DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Motor overload due to extreme height conditions"? I guess it is possible if your starting altitude is high enough the thin air would cause the motors to overload in normal flying just keeping it up in the thin air.

Of course, at 2 miles out you cannot see what else may have happened so you are only left with the logs and their interpretation.

Hi, Grgguy, welcome to the forum!

Motor overload can be caused by debris in the motor(s). Dirt and other stuff can get into them from routine flying, or during a crash. Once, when a novice (not me ;)) was flying my Mavic, he crashed it into a chain-link fence. Two props had broken blades. We replaced the props, but got a motor overload message upon restart. The crash had sheared off the locking lugs on the bottom of the props. The lugs had fallen into the motors, causing the overload! Once we fished them out, everything was fine.

I hope your problem is solved by cleaning out your motors. Please keep us posted.

I've tried to shorten my story up a bit. I've also tried to clean up my many grammatical errors...

So I'm flying my mavic pro in the hills above the city I live in. These are some foothills that have a gentle but definite rise to them.. Now I am flying away and up from me. As the the hills rise I raise my drone to compensating for the rise of the hills. The hills are remote. The next city is 10-15 miles away. So I've got a great signal on my Mavic. Its doing everything they said it would and doing it well. Here is my question at 2 miles or 12,500' away from me I've had to also raise the altitude of the drone to its maximum hieght of 1650'. All the while I'm no more then 350'-400' above the actual ground. I've got 3/4 of my signal strength on my remote in both video and r/c...Am I in violation of any laws because I've allowed my drone to rise with the pitch of the hills . If I did this while flying in sport mode should I expect 3 of my motors to overload. Causing my drone to crash. Should I expect a " Motor overload due to extreme height conditions' ?.
In countries besides the U.S. where they don't have flight height restrictions.. Are mavic pilots having their drones crash when they fly at altitudes higher then 400'? With the cause being" Motor overload due to extreme height conditions " ?? Because that is exactly what I'm being told by the good folks at the DJI warranty dept. These drones of ours are capability of going much higher then the software allows of 1650'. Or are they not capable of going to such said hieghts ? I don't remember reading anywhere that flying my drone up at a hieght of 1650' above me but still only 350-400 above the ground would cause 3 motors to fail. I read my logs after retrieving my drone. The logs said it had a motor obstruction. It didn't say 3 motors failed. It was completely uncontrollable. Yet in the response i received. It stated " I still had control" even though the same response said. I had 3 motors fail ?? I am extremely confused...How could I control the drone with only 1 of 4 motors running ? I have video of its last minute or so and its completely obvious that its spinning out of control. This isn't my first drone either. I've owed and still own an assortment of drones including a phantom 3 se, a Blade chroma, a blade 200qx, an eachine falcon 210 and a hubsan h501ss just to name a few. I know how to fly my drone. I might go out on a limb here and say I know how to fly my drones a little bet better then the average guy on these forms. As a couple of my drones are not controlled by software that basically fly's the drone for you. . No my blade 200qx and eachine are racers that won't even level themselves without input from me and thier respective remotes..I only say this to eliminate the thought that Im a novice flyer. I certainly can and do make mistakes. However on the day in question I made no mistakes. I was flying my drone when it alerted me of a system error. Next i could hear the drone spinning out of control. I hit the record button as it was falling out of the sky. It recorded the last minute of its life. The recording stops at about 30' from the ground
. As I said I read the logs..The logs said it had a motor obstruction. I heard from DJI today. They said I had 3 motors fail due to "Motor overload due to extreme height conditions". I'm calling BS. I've had my Mavic at its height limit many times. Please don't start about the law. I know the law but these drone are capable of so much more then what we do with them. There is no reason that flying them up at altitude should cause the motors to fail. There were not any obstructions in the air.. I didmt fly it through a flock of birds. This drone this magnificent drone had a motor failure and DJI because of said altitude doesn't want to cover it under warranty. I'm so confused I thought this company was on the up and up. With a reputable warranty dept..Again I'm

This discussion will go nowhere useful until you post the log files (txt and/or DAT) for that flight.

To the OP. Motor overload due to extreme height conditions has nothing to do with your AGL (above ground level). It has everything to do with what altitude above sea level you were at. If you start flying on a mountain that's 20,000 ft up, you might have issues with the motors straining due to the thin air, even if you only fly 20 ft off the ground. So unless your height above sea level was way up there, that shouldn't have been the issue.
My elevation at launch was no more the 800' . 800' + 1650' = 2450" above see level. Is this too much for the Mavic pro sir. ? I would think not. 2450' feet above sea level but not be an issue. Thank you for your kind response though

Reactions: bbooty
This discussion will go nowhere useful until you post the log files (txt and/or DAT) for that flight.
I wish I could post those log files....I cant figure out where I found the the file that said it was a motor obstruction. I could post what DJI sent me I don't mind doing that.

DJI Care Balance:Quote Date:07-11-18Remarks:NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Motor Stall FLY044 1. Unit was in Sport mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=131 until 236s, relative height=500m, motor 3 stalls. 3. Unit is rolling and pitching intermittently at full speed, Conclusion: Motor overload due to extreme height conditions. Activation date: 2018-05-15 SN: 08RDDC500104QQ [Non Warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit

. I wish I could post those log files....I cant figure out where I found the the file that said it was a motor obstruction. I could post what DJI sent me I don't mind doing that.

