DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iMovie error code 10008 - Root cause

Eyvindj

Reactions
This problem is now resolved, cause of problem is the SD card reader. See below.

I am starting this thread in order to provide answers / isolate causes for this. I am following a '5 level deep "Why?" approach' in looking for answers. I would invite anyone experiencing this problem in feeding into this thread with their experiences. I intend updating this top part of this thread (here) as I go along. Problem is logged with DJI.

Problem / symptom:
iMovie fails when sharing (rendering) video recorded on the Mavic. iMovie returns error code 10008.​

1st level - Why:
Question:
Why does iMovie stop rendering at random places when finalizing a project?

Answer:
Source file in iMovie is corrupted. Indications are 'black' frames in the video at the point where rendering in iMovie stops. It is very likely that source file on SD is corrupted, although transferring of file from SD card and/or importing into iMovie can also be a source. Given that more people are reporting this issue points in the direction of problem with source video on the SD card.

Process:
Step by step fault finding ito iMovie problem solving on Apple communities. When importing a known-good source file IMovie does not do it. This lead to investigating the source video from the Mavic, which was found to have a 'black' frame (corrupted?) right at the spot where iMovie stops. Deleting this make the problem go away. Now, why does the Mavic corrupt the video on the SD card?​

1. (2nd level) - Why:
Question:
Why is Mavic corrupting source video on SD card?

Answer: Mavic is not corrupting file on SD card. Refer to 2. (2nd level) below.

Investigating possible causes: flying environment, change in shutter setting, change in gimbal position, SD card.

Settings:
2.7K/30fps/ISO100 manual shutter equal to EV-0.3 (approx), ND8 or 16 filters as applicable. Video, NTSC, file, MOV. Gimbal movement and EXP setting adjusted/reduced for Cinematic movements. Cinematic colour. Environment: urban.

Process:
Fly in different environmental surroundings (electrical interference?). Fly same route and vary shutter settings and gimbal movement under way. Investigate if error can be reproduced consistently. Try different SD cards / re-formatting.

First up:
Investigate write speed (class) on SD cards.
2. (2nd level) - Why:
Question:
Is iMovie importing source correctly?

Answer: Yes, but source file on computer gets corrupted by faulty SD card reader.

Investigating method of transferring video from SD card. Cable or SD card reader. Check if black frame is visible on other viewers on the source file. Investigating using different SD cards and delete/formatting procedure icw transferring source video to laptop.

Process:
Fly similar route recording onto 2 different SD cards. Transfer all files to computer to compare. Error caused by faulty SD card reader, which was corrupting files during process of transfer. All files transfer fine with alternate adapter or even by transfer directly from Mavic and all files transferred this way renders fine in iMovie.

Cause: Faulty SD card reader. Error can be reproduced reliably.​

Any contributions welcome...

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxS
SD card classes and suitability. Most video shot on UHS class 1 (appear to be borderline). Testing USH class 3 vs class 1. Tests reveal Mavic writing equally well on both classes.

IMG_0027.jpg

Last edited:
This SD card reader is the cause of corrupt source video imported into iMovie, which subsequently can not render the project. Adapter distroy video material during transfer, but video material is intact on SD card and can be imported either by means of another reader or directly between Mavic and computer.
IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ping^Spike
This SD to USB adapter is the cause of corrupt source video imported into iMovie

NO. WAY.

Seriously?!????

All this time I have been suffering because of a crap MicroSD Card Reader????

For real??!?

Well, I can't thank you enough for your time and persistence to this cause mate, you have saved me HOURS of post editing time... Literally HOURS.

I now need to bin my crappy £1 eBay microsd adaptor and buy a proper one eh.

Unbelievable.

All this time lost....

Thank you :)

Reactions: Eyvindj
I hope you come right! I would really like to know if this is the same in your end. In the meantime you can connect the Mavic through the USB cable to your computer until you get another reader. Good luck

Hmm... I'm not so sure about this being the cause now...

I copied some files from the memory card today on to my Mac and got the same error.

So I used a different card reader and copied the files again - still go the same error :(

Settings:
2.7K/30fps

Another theory worth testing...

So far, I've only ever filmed in 2.7K too. Main reason, I don't have a 4K television.

Just checking, this issue ONLY occurs when people are filming at 2.7K, right? Has anyone ever reported this issue at 4K?

Today I'm going to change up to 4K and see if the problem persists.

I'll report back in due course!

And another theory also based on my above post... if the Mavic does 4K natively, is the internal processor(s) working harder to reduce/compress the video down to 2.7K? Could this be where these random black frames are creeping in?

Pinging @Eyvindj and everyone else that has this issue!

Just checking, this issue ONLY occurs when people are filming at 2.7K, right? Has anyone ever reported this issue at 4K?

And another theory also based on my above post... if the Mavic does 4K natively, is the internal processor(s) working harder to reduce/compress the video down to 2.7K? Could this be where these random black frames are creeping in?

Ok, so as planned, today I took some footage in 4K for the first time ever. I took three short clips, approx 4mins long each.

Loaded them all in to iMovie (I also tried FCP too), cut out some crap, stitched them together to make one 9min long video, went to export/save it and it threw this bloody error within two minutes!

After swearing at my Mac like a mentalist and after spending TWO HOURS cutting out single black frames and after contemplating contacting DJI, I'd had enough, I went off in search of alternative movie maker.

After ten mins of quick review reading, I downloaded MOVAVI.

Loaded my same three clips in to it, cut out the crap, stitched them together, played with some transitions, saved the finished video.

FLAWLESS!!

Not a single error or blip or warning or anything!!!

So that's it, I'm done with iMovie and FCP.

I've also regained about two hours a day of my life back due to not having to cut out single black frames!

Pinging @Eyvindj and everyone else that has this issue!

Ok, so as planned, today I took some footage in 4K for the first time ever. I took three short clips, approx 4mins long each.

Loaded them all in to iMovie (I also tried FCP too), cut out some crap, stitched them together to make one 9min long video, went to export/save it and it threw this bloody error within two minutes!

After swearing at my Mac like a mentalist and after spending TWO HOURS cutting out single black frames and after contemplating contacting DJI, I'd had enough, I went off in search of alternative movie maker.

After ten mins of quick review reading, I downloaded MOVAVI.

Loaded my same three clips in to it, cut out the crap, stitched them together, played with some transitions, saved the finished video.

FLAWLESS!!

Not a single error or blip or warning or anything!!!

So that's it, I'm done with iMovie and FCP.

I've also regained about two hours a day of my life back due to not having to cut out single black frames!
Since my last post I moved my footage 1 notch up to 3840×2160 30p as there was only marginal reduction of capacity on the SD card as a result. No problems in iMovie then (either).

However, I have now realized the need for more editing features and since moved to DaVinci Resolve 14. Looking for LUTs now...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31