DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iMac

Unless they don't release for some time don't expect Kaby Lake... they are still some time off on making the availability enough to implement them... thats why the new MBP doesn't have them even though they are available.
So I've read... wish I knew someone at Intel I could kick in the butt!! :mad:

I was strictly a PC guy for many years, building them like many of us. I got so sick and tired of the constant security updates and driver issues that I switched to a MAC, and am so glad I did. I just do not have ANY computer related issues after that. My Mid 2011 27" hummed along just great until the HD died, there was a recall so Apple put a larger (250GB > 305GB) for free. What I love about the MAC is the one button restore, plug it in, turn it on, select restore from Timemachine, click go, and go have some coffee. Although I do keep a SuperDuper bootable drive in the safe, Timemachine is just too easy. So now I have a new 5K with all the bells and whistles, sold my 2011 MAC for almost $800 on eBay, shipped it in the same box my new one came in, with a few mod's.
You know, kudos for actually remembering to mention Time Machine... It's so cool and automatic, and EASY to use when you restore, or start using a new machine. It just works and you have no tinkering to do. Good Job. I consider it one of the best things about the Mac, but out of sight, out of mind until you use it or need it.. it's also excellent recovering single files or apps you modified or deleted, but didn't need to--don't always need to do a total restore :D

You know, kudos for actually remembering to mention Time Machine... It's so cool and automatic, and EASY to use when you restore, or start using a new machine. It just works and you have no tinkering to do. Good Job. I consider it one of the best things about the Mac, but out of sight, out of mind until you use it or need it.. it's also excellent recovering single files or apps you modified or deleted, but didn't need to--don't always need to do a total restore :D
Yep, I accidentally deleted a folder (I know) I later needed, just opened TM, selected the containing folder, scroll back thru dates until the folder poped up, clicked restore and BAM! its back.

Yep, I accidentally deleted a folder (I know) I later needed, just opened TM, selected the containing folder, scroll back thru dates until the folder poped up, clicked restore and BAM! its back.

You know, after you mentioned Time Machine, I thought of another couple (turned out to be a few) of things that I think are awesome in macOS, beside all the obvious stuff.

1 - I really like handoff... I can be looking at something on safari on my iPad or iPhone, or on the iMac and pick it straight up on any other device--I used to e-mail links. I also use handoff on the Mac to answer phone calls, everyone says it sounds great.

2 - Siri on the Mac was somewhat odd to get used to, but I use it a ton, especially for google searches and opening files or apps. Or just to get the weather. You have to use Siri a LOT before it gets really good. I've been using it for years and it gets some of the weirdest words I use correct because over time, she/it learns them.

3. - Touch bar fingerprint ID is spectacular. I have nerve damage from a shoulder injury that makes my right (dominant) hand shake a bit, so the less I have to type the better. Siri on the Mac helps that a lot, too.

4 - Last, but not least, I have tens of thousand of songs, most were copied off of CDs, for the past six years or so, they all came from iTunes. I also haven't bought a blue ray or any movie OTHER than through iTunes and actually (it's ok to do this) share my library with a good friend. I've got over 500 movies and he has about 400. I can download a bunch before go on a trip and watch them on the Macbook or iPad Pro, I've even got a previous generation Apple TV I take along when I'm going to be staying somewhere for a week or so. The best part of all of this, you can stream your content from virtually anywhere since it's all in iCloud or the Apple cloud.

5 - And I know we've mentioned it, reliability. I am 100% positive that there are many times that I don't turn off, or reboot my iMac or Macbook for a month or more. Close the lid on the Macbook and let the iMac just go to sleep--come back and be right where you were. Not to mention it even runs time machine and collects mail in sleep mode.

6 - NO BLOATWARE!!

7 - Spaces--if you don't have Mac, you just don't understand. They're especially cool on multiple monitors.

8 - I know there are other things too I'm just not thinking about.

Take that Windows!!

2688943823_b95b169bca.jpg

You know, after you mentioned Time Machine, I thought of another couple (turned out to be a few) of things that I think are awesome in macOS, beside all the obvious stuff.

1 - I really like handoff... I can be looking at something on safari on my iPad or iPhone, or on the iMac and pick it straight up on any other device--I used to e-mail links. I also use handoff on the Mac to answer phone calls, everyone says it sounds great.

2 - Siri on the Mac was somewhat odd to get used to, but I use it a ton, especially for google searches and opening files or apps. Or just to get the weather. You have to use Siri a LOT before it gets really good. I've been using it for years and it gets some of the weirdest words I use correct because over time, she/it learns them.

3. - Touch bar fingerprint ID is spectacular. I have nerve damage from a shoulder injury that makes my right (dominant) hand shake a bit, so the less I have to type the better. Siri on the Mac helps that a lot, too.

4 - Last, but not least, I have tens of thousand of songs, most were copied off of CDs, for the past six years or so, they all came from iTunes. I also haven't bought a blue ray or any movie OTHER than through iTunes and actually (it's ok to do this) share my library with a good friend. I've got over 500 movies and he has about 400. I can download a bunch before go on a trip and watch them on the Macbook or iPad Pro, I've even got a previous generation Apple TV I take along when I'm going to be staying somewhere for a week or so. The best part of all of this, you can stream your content from virtually anywhere since it's all in iCloud or the Apple cloud.

5 - And I know we've mentioned it, reliability. I am 100% positive that there are many times that I don't turn off, or reboot my iMac or Macbook for a month or more. Close the lid on the Macbook and let the iMac just go to sleep--come back and be right where you were. Not to mention it even runs time machine and collects mail in sleep mode.

6 - NO BLOATWARE!!

7 - Spaces--if you don't have Mac, you just don't understand. They're especially cool on multiple monitors.

8 - I know there are other things too I'm just not thinking about.

Take that Windows!!

View attachment 4256
OK, I had to steal that Graphic, it's classic PC/MAC wars. I don't use Siri much except on my phone or tablet. Spaces I use a LOT as I have an extra monitor I keep a web design app running on. Handoff is great because when my wife is looking at something on her iMAC or the iPAD and asks me a question I don't have to leave my man cave, just click on the handoff icon on the task bar and the page or email she is looking at pops up on my screen. This one feature has saved me countless running back and forth. I love being able to control my music on the main stereo from my computer or tablet, had a party the other night and all the guests were able to select music from their phones to quay up for playing. My buddy got a new PC and I was AMAZED at the amount of space wasted with bloatware and Ad's, that would PMO, none on a MAC thank you. I have power management set to reboot my MAC once a week in the middle of the night, it's on the rest of the time.

So my 8 year old windows PC is nearing its end of life and I am going to replace it with a 27" iMac 5K. I will see if I can tough it out for a couple of months as consensus seems to be new model iMacs will be coming in March/April. Use of the IMac will be 70% productivity (and will likely be using Parallels/Win 10 for MS Office and Quicken), 20% video editing (now that I have my Mavic, probably Final Cut), 10% gaming (mostly strategy games, I'm too old/slow for FPS).

As I look at the various options I am unsure of which upgrade options will generate the most "bang for the buck". I am pretty sure I will get a 512/1TB SSD and will upgrade with aftermarket memory to 24GB. Beyond that, how much benefit will I see from getting a faster CPU or more expensive graphics card?

You definitely want the i7. The improved graphics card helps if you do any gaming or GPU calculations, but otherwise shouldn't pose much difference for most applications. Internal storage should be fusion but you can easily add more external storage for archiving video projects.

You definitely want the i7. The improved graphics card helps if you do any gaming or GPU calculations, but otherwise shouldn't pose much difference for most applications. Internal storage should be fusion but you can easily add more external storage for archiving video projects.

I would agree with all but the Fusion drive and I think the 4GB video card makes a pretty big difference too. The Fusion drive doesn't offer anything even close to the performance of the PCI Solid State drive. Agree they are far less money, and better than a standard HD, but you get what you pay for. When you're loading huge video streams or photos, the difference between fusion and ssd is (as Trump says):

donald-trump-yuge_new.jpg

Buy the fastest and largest built-in SSD storage you can afford and the smallest amount of RAM available on that model. Then upgrade the RAM in the aftermarket (Crucial.com makes it easy but there are cheaper sources if you know the part numbers you need). Apple RAM has an outrageous premium.
Can you give me a little guidance as to how to identify and source the best memory type for my [macbook pro] model, if Crucial is a little expensive?

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

a little guidance as to how to identify and source the best memory type for my [macbook pro] model

Each model requires something different, and sometimes there are maddeningly tiny differences in the nomenclature that turn out to be quite important.

For my "Late 2015 iMac" a little research gave this:
PC3-14900
Unbuffered
Nonparity
204-pin
1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM​

Being off by 1 MHz is okay, due to rounding numbers (really 1866.6666MHz), but every other number is critical to match exactly. If you think Crucial's price is too high, you can still look at their website for the full spec of the memory they provide, and then shop for competitors.

Can you give me a little guidance as to how to identify and source the best memory type for my [macbook pro] model, if Crucial is a little expensive?

First look up your serial number here EVERYMAC.COM (hint, copy and paste the serial number from step 2 below) to see the amount of memory and number of slots your Mac can hold, that should also tell you the type of memory. If it doesn't, do the following. You MAY have to buy all new if they have smaller memory in the slots, like two slots with 2GB of RAM each, if you want to have the max you can have. That page should also tell you the max for your system.

Other option:

1. Click on the Apple Logo in the upper left
2. Click on "About This Mac"
3. Click on the "Memory" tab
4. Note the kind of memory, like "1600 MHz DDR3 memory module"
5. Use "the google" to search for that exact memory module
6. Click on shopping. It should give you a bunch of options. Stick with one of the better known names though.

The other option is to make note of your Macbook Pro model and year, go to Fry's if you have one nearby and let them find hte cheapest option, if it has any issues, you can return it within a number of days,

First look up your serial number here EVERYMAC.COM (hint, copy and paste the serial number from step 2 below) to see the amount of memory and number of slots your Mac can hold, that should also tell you the type of memory. If it doesn't, do the following. You MAY have to buy all new if they have smaller memory in the slots, like two slots with 2GB of RAM each, if you want to have the max you can have. That page should also tell you the max for your system.

Other option:

1. Click on the Apple Logo in the upper left
2. Click on "About This Mac"
3. Click on the "Memory" tab
4. Note the kind of memory, like "1600 MHz DDR3 memory module"
5. Use "the google" to search for that exact memory module
6. Click on shopping. It should give you a bunch of options. Stick with one of the better known names though.

The other option is to make note of your Macbook Pro model and year, go to Fry's if you have one nearby and let them find hte cheapest option, if it has any issues, you can return it within a number of days,
Thank you ever so much :)

I'm in the UK, so no 'Frys'.

A new Mac Book Pro with a flash HDD and Final Cut Pro. You can make a professional video in minutes. It's easy too. Don't bother with iMovie.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Similar to other advice, but mine is this:

Use Crucial.com's tool that asks you about the model and specs of your iMac, and find the part they sell.

Then copy down the specs.

Then use those specs (speed, etc.) to find the generic non-Mac equivalent on Crucial. It may be cheaper. THen look it up on Newegg.com, Amazon, or elsewhere, and buy from the vendor you trust that has the lowest prices.

Is there an image editing software for litchi panorama editing? Will Microsoft ICE work on a mac? Or do you guys recommend a different program?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54