DJI Care Balance:Quote Date:07-11-18Remarks:NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Motor Stall FLY044 1. Unit was in Sport mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=131 until 236s, relative height=500m, motor 3 stalls. 3. Unit is rolling and pitching intermittently at full speed, Conclusion: Motor overload due to extreme height conditions. Activation date: 2018-05-15 SN: 08RDDC500104QQ [Non Warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit

The log files are on your mobile device. Instructions in the links below.

TXT log files: DJI Flight Log Viewer

DAT log files: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

There were not any obstructions in the air.. I didmt fly it through a flock of birds.

How would you know? You were over 2 miles away? Not going to get on you about the law, but anytime you fly beyond VLOS you are losing a huge amount of situational awareness.

How would you know? You were over 2 miles away? Not going to get on you about the law, but anytime you fly beyond VLOS you are losing a huge amount of situational awareness.
How would I know. I'll tell you how I know. I live in soCal. Deforestation and hunting has removed all birds and flying animals from Southern California except for the occasional flying squirrel. However I was not flying above trees. Also I don't know how a squirrel could have jumped so high. There's a stupid answer for your stupid response...
I know it didn't hit a bird because there 1- was no sign of blood 2- no feathers of any sort 3- when in the past I've come across birds while flying my drones the birds tend to go the opposite way of my drone.
I don't think the birds understand what their dealing with as drones are new to them and they haven't established any behavioral patterns with them yet. As a trained birdologist I know this. Yes I said that. I am a trained birdologist . I am trained to look for bird blood and bird feather I have 18 units of birdology training from the local College and Zoo. I am what they call a bird man. This would be how I know what there is no flocks of birds cuz I am on a constant lookout for these flocks. If there was a flock of birds that day I would have been right up in there in my California condor disguise flying amongst them. As to do more birdology research and further my studies into the retardation of the 1% of forum members that are strait up ********. Who think their own **** doesn't stink. Please feel free to look at my credentials at www.go-f-yourself.com

This thread is either amusing or tedious, I’m not sure which at the moment! Hope you find the answers you’re looking for!

Reactions: adubbz
Hard to believe that in a 2 mile radius, a single bird does not exist in Southern California. Put down your birdologist book for a minute and do a simple search on YouTube of birds and drones...as a trained birdologist, you should know that many birds see a drone as a threat and will attack. As a trained birdologist, you should know that at 2 miles away, you can’t even see your drone...yet, you claim you could spot a flock of birds.

Seems to me you are the one that seems to think their **** doesn’t stink. Something caused 3 motors (Or Motor 3) on your drone to fail..this is indicative of striking something. You spoke of rolling hills with changing elevation. You very well could have flown it right into the ground of a hillside. Or, something else struck your drone...but couldn’t be a bird as they do not exist in Southern California (expert birdologist says its so)

Serious question...why did you even ask the question or ask the forum for help. You obviously have all the answers and expertise.

Last edited:
How would I know. I'll tell you how I know. I live in soCal. Deforestation and hunting has removed all birds and flying animals from Southern California except for the occasional flying squirrel. However I was not flying above trees. Also I don't know how a squirrel could have jumped so high. There's a stupid answer for your stupid response...
I know it didn't hit a bird because there 1- was no sign of blood 2- no feathers of any sort 3- when in the past I've come across birds while flying my drones the birds tend to go the opposite way of my drone.
I don't think the birds understand what their dealing with as drones are new to them and they haven't established any behavioral patterns with them yet. As a trained birdologist I know this. Yes I said that. I am a trained birdologist . I am trained to look for bird blood and bird feather I have 18 units of birdology training from the local College and Zoo. I am what they call a bird man. This would be how I know what there is no flocks of birds cuz I am on a constant lookout for these flocks. If there was a flock of birds that day I would have been right up in there in my California condor disguise flying amongst them. As to do more birdology research and further my studies into the retardation of the 1% of forum members that are strait up ********. Who think their own **** doesn't stink. Please feel free to look at my credentials at www.go-f-yourself.com
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

your altitudes did not cause the errors u received, with out the logs its hard to know what errors u got though, the mav can fly high,,,,very high with no issues, i wont tell u where i have had mine but its much higehr than u and no problems, altitude didnt cause your errors, i dont thnk dji understood what u were telling them maybe, is your mav ok, does she still fly ok

your altitudes did not cause the errors u received, with out the logs its hard to know what errors u got though, the mav can fly high,,,,very high with no issues, i wont tell u where i have had mine but its much higehr than u and no problems, altitude didnt cause your errors, i dont thnk dji understood what u were telling them maybe, is your mav ok, does she still fly ok
No my mavic had one arm break off complelty...Another arm the motor broke off. However when I put in a fresh battery everything fired up. Check it out I too have flown my drone at altitude many a time. The pictures I take with my drone require me to fly it at altitude. I know that altitude has absolutley nothing to do with why I had a motor failure. I love my Mavic. .it just had a moment and that moment has cost me some flying time. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000