DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image Transmission Issues - Almost Can't Fly This Thing Anymore

Was flying my cheap Chinese Cubot X17 since day one (2 years ago) without any issues. Ran like a top. Phone was exclusively used for MP. No other apps and no cellular service on it.

About two weeks ago, in what was clearly a lapse in judgement, I inadvertently updated the app. Firmware remained unchanged. Symptoms as op described abounded.

I posted here about it and was given a link to a page with a number of things to try. None of them, including wiping the phone, worked.

Rolling back to an older version of the DJI app didn't work, as despite having auto updates disabled, it would revert to the most current on the first run of the downgraded app.

Ultimately, I relented and installed the latest app on my daily driver, my Moto g5 plus. And 100% of my problems vanished. It was not the cable, or the port. It wasn't a FW vs. app issue. It was some kind of new incompatibility between the latest app and my Cubot phone.

Hey Guys:

I've been having MAJOR issues with my Mavic Pro. I purchased it in April 2017 and the problem started very shortly after my DJI Refresh One Year Protection expired (of course!).

There is a huge lag in image transmission to my phone when I am flying my drone. It also frequently loses signal and the upper left corner of the screen goes red and says "No Signal". This afternoon, I flew it in a park that I used frequently for my drone last Summer and I had to manually land it... it's almost not flyable at this point. The screen is constantly choppy and I can usually only see the top portion on my phone while the bottom portion is all blurry... it goes in and out with a full screen, clear picture....

I set the drone next to my foot with it still on and lifted my foot up and down. I noticed on the screen the 1 second or so delay on the phone screen showing my foot up and down off the ground. It even went to "No Signal" while on the ground right next to me...

Again, this issue only started fairly recently... within the last few months.

I am flying it with:

- Samsung Galaxy S7 (phone is exactly two years old, Sprint service provider)

- DJI Pro Go 4 4.2.21 (603 Google-Play) - latest version I believe...

- Firmware of RC and Aircraft: 01.03.0400 (very OLD version but everyone complains about the new firmware upgrades so I've been afraid to... this is from early 2017 I believe)

- Platform on phone: Android Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.0 (this is fairly new OS version)

I always fly my drone with my phone on Airplane mode with all apps closed.

On the remote control, I use the USB that is always plugged in on the upper left corner. I plug the other end in to my phone and center it.

I would appreciate any steps that could be recommended next to try and diagnose this. I'd love to send it in to DJI but again, my Refresh Care has expired and I'm not sure they would replace it.

Should I try upgrading firmware? New device? New little USB cable from RC to phone?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I have went through a few of the replies but not all, here’s my take on the situation.

Back in the beginning of June a couple of months ago I had the same situation come up after the latest Samsung update. I was getting image distortion, lag and signal loss. I tried different cables, deleting the app, checking the settings and countless amounts of phone calls. As my upcoming 3 week vacation was coming up I was not happy. The only thing I hadn’t tried was using my wife’s IPhone. I downloaded the app on her phone and it worked perfectly. Went back to the Samsung and had the problems still. At this point I’m really annoyed. I then got in my truck and went to Verizon and bought a new IPhone. I haven’t had a problem since. DJI is designed around Apple devices. Find a friend with one and give it a try.

GOOD LUCK

I also have a galaxy sure and have had the same issue with video and occasional connection problems. I went through app mirror and rolled dji app back to 4.1.18. Working flawlessly now! I am also still using the original controller to phone cable that connects to the side port on the controller.

I also have a galaxy sure and have had the same issue with video and occasional connection problems. I went through app mirror and rolled dji app back to 4.1.18. Working flawlessly now! I am also still using the original controller to phone cable that connects to the side port on the controller.
That should have said galaxy s7

I don't agree with the updating the phone. Shouldn't have to continually buy new gear. I plan to get something that works and stay with that. Just my way of doing it. Your way works for you & mine is now (hopefully working for me. To each their own, ay.

He said his phone is 2 years old. I assume he is qualified for an upgrade anyway. Most service providers offer a deal at that point in the contract. And I have heard NO complaints from any S9 users.

Last edited:
" Samsung Galaxy S7 (phone is exactly two years old, Sprint service provider)"

I have Sprint also. They have a lease program which will get you an S9 upgrade for $9/ month or a S9 Plus for $14 /month. Seems like it's worth it.

I have a similar issue with my Mavic Air, although not as bad it does fly but often when still in sight I have image transmission issues and no signal frequently it’s getting really annoying, also using without the RC is unbearable!

I bought the air as I heard good reviews but to be honest it’s starting to pee me off, don’t get me wrong when it works the images I capture are amazing but video and transmission errors are the Bain of my life at the moment - starting to wonder if it’s a setting issue I haven’t come across yet.
Hahaha. Well I haven't been flying much on the GO app lately since flying on Litchi has been so stable. I'll give it a try with the air and will let you know!

I was wondering if it was due to the 4k settings too! Changed it to the lowest setting and it still lags. So, I think it shouldn't be a problem with the settings.

I did have a little signal dropout on the mavic air when flying on the opposite side of a 18 storey building as conpared to the mavic pro which flew ok.

If I run the later (post 4.1.9) versions of Go4 on my Huawei T3 tab, I'll have the same symptoms as the OP. Staying with the 4.1.9 version on the T3 makes it run flawlessly.
However, my (inexpensive) Huawei Y6 phone handles the later Go4 versions just fine, as it has the required processing power for the more feature intensive, later versions of the Go4.

I am flying it with:

I would definitely try a different device first, then change out each part to see if you can isolate the issue.

The OP has never updated firmware, and he has basically changed nothing on the Mavic.
Same phone that he has always used, new problem......

1> if you have the latest version of the DJI Go 4 app, go back to the old version and shut off auto updating on your phone. The latest software is for the latest firmware.

2> clean up the phone, get rid of apps you dont use, and free up resources on it. Hard reset it before your next flight to see if that helps.

Common sense says if you havent changed anything on the Mavic, it must be your phone or phone connection,or its inability to run the latest DJI Go4.

Words to live by:
If you update ANYTHING, update EVERYTHING!
OR
If you dont update the firmware, dont update the App, and dont update the phone / tablet ios.
Or, their may be a fault with the mavic.....

I have had the same problems. It started after a DJI app update in May or Early June 2018 and I also have the Samsung galaxy s7. Across the web I've seen similar reports with drones using the S7. Most droners who changed to a different phone or tablet were able to fly again without problems.
I can't afford a new phone so I reverted back to an earlier version of the DJI app and my issues resolved. But I forgot to turn off auto updates and the problem came back as soon as the DJI update loaded again.
So, once again, I've reverted back to an earlier version of the app. This very expensive toy needs to be out flying instead of sitting indoors.
Happy Flying!
Ms. Dronington

The issue is DJI GO4 recent update. I guess it’s in preparation for their new Mavic series. I downgraded DJI GO4 after having the same problems on Android. Everything works as it should. You’ll have to ‘side load’ an earlier version on your Android. I’m keeping my device offline as much as possible and will keep installing the old GO4 if forced to upgrade.

Hey Guys:

I've been having MAJOR issues with my Mavic Pro. I purchased it in April 2017 and the problem started very shortly after my DJI Refresh One Year Protection expired (of course!).

There is a huge lag in image transmission to my phone when I am flying my drone. It also frequently loses signal and the upper left corner of the screen goes red and says "No Signal". This afternoon, I flew it in a park that I used frequently for my drone last Summer and I had to manually land it... it's almost not flyable at this point. The screen is constantly choppy and I can usually only see the top portion on my phone while the bottom portion is all blurry... it goes in and out with a full screen, clear picture....

I set the drone next to my foot with it still on and lifted my foot up and down. I noticed on the screen the 1 second or so delay on the phone screen showing my foot up and down off the ground. It even went to "No Signal" while on the ground right next to me...

Again, this issue only started fairly recently... within the last few months.

I am flying it with:

- Firmware of RC and Aircraft: 01.03.0400 (very OLD version but everyone complains about the new firmware upgrades so I've been afraid to... this is from early 2017 I believe)

- Platform on phone: Android Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.0 (this is fairly new OS version)

I always fly my drone with my phone on Airplane mode with all apps closed.

On the remote control, I use the USB that is always plugged in on the upper left corner. I plug the other end in to my phone and center it.

I would appreciate any steps that could be recommended next to try and diagnose this. I'd love to send it in to DJI but again, my Refresh Care has expired and I'm not sure they would replace it.

Should I try upgrading firmware? New device? New little USB cable from RC to phone?

I receintly contacted dji tech support reguarding similar issue (poor image range and over all range ) and was told to reinstall app and to reset aircraft to factory with dji assistant 2.

I receintly contacted dji tech support reguarding similar issue (poor image range and over all range ) and was told to reinstall app and to reset aircraft to factory with dji assistant 2.
That is their standard reply. I think that is the first thing everybody tries. Usually it doesn't help.
Uninstalling the Go App and going to an APK site and downloading older version 4.1.9 was the fix for me on my Samsung S7 phone. Make sure you disable auto updates in the play store settings.

today update:
roll back done to RC and MP , result :
with sumsung S3 no more pixel and big delay but still stopping (delay from frame to frame some time) so better but not fix...
with Xiomi reame4 ok!!!
last step to do ... rollback to DJI go 4 ... now i have 4.2 etc
i have to try to go to 4.15
i will update the post
ps cable is not doing difference, tested with central port, same result...

DONE!!! FIXED!!! it is the APP!!! now also the dear old samsung S3 is working perfect!
app version 4.15 !!!
if i have time i will try opposite way... install last firmware on MP and RC and check again... just for interest!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag