DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm confused on the Mavic Air's use of wifi over radio signals and why people prefer the latter?

Clare_G101

Reactions
I've Read that the air can't go as far, but is it a significant difference? Anything else I should know? I don't fly it too far away from me, so I'm wondering if this would affect me

Different people have different definition of ‘far’... whats yours?

Im flying a mavic air stock, my far abt 2km is very enough for me.. [emoji23]
Yet to try it further.

You have options to mod your bird if u want, saw some on youtube able to do 10km.

Many mods guru here. U can ask them for advices if u want .

Good luck and have fun!
Cheers .

Stock range is about 2-3x more on the Ocusync-based models, there are fewer frame skips, and they're less susceptible to performance variations due to external interference. Whether that affects you depends on what you're doing.

Stock range is about 2-3x more on the Ocusync-based models, there are fewer frame skips, and they're less susceptible to performance variations due to external interference. Whether that affects you depends on what you're doing.
Why do you think they did ad Ocusync on the air? Would it affect pricing?

WIFI is a radio transmission, just not a very strong one,
Wifi is basically radio that can send data over multiple frequencies all at the same time. ... Wifi occupies the radio frequency band of the electromagnetic spectrum between actual radio waves and microwaves

Occusync handles interference much better than wifi which appears to just use a fixed channel

For me far isn't the issue but rather the stability of the signal in an area where there is a lot of wifi interference. I fly line of sight but with my wifi drones they begin to lose signal while they are still well within sight. I've flown my Mavic Pro twice as far while still in line of sight with no loss of signal. I can see it, the video is crystal clear and the drone still response to my inputs. While the wifi drones return to home when the signal is lost (all the time so far) the assurance of a strong signal and constant control is reassuring.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
MP's occusync and air's enhanced wifi not much different in terms of radio waves, they use same band, bandwidth and modulation. Occusync is made more robust because of better algorithms of connection recovery (changing channels, retransmits, error correction).

But IMHO more range in area without interference is because MP is larger and have larger antennas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82