DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image Transmission Issues - Almost Can't Fly This Thing Anymore

looopson

Reactions
Hey Guys:

I've been having MAJOR issues with my Mavic Pro. I purchased it in April 2017 and the problem started very shortly after my DJI Refresh One Year Protection expired (of course!).

There is a huge lag in image transmission to my phone when I am flying my drone. It also frequently loses signal and the upper left corner of the screen goes red and says "No Signal". This afternoon, I flew it in a park that I used frequently for my drone last Summer and I had to manually land it... it's almost not flyable at this point. The screen is constantly choppy and I can usually only see the top portion on my phone while the bottom portion is all blurry... it goes in and out with a full screen, clear picture....

I set the drone next to my foot with it still on and lifted my foot up and down. I noticed on the screen the 1 second or so delay on the phone screen showing my foot up and down off the ground. It even went to "No Signal" while on the ground right next to me...

Again, this issue only started fairly recently... within the last few months.

I am flying it with:

- Samsung Galaxy S7 (phone is exactly two years old, Sprint service provider)

- DJI Pro Go 4 4.2.21 (603 Google-Play) - latest version I believe...

- Firmware of RC and Aircraft: 01.03.0400 (very OLD version but everyone complains about the new firmware upgrades so I've been afraid to... this is from early 2017 I believe)

- Platform on phone: Android Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.0 (this is fairly new OS version)

I always fly my drone with my phone on Airplane mode with all apps closed.

On the remote control, I use the USB that is always plugged in on the upper left corner. I plug the other end in to my phone and center it.

I would appreciate any steps that could be recommended next to try and diagnose this. I'd love to send it in to DJI but again, my Refresh Care has expired and I'm not sure they would replace it.

Should I try upgrading firmware? New device? New little USB cable from RC to phone?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:
Hey Guys:

I've been having MAJOR issues with my Mavic Pro. I purchased it in April 2017 and the problem started very shortly after my DJI Refresh One Year Protection expired (of course!).

There is a huge lag in image transmission to my phone when I am flying my drone. It also frequently loses signal and the upper left corner of the screen goes red and says "No Signal". This afternoon, I flew it in a park that I used frequently for my drone last Summer and I had to manually land it... it's almost not flyable at this point. The screen is constantly choppy and I can usually only see the top portion on my phone while the bottom portion is all blurry... it goes in and out with a full screen, clear picture....

I set the drone next to my foot with it still on and lifted my foot up and down. I noticed on the screen the 1 second or so delay on the phone screen showing my foot up and down off the ground. It even went to "No Signal" while on the ground right next to me...

Again, this issue only started fairly recently... within the last few months.

I am flying it with:

- Samsung Galaxy S7 (phone is exactly two years old, Sprint service provider)

- DJI Pro Go 4 4.2.21 (603 Google-Play) - latest version I believe...

- Firmware of RC and Aircraft: 01.03.0400 (very OLD version but everyone complains about the new firmware upgrades so I've been afraid to... this is from early 2017 I believe)

- Platform on phone: Android Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.0 (this is fairly new OS version)

I always fly my drone with my phone on Airplane mode with all apps closed.

On the remote control, I use the USB that is always plugged in on the upper left corner. I plug the other end in to my phone and center it.

I would appreciate any steps that could be recommended next to try and diagnose this. I'd love to send it in to DJI but again, my Refresh Care has expired and I'm not sure they would replace it.

Should I try upgrading firmware? New device? New little USB cable from RC to phone?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
I had this issue too recently. Could it be due to the recent Dji Go app update?
Have you tried using Litchi instead?
Mine works on Litchi, but goes blurry on Dji Go.

I had this issue too recently. Could it be due to the recent Dji Go app update?
Have you tried using Litchi instead?
Mine works on Litchi, but goes blurry on Dji Go.

That's another option that I didn't think of. I'm wondering whether it's software related to my phone and not even an issue with the drone or RC.

Reactions: ckoijun
Unsure if anyone else has the same issue on the pro. Strangely, the Dji go app image transmission on the mavic air is good.

problem if for sure related to last upgrade. you can roll back to first firmware by assistante 2 and re install DJ go on phone (there is a way to find the older version but i m not sure... i have also to do it)

I'm also on that old FW 400 from March 2017 both RC/AC and I have no issue @ all.
I purposely did not do any update on my MP due to the fact that i'ts "to me", it's perfect out of the box and I have no
need or use w/ those extra trick flying.
I always used the bottom USB port to connect my devices (iPad Mini4/iPhone 6s+/Samsung J7 w/ AOS 6.2).

Reactions: Clinton1
I'm also on that old FW 400 from March 2017 both RC/AC and I have no issue @ all.
I purposely did not do any update on my MP due to the fact that i'ts "to me", it's perfect out of the box and I have no
need or use w/ those extra trick flying.
I always used the bottom USB port to connect my devices (iPad Mini4/iPhone 6s+/Samsung J7 w/ AOS 6.2).

but have you done a Dji go 4 app upgrade? or your problem just arrive without any software change no where?

Why are people blaming DJi updates when he states it hasn't been updated in more than a year.

Assuming it definitely hasn't sneakily updated the app anyway, suspicion falls on the USB cable and the phone generally struggling due to other apps running in the background.
So try a quality data cable in bottom USB port.
With my S6 I like to restart while setting up which make it much less likely to get sluggish during a flight.

You could also re-install the app assuming you have the .apk
At last resort take the plunge and update everything - not much to lose if it has become near unusable.

If you are using Android 9 pie or any varient, that is your problem. The DJI GO 4 apk does not work with Android 9. There was a warning issued by DJI and Litchi... somewhere on one of these message boards.
I can't even open DJI GO, DJI GO4 or Litchi on my Pixel 2 XL. It instantly closes.

Try to fly with litchi app...dji go is a crap and need way to much ressources than any phone or tablet can give...
I had dame issues, changed for a iPad ,but still the same issue , so i changed for litchi app. Since, not even a single freeze or lag....

Reactions: ckoijun
Try to fly with litchi app...dji go is a crap and need way to much ressources than any phone or tablet can give...
I had dame issues, changed for a iPad ,but still the same issue , so i changed for litchi app. Since, not even a single freeze or lag....
This is not true. I use an iPad mini 4 and Android (Pixel 2 XL) and have had zero issues. Until the Android update. My iPad mini 4 works flawlessly all the time every time. I use GO4 99% of the time with my phantom and Mavic Pro.
Maybe you are using older devices that are not up to speed.
Try using a newer device.

but have you done a Dji go 4 app upgrade? or your problem just arrive without any software change no where?

I'm using the latest GO 4 app on my apple devices and GO 4 app ver if I'm not mistaken it's ver 4.1.19 on my Sam J7 phone.

The OP has never updated firmware, and he has basically changed nothing on the Mavic.
Same phone that he has always used, new problem......

1> if you have the latest version of the DJI Go 4 app, go back to the old version and shut off auto updating on your phone. The latest software is for the latest firmware.

2> clean up the phone, get rid of apps you dont use, and free up resources on it. Hard reset it before your next flight to see if that helps.

Common sense says if you havent changed anything on the Mavic, it must be your phone or phone connection,or its inability to run the latest DJI Go4.

Words to live by:
If you update ANYTHING, update EVERYTHING!
OR
If you dont update the firmware, dont update the App, and dont update the phone / tablet ios.

Why are people blaming DJi updates when he states it hasn't been updated in more than a year.

Assuming it definitely hasn't sneakily updated the app anyway, suspicion falls on the USB cable and the phone generally struggling due to other apps running in the background.
With my S6 I like to restart while setting up which make it much less likely to get sluggish during a flight.

At last resort take the plunge and update everything - not much to lose if it has become near unusable.

What is the difference between flying it using the USB cable port on the upper left side of the RC, versus the USB cable port on the bottom of the RC? Is there a reason they provide both options?

The bottom port allows the use of a high quality cable. Make sure it is a data cable and not just a charge cable. Remove the unused plug from the side of the RC or the bottom wont work right.

Reactions: charliesRig
be

because it is what happened to me and a lot of other persons... after last update ....problem start ... (cable is ok and also tested with other phone / usb port on the bottom of remote)... is not to push against DJI but ... it is happening a lot...

in my case no difference the location , i tested during vacation in very far place one from the other... and again all time problem with video stream. (and again never before last update) just today (thanks to the forum) i realized that RC and AC can have different fw version (depending on the way used to up grade or roll back... ) if only drone connected on PC means only drone will be done and remote will depend on last update done via mobile app ... in my case now i did down grade only to drone and situation is better but not solved. at first occasion (now drone is not with me) i will check FW on RC and for sure i will roll back also it if necessary. i will keep update the forum...

ps i never use custom mode to select channel ( but again if was fine for one year... way to touch? )

Hey Guys:
This is exactly the problem I was having with my Invidia K1 Shield. Especially the part about almost not flyable. I could see that it was being bogged down and attempted to remove the extra apps that were running. But, in the end just did a factory reset and re-installed the Go App. Like night and day.

After about 4 months I noticed it started with the same behavior and did the factory reset/reload again. I noticed afterwards that various apps that I didn't want were automatically being downloaded, installed and run. Finally figured out how to turn that off and did the factory reset/reload again. It's been about a year now without any of those problems.

I'm not an Android guy.

Another thing I noticed is the selection of USB cable between the bottom RC port and the K1 Shield makes a lot of difference. It's apparent that some just don't work at all. In addition to the problems mentioned in the previous posts some cables radiate RF and interfere with the AC to RC downlink. I was using a right angle USB connector that cut the range to 100 feet or less. The USB cable that I'm using is 3 feet and is rolled up in a 3 inch coil. Keeps it tidy but also may cut down on common mode currents that could cause interference problems. Haven't tested this - just supposing.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000