest FW and App
However if you downgrade and use a firewall to block any updates to the app you'll be good to go -- DJI can not update your FW without your acceptance otherwise it will be a forced issue that will lead to legal issues for sure
People that are downgrading there FW are also downgrading there GO4 app too to where the NFZ issues are not an issue
For the following simple reasons :
1 -- The downgraded FW does not have the structure to run the NFZ info
2 -- The downgraded GO4 app was never written with the NFZ
3 -- if you block all updates to the Go4 app with a noRoot firewall you will fly as B4 all the NFZ crap started

No, it's not an argument. It is just a sharing of experiences.

Yes however you are right. A user outside of China will not be experiencing this. I did not get this when I am in Hong Kong. But in China I do. So in theory it can be done. Whether it will be done for users outside of China is a separate topic altogether which is not the discussion we are having in this thread.

Why I am so sure? It is because I did see the NFZ expand to a much bigger area overnight on the last app version.

There are comments here that people are holding out on updates thinking the restrictions will not change. But it possible, at least on a theoretical level. That is the point of my message.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin