DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you want to have "fun"...take a look what is coming...

Whoever it was that did that stupid move with the airliner at that airport over there is mostly to blame for what is happening within the drone community Internationally --- what was this person thinking ??? Now we all will pay one way or the other
Yes.

However, the answer to this is not complaining and resisting means to prevent it, which is what most here seem to do.

You see, there are always going to be idiots like this. We can't wish them away. If we don't support and help DJI and others in implementing sophisticated technology to thwart the idiots flying where they shouldn't be, we'll wind up with far more onerous solutions like, no consumer sUAVs at all.

The answer to this is exactly what DJI is doing: Selective, fine-grained restriction in places where we all agree no one should be flying.

I'd rather my aircraft be electronically be prevented from flying in very specific places, with the frustration of having to deal with mistakes, errors, etc. in the database, than not have it at all. Errors can be fixed.

So far, I haven't been negatively affected. The nearest NFZ to me is the Watsonville Airport, and the red zone where I couldn't fly at all is absolutely proper and reasonable, the yellow self-unlocking also is quite reasonable. Since I don't fly in that area anyway, it hasn't been an issue.

I know others are having problems, unlocking not working, being in an NFZ when they weren't before, abandoned airstrips showing as NFZs, and on and on. If it were happening to me, I'd be upset.

Still, these are properly framed as growing pains with this new technology. In my opinion, what DJI is doing is very beneficial for us, not damaging; it's keeping us flying. The alternative is far more draconian, and as public noise complaining about drones increases, I feel DJI aircraft will be well positioned to stay in the air.

I can certainly see regulations in the future imposing draconian rules on drones that DO NOT have the selective restriction capability DJI is engineering in to their products. Those with these capabilities will have much more freedom.

Because there isn't any realistic risk less than 20km away if at a sensible altitude?
What about an aircraft executing a go-around or missed instrument approach? What if an aircraft has an emergency they are trying to troubleshoot, or has been deviated by ATC? What about a navigational failure, or electrical failure, or fire?
A pilot is clear to break regulations to deal with emergencies. Flight patterns don't always stay the same.
Listening to so many of you it is no wonder DJI has NFZ zones. I, as an airplane pilot, am glad they do.

Reactions: MAVA4 and ZUCSTA
In other words, staying on 0.4 is going to be futile, if NFZs can be pushed to all FWs.

DJI changed the way that NFZ was managed/updated in .500 specifically because of pressure caused by drones shutting down airports in China. On firmware .400, the NFZ did not have the capability to be updated "on the fly". You can see the change with the release notes for Mavic firmware at: DJI Mavic Pro: Ongoing Release Notes Archive | Jamie Brightmore, where the .500 update states:
  • Updated No-Fly Zone management.
The .500 update was specifically done to increase the NFZ in China so that instead of a round 5KM hard NFZ, it became a 10KM oval NFZ, with 15KM NFZ extending on each end of the runway.

For those on .400 firmware, I would also suggest using an old version of DJI Go 4, such as v4.0.3 on Android, so this NFZ live update is not even an issue since the old version of the app did not even have this function programmed in.

I have no idea if downgrading more recent firmware to .400 will get rid of the NFZ issue since it seems that from .500 onward, firmware and NFZ are now separate updates...

Sorry, I don't get it.
I live in China too (already 3 years in different places) and have been flying different drones all over the country.
The website you linked below just lists common sense flight safety precautions like check battery level, keep the drone in sight, obey national regulations etc.

Btw : the link doesn't have a red polygon for me...
II live also in China. There is also a regulation since last month in China that all drone pilots with a drone heavier than 250 gr must be registered. Did you hear that? Furthermore you need to have competence certificate. Do you have it. I tried to go to AOPA training facility but unless I speak and read Chinese, I cannot take the tests. How do you fly your drone?

I heard it, yes.
And I don't have it.
I just fly without. The Mavic doesn't know I have no certificate :)

I shall endeavor to fly around as many international airports as much as possible then. :p Seriously though, those are a bit big. I mean I occasionally fly within 5 miles of an airport, and yesterday the airport I flew near was an international one. As long as I can still clear the flight after getting clearance from ATC, I'm good.

Make sure you understand that ATC clearance is not sufficient. In order to fly inside ANY controlled airspace you MUST receive "airspace authorization" from the FAA using only their online portal and waiting for up to 90 days. As someone who has gotten bit by this please head my warning. ATC CAN NOT give you verbal authorization unless you already have the written authorization from the FAA! Also remember all of this is only possible IF you have the Part 107 license and are flying for commercial purpose. If you are flying as a hobbyist you are never allowed to fly within 5mi of any airport (this includes helliports that have been classified as airport which is more and more). The goal is for the FAA to make this so complicated and convoluted that people get frustrated and just give-up the activity all together. Unfortunately with the monopoly that DJI has all but established, makes this easier as they can implant restrictions directly into their software to comply with the rules.
Anyway, keep flying safely and remember we share the skies with manned aircraft and people who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in training and equipment and we need to respect their space!

Make sure you understand that ATC clearance is not sufficient. In order to fly inside ANY controlled airspace you MUST receive "airspace authorization" from the FAA using only their online portal and waiting for up to 90 days. As someone who has gotten bit by this please head my warning. ATC CAN NOT give you verbal authorization unless you already have the written authorization from the FAA! Also remember all of this is only possible IF you have the Part 107 license and are flying for commercial purpose. If you are flying as a hobbyist you are never allowed to fly within 5mi of any airport (this includes helliports that have been classified as airport which is more and more). The goal is for the FAA to make this so complicated and convoluted that people get frustrated and just give-up the activity all together. Unfortunately with the monopoly that DJI has all but established, makes this easier as they can implant restrictions directly into their software to comply with the rules.
Anyway, keep flying safely and remember we share the skies with manned aircraft and people who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in training and equipment and we need to respect their space!
That's not what the FAA told me when I registered. All I'm required to do is notify the airport and ATC, after all, they are in charge of that airspace. Also as a hobbyist flyer these, are guidelines. I have been doing this for a while now, and I have had no issues. Not even the B4UFly app tells me I'm required to do what you tell me.

Really simple and the only reason it's not being discussed is because a vast majority of Mavic consumers are new to the game. If you find a firmware that works for you. Hold on tight. Avoid the internet when flying as eventually DJI will mandate systematic updates. They want all of our devices doing the exact same thing and those updates seriously put us risk for failure. I have literally watched 3 firmware updates brick devices. It's not worth it to stay in lock step with DJIs need to comply with global aviation. I always fly below 400 feet and 10's of miles from airports. Keep your helicopter or plane above 500 feet and there will be no issues.

Reactions: Jamison74
Why would it be any more difficult than say PSP, PS4, iOS, etc? All of those have been rooted.
Setting aside a light adjustment to the Vision App (yes, application) a few years back, No one has cracked DJI firmware and even if they did...updates now fully take instructions from the GO / GO4 app. Cannibalism of a specific version DJI firmware would be short lived.

You are so wrong...

Trust me. DJI firmware crack is old news.

GO / GO4 older versions does not take automatic instructions.

The NAZA lite firmware crack is childs play compared to the present control systems. A outside alternative firmware option for the Mavic will never happen.

DJI is going to eventually implement forced firmware updates the moment your bird makes contact with the internet.

Nancy Pelosi will force UAS regulations down Frank Wang's throat.

And the moment they will do that I will have a nice refund ;)
Plus hack on Mavic right now working nicely.

Tomorrow is another day...
We have our old birds for the rainy days to come :) No internet required.

What hack on Mavic are you talking about?

Crystalsky? No SIM card, no Wi-Fi, DJI wouldn't have the slightest clue where you are. Hence, you wouldn't need to verify your account. But you would have to download all the maps into your GO4 app before your travel.

I would really hate to fly without satellite view.
Me too. I basically won't fly. But there's a solution. I use my cell phone as a Hotspot and d/l the map, then turn it off. Works fine

Me too. I basically won't fly. But there's a solution. I use my cell phone as a Hotspot and d/l the map, then turn it off. Works fine
Why do you need satellite view to fly? I mostly fly in places that have no coverage anyway, never really missed it..

Why do you need satellite view to fly? I mostly fly in places that have no coverage anyway, never really missed it..
Me too. Today I downloaded the maps for my Province just for the hell of it. I am all caught up to date with latest App and NFZ restrictions. How much they will affect me I have no clue. What I do know is that the phone I use to fly the Mavic is a dedicated one with no cell coverage, and I am now turning off auto wi-fi connect so that when I turn on the app at home it won't automatically try to update. I just hope that I haven't gone too far with the latest updates.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman