DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image turns on and off after 3 seconds, no more record button, no gimbal wheel control response, image out of focus around edges

omygus

Reactions
Problem: The recording function iss unavailable, the screen edges are totally blurry but the centre is in focus, the transmitted video image repeatedly freezes and unfreezes every 4 seconds. The camera does not respond to the controller's manual vertical gimbal flywheel function.
All other flying and navigating functions are still perfect. When holding the aircraft, the gimbal is still responsive to movement. One anomaly: the red front lights are always on solid for some reason but unit has always worked fine with them on, long before this happened.

Was unit in a crash? Nope

What have you tried so far? Updated firmware, restarted repeatedly in different locations, recalibrated the compass repeatedly, fresh battery.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Ipad gen 6

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Newest

What Go app version are you using? DJI GO 4

Any modification? (if so what). None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what). No.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No. I will get to that if my description isn't enough and will help the analysis of the problem.

Well, I dont know if I have a fix for you but solid job on outlining the issue and the specifics to help others to try and help, without having to ask all those Q's you already touched on. Thats not usual, so thanks!

This is definately strange, although, Its good that it seems to be mostly isolated to the camera functions and its output to device... I'm going to outline what I would do, but you should know that you may just have a bad gimbal and/or a faulty camera gimbal PCB (circuit board). If thats the case, those are easily attainable, fairly affordable, and replaceable, but first things first!

Q: Does recorded footage, to SD card, when viewed on separate monitor/device, show these same visual issues?

Q: Did this just suddenly happen or was is a gradual thing over a few flights?

First, Id try using Assistant 2, to downgrade firmware to previous version, then use Assistant 2 to factory reset. Do this to both the AC and the Remote Controller.

At that point, run a few test flights. If successful, re-upgrade to latest fw and test again.

No guarantees itll help, but I noticed strange issues, on my M2, with my batteries, all 3, suddenly showing up as N/A, while the M2 was still powering up just fine. I tried refreshing fw over and over but the only thing that helped was downgrading fw, then re-upgrading. I'm not sure what it does differently, but it takes longer, compared to a refresh, and it seems to be a more thorough coding alteration than just refreshing the currently run fw.
---------------------
One last thing, regarding the front LEDs you mentioned being red constantly... (I'm answering this based on my knowledge of Mavic 2, so it may be different, but I doubt it.)

In the Go4 settings, you can go into the settings, then under advanced settings (under one of the tabs, I forget which) you can select to turn off the front LEDs, and when you refresh or down/upgrade your firmware, that setting usually gets switched on by default, so thats, most likely, why the front LEDs are on now...

The front LED's are just there for you to see the bird, thats why they are optionally on/off, although the setting is somewhat buried. The rear LEDs (that blink/stay on in a combo of red, yellow, green) are "Flight Status Indicating" or named something similiar, so they are always on/DJI required, and they can tell you what your AC is thinking, without viewing the Go4 app.

Let us know if anything helps or changes!

Last edited:
@omygus delete the app and reinstall it then put a new SD card in the drone start the app and then the RC once RC and device are linked start the drone then before you do anything else format the SD card that should fix your issue hopefully

Reactions: Slade
@omygus delete the app and reinstall it then put a new SD card in the drone start the app and then the RC once RC and device are linked start the drone then before you do anything else format the SD card that should fix your issue hopefully
Thank you so much for your reply. i will try all that.

Well, I dont know if I have a fix for you but solid job on outlining the issue and the specifics to help others to try and help, without having to ask all those Q's you already touched on. Thats not usual, so thanks!

This is definately strange, although, Its good that it seems to be mostly isolated to the camera functions and its output to device... I'm going to outline what I would do, but you should know that you may just have a bad gimbal and/or a faulty camera gimbal PCB (circuit board). If thats the case, those are easily attainable, fairly affordable, and replaceable, but first things first!

Q: Does recorded footage, to SD card, when viewed on separate monitor/device, show these same visual issues?

First, Id try using Assistant 2, to downgrade firmware to previous version, then use Assistant 2 to factory reset. Do this to both the AC and the Remote Controller.

At that point, run a few test flights. If successful, re-upgrade to latest fw and test again.

No guarantees itll help, but I noticed strange issues, on my M2, with my batteries, all 3, suddenly showing up as N/A, while the M2 was still powering up just fine. I tried refreshing fw over and over but the only thing that helped was downgrading fw, then re-upgrading. I'm not sure what it does differently, but it takes longer, compared to a refresh, and it seems to be a more thorough coding alteration than just refreshing the currently run fw.
---------------------
One last thing, regarding the front LEDs you mentioned being red constantly... (I'm answering this based on my knowledge of Mavic 2, so it may be different, but I doubt it.)

In the Go4 settings, you can go into the settings, then under advanced settings (under one of the tabs, I forget which) you can select to turn off the front LEDs, and when you refresh or down/upgrade your firmware, that setting usually gets switched on by default, so thats, most likely, why the front LEDs are on now...

The front LED's are just there for you to see the bird, thats why they are optionally on/off, although the setting is somewhat buried. The rear LEDs (that blink/stay on in a combo of red, yellow, green) are "Flight Status Indicating" or named something similiar, so they are always on/DJI required, and they can tell you what your AC is thinking, without viewing the Go4 app.

Thanks for your wonderful reply, much appreciated. I did a few of your recommendations already.

The sd card is fine, tried that. It reads and records fine on a lower end gopro, and onto the computer as well.
This happened suddenly. Last I used it was up in a snowy area, so possibly the hot belly of the beast may have melted snow where I landed it, and humidity crept into the unit. Next time i used the unit, it was dysfunctional.

I noticed that the yellow light by the sd card slot is now on. A google search revealed nothing, so excuse my laziness if I bypass that road and just ask you what that means. I just don't remember seeing that led on before. Could be a clue.

you haven't accidently knocked the switch to WIFI mode by any chance have you if not try doing an AC relinking to the RC

Reactions: jzilla80
Thanks for your wonderful reply, much appreciated. I did a few of your recommendations already.

The sd card is fine, tried that. It reads and records fine on a lower end gopro, and onto the computer as well.
This happened suddenly. Last I used it was up in a snowy area, so possibly the hot belly of the beast may have melted snow where I landed it, and humidity crept into the unit. Next time i used the unit, it was dysfunctional.

I noticed that the yellow light by the sd card slot is now on. A google search revealed nothing, so excuse my laziness if I bypass that road and just ask you what that means. I just don't remember seeing that led on before. Could be a clue.

Are you able to initiate video recording on your MPP, via the Go4 app? (I know your button on RC isnt working)

If so, make a recording in your MPP, and tell us if the recorded footage shows the same irregularities as the fpv view of GO4 app is showing you.

Its a terrible coincidence that your issues started after landing your warm AC belly in snow (Im not one for coincidences). Thats probably how your issue started, by shorting something momentarily etc, but I still find it strange that ALL your issues revolve around what your MPP Gimbal/Camera/PCB unit (its all one module) handles!

Do you have any friends, etc that have the same model AC? If so, ask if u can install there Gimbal/Camera unit on your AC (Its easy, I promise. At least on Mavic 2).
That would narraow your problem down, most likely by a large margin.

Lastly, I have no idea about the Yellow LED next to SD card, but Old Man Mavics pointers are a great place to start!

Best of luck! I know drone issues are frustrating, but stick with it.

Reactions: old man mavic

---------------------

So I did all that you suggested, and in the end it worked! I'll buy you a beer, if that can happen, are you close to Vancouver? He he.
An anomaly is that what seems to tip the balance of all of the fixin's is the **** sd card. Although the card works fine in other devices, it seems like only replacing the card fixes the problem. Putting that card back in and it goes back to not working. How very, very odd.
Anyways, so now, thanks to you I also know how to use Assistant. I'd all but forgotten about that.
As a final note, when I first start the bird, I can not engage the tap focus function until I put it in video shoot mode and shoot a bit of footage.
But in the end was i ever glad to get the quad back. Like the old saying, you don't know what you got until you lose it.

Cheers.

So I did all that you suggested, and in the end it worked! I'll buy you a beer, if that can happen, are you close to Vancouver? He he.
An anomaly is that what seems to tip the balance of all of the fixin's is the **** sd card. Although the card works fine in other devices, it seems like only replacing the card fixes the problem. Putting that card back in and it goes back to not working. How very, very odd.

As a final note, when I first start the bird, I can not engage the tap focus function until I put it in video shoot mode and shoot a bit of footage.
But in the end was i ever glad to get the quad back. Like the old saying, you don't know what you got until you lose it.

On another note, what is the best way to post footage on here?

Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54