DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image Stabilisation.

@TheSnowyPilot

I just noticed you are from the UK. I should have looked before, but didn’t so the statement I made earlier about the weight class of the aircraft makes a difference. For your purposes the Air 2S is a much better platform for flying and photography, but make sure you address the regulations regarding the weight classes and your responsibilities for flying in each of those classes.

There are many members from the UK that can help you in that regard. I am from the USA and I concern myself with our rules and leave what others must do in their country to those flying there. While most things are just common sense and common courtesy, there are specifics for each country that are best left for those concerned to deal with.

I would suggest shooting Raw only, and post processing the raw to get jpeg s if you need them.

In nearly all cases, a gimbal will out perform optical stabilization in typical camera sensor or lens optical stabilization systems. For example, in ultra high speed photography, a sensor based system might be better for faster response times; but this doesn't apply to drones.

In some cameras, they detect motion in the video and adjust the video and call it 'optical stabilization', but it is better called "electronic stabilization" (The HS 720E is of this type); in some cases the sensor can move to adjust for some hand jiggling; in some cases there is an element inside the camera lens that can move to adjust for jiggling (common in SLR lenses); all of these methods have limitations in range of motion and they can only correct for a few degrees of motion. They also only have two degrees of freedom: X and Y (up or down, side to side). Internal lens element stabilization is generally the best of these types of optical stabilization.

A gimbal does the same task by moving the entire lens, but the range of motion for a gimbal is huge by comparison. Rather than a degree or two, the gimbal can swing 90 to 180 degrees (depending on axis). And a gimbal adds that third axis: it can rotate the lens to keep the horizon horizontal.

The down side of a gimbal is speed. Moving a large lens fast enough to keep up with jiggling can be difficult and challenging. So sometimes the slew of the gimbal can't keep up with the motion it is tracking. That said, drones usually have a filming mode to help avoid this limitation by keeping an operator from exceeding the gimbal limits.

Kilrah is correct.
DJI drones don't use any kind of image stabilisation, of the kind used in some handheld cameras or lonses..
But DJI gimbals provide effective stabilising of the cameras.
Olympus and I believe Panasonic have dual stabilization(body+lens) on some lenses that work together to provide 7.5 stops over the 1/focal length formula.A Mavic 3 with gimbal and optical/sensor stabilization would be great.It is possible-yes?

Stabilization is already as good as it can get for the intended purpose, what more would you want?
Camera stab is one of the things that for several generations of DJI stuff there hasn't even been a need to wonder about.

I would suggest shooting Raw only, and post processing the raw to get jpeg s if you need them.
I like the JPEG + RAW way that DJI does things. I can quickly sort through the JPEGs and throw out both the JPEGs and the RAW files that aren't worth keeping..... then I can process the RAW files of the photos that I deem worthy.

If I use just the RAW files then I have to partially process them first in order to see whether they are worth keeping.

Thank you everybody. This only proved to solidify my belief that I do want the Air 2S even if I have to save for the next however many months more.

Comparing the Olympus OIS to the drone gimbal is like - well - silly. Strap the Olympus onto a drone and go shoot some 4k video compared to the onboard gimbal. You'll be seasick before you are a minute into the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk