DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ILLEGAL TO FLY DRONES IN CANADA UNLESS...

That guy in that video is EXACTLY why there needs to be testing and credentials. If you're going to be a Big Boy and fly inside of the same airspace as manned aircraft why would you NOT need to know the rules etc?

He literally just proved the Govt's point for them.

That guy in that video is EXACTLY why there needs to be testing and credentials. If you're going to be a Big Boy and fly inside of the same airspace as manned aircraft why would you NOT need to know the rules etc?

He literally just proved the Govt's point for them.
Hey I totally agree with you! I actually took the test and the guy in the video wasn't wrong when it came to how difficult the test is. It makes sense to testing someone for drone safety/drone regulations although i got questions about the cyclic of a helicopter. How does the Cyclic of a helicopter have to do with a basic drone operations test. I also received questions about time zone changes when flying over to the next time zone, What radio frequency i should be on when landing in a airport. Drone operators are not even allowed to be any where near airports. Then there is the advanced operations test which has even more ridiculous questions.

Driving and flying simultaneously, flying over freeway, flying in rain, hmm.

Driving and flying simultaneously, flying over freeway, flying in rain, hmm.
I dont think he would be dumb enough to drive and fly at the same time. There is active track or maybe he had another pilot or driver? But then again he did cut him self with his own drone ? so who knows. Also i have flown in the rain before like small drizzle rain its totally safe and legal here in Canada!

Keep in mind that these tests/certifications etc are more than "just" about Mavics and Phantoms. The term drone (also known as sUAS) encompasses multirotors, R/C fixed wing, and /C helicopters. We've got to take a step back and look at the Big Picture and get rid of our tunnel vision in order to understand some of the reasons for questions that do not pertain to how some of us actually intend to fly.

I got my base level and tryed to get the advance....what a joke !
Dont spend your time and money on the advance level: it totaly riculous ! Unless you have been training by the NASA and you have a Comercial Pilot diploma and you are a Doctor, Lawyer, Meteologist, Master Electrician and know all rules and law related and more !!!

At least the base level is not too bad once you know what to expect from the exam. I got my exam completed in 27 min on my second atempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic.air123
Do you know how many fines you can get with your video ?
You are breaking many law and provided evidence of it !
How do you know he was flying while driving? If you see footage of a car from a drone do you automatically think the driver of the vehicle is also piloting the drone? I'm just curious to see what your train of thought is.

May be a Cop will tell you ! Unless you are not the guy in the video. Good luck. Or find by your self by reading the regulations.

My coworker is a pilot and I showed him a few test questions - he even had issues with some of them

Can you state what laws are broken?
He was filming with his cell phone while driving that is $395 fine and 3 points and a 3 day suspension, and there were a couple of instances of that. Flying under the old regs he was to close to the buildings.
Those 2 were just off the top of my head after seeing the video when it was first posted.
Cheers

Reactions: scsparcrow
The comments on YouTube were about what one would expect. I hope most of the commentators don't fly drones themselves.

As to regulations broken:

• flying over a major road
• using a hand-held electronic device while driving which is a violation (OK, not a drone issue specifically, but the road to Bluffers Park is steep with no shoulders and no sidewalks so pedestrians have to use the road as well as vehicles, so filming a video is unsafe as well as illegal)
• possibly flying in a Control Zone — Bluffers Park is OK, but the houses/streets he was flying over look like those in newer developments which are in restricted airspace*

*I checked the NRC map for where I can fly, and there's a number of locations that I'd like to shoot that I can't with only a basic license because of the control zones from both Pearson and Buttonville airports, which extend farther than the 5.6 km radius. I was surprised at how far the Buttonville CZ extends. When Buttonville closes I might be able to get those shots (unless the Pearson CZ is extended).

Keep in mind that these tests/certifications etc are more than "just" about Mavics and Phantoms. The term drone (also known as sUAS) encompasses multirotors, R/C fixed wing, and /C helicopters. We've got to take a step back and look at the Big Picture and get rid of our tunnel vision in order to understand some of the reasons for questions that do not pertain to how some of us actually intend to fly.
Yes exactly this. The certification covers all AC you mentioned. They want us to acknowledge that we are joining the airspace of aircraft and that this is serious. I studied for about 2 hours and did the basic test in 45 minutes and got 88%. Yes there were some questions that I thought were way outside the scope of RC operation but I am not the one making the rules. I really dont know what all the bitching is about. To me it seems that it might keep the uninitiated from getting into drones which is a good thing.

I really dont know what all the bitching is about. To me it seems that it might keep the uninitiated from getting into drones which is a good thing.

america is a free country. FREE

because that's not the role of government; to decide what hobbys the citizens should enjoy and which ones they should "control." some of us don't like having the government so involved in our personal business. understood some amount of rules and regulations are necessary but the way you make it sound, they're calling all the shots on who can play and who cannot. imagine if cars were under government control to the extent drones already are. you wouldn't like it.

once again i'm surrounded by a bunch of fellow drone pilots who are happy to call in the government to get "the situation" under control at any cost...when has the EVER worked? :(

can the people/industry at least try to police their own first? what problem(s) exactly do we have that we need to crack'd down on?

america is a free country. FREE

because that's not the role of government; to decide what hobbys the citizens should enjoy and which ones they should "control." some of us don't like having the government so involved in our personal business. understood some amount of rules and regulations are necessary but the way you make it sound, they're calling all the shots on who can play and who cannot. imagine if cars were under government control to the extent drones already are. you wouldn't like it.

once again i'm surrounded by a bunch of fellow drone pilots who are happy to call in the government to get "the situation" under control at any cost...when has the EVER worked? :(

can the people/industry at least try to police their own first? what problem(s) exactly do we have that we need to crack'd down on?
This a thread on Canadian drone flying and certification testing

imagine if cars were under government control to the extent drones already are. you wouldn't like it.

Woa there.... So you're saying that flying your toy sUAS in the NAS is exactly the same as driving a car on the highway? NEGATIVE! Let's put that into a realistic perspective...

Let's say you want to drive your 1/4 scale R/C car/truck on the interstate just to have some fun and you put a camera on it so you could "Drive" FPV. Do you think that the DOT/Highway Patrol/LEO would have a problem with that? That's an accurate comparison not the one comparing sUAS to Driving a car.

Flying a toy drone in the NAS should be regulated not because we need more government but because without standardization and regulation the NAS is no longer a safe place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98