DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impossible to Launch Mavic 2 from balloon (hot air) 1700m

Ahhh Firefox didn't show the video.
I just opened this thread on Chrome instead and there it was!

Was your plan to jump and have the mavic follow you down on your jump?

Its not altitude, ive flown both generations of mavic at significantly over that height and all is fine.

From my experience boats a few things are more likely. If there is a lot of movement or roll on startup the IMU complains of errors during initialising and gives a "cannot take off" until things have calmed down. Its quite possible a balloon isnt stable enough for it.
Ive also heard but not personally seen that motors wont start if its moving too quickly. If there is movement, as soon as it takes to the air its going to go full power in the opposite direction to station keep and likely hit something.

Ultimately, from a platform like a balloon, ATTI mode is likely to be the only sane method, especially if you want it back in the basket later and not on the DZ at ground level.

Probably for the beat. I lose track of time paying attention to flight details. You wouldn’t want to do that while plummeting to earth.

From my experience boats a few things are more likely. If there is a lot of movement or roll on startup the IMU complains of errors during initialising and gives a "cannot take off" until things have calmed down. Its quite possible a balloon isnt stable enough for it.

Really?

I saw that video some time ago. My thoughts were along the line of
“pure luck”.
My thoughts are why he brought back a thread from nearly a year ago.
And agree on the luck in that video. He obviously didn’t mind taking
the chance of losing it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Some sponsor for the boat probably bought that phantom. Tax deductible if it didn’t survive.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming