DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impressive 7x quality...

It's not that I don't see the value. The "difference in view" is exactly the same as it is on any other camera capable of a 1x optical and a 7x digital zoom, like an iPhone. Only the quality will be improved, as seen above in the comparison of 600% crop and 7x optical at 100%, because the 7x is actually optical instead of digital, and both sensors are larger. Get out your iPhone and compare fields of view at 1x and 7x of any subject you want. It's the exact same difference in view.
With respect - if you don’t like the questions please do not keep answering with what YOU THINK the question or answer ought to be or be irritated because you feel you have to respond - you don’t!

To the OP (not gadget guy) Myself, bussty and perhaps others would still be interested to see the view from where the drone is hovering in comparison to your excellent 7x view of the sheep - thanks 😊

Reactions: Bussty
I think the latest FW 0.0600 goes further to fix the 7x camera. The sharpness improved again by a lot! The newer camera may just have newer FW ... and that's it
🙂
I attached an image straight from the camera from Thursday. The bleachers are 2711' & the school is 5725' away. This image is 1 of a 60 image panoramic. Kuula pano here reduced from 38,678 wide to the kuula max of 16384. Kuula link: Gustavus Adolphus College Campus looking West on a nice brisk.... I love doing panos wide a long lens!

Attachments

• DJI_0840.JPG
    DJI_0840.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 12
I think the latest FW 0.0600 goes further to fix the 7x camera. The sharpness improved again by a lot! The newer camera may just have newer FW ... and that's it
🙂
I attached an image straight from the camera from Thursday. The bleachers are 2711' & the school is 5725' away. This image is 1 of a 60 image panoramic. Kuula pano here reduced from 38,678 wide to the kuula max of 16384. Kuula link: Gustavus Adolphus College Campus looking West on a nice brisk.... I love doing panos wide a long lens!
Your jpeg of that stitched pano must be even more impressive than what's on Kuula as I guess it compresses a bit? Just look at the difference from your very detailed single shot to a snip out of your Kuula image. You can really see it in the red markings on the green baseball pitch!

7x compare.JPG

The 7x detail is looking impressive indeed! Not sure how much Mavic pilots compresses either?

Do you do the zoom in to 28x first to focus then lock in the focus, then move back out to 7x?

It's like we expected that lens to be from the start for a 7x on a half inch sensor, very nice :)

Reactions: GtoJon
Your jpeg of that stitched pano must be even more impressive than what's on Kuula as I guess it compresses a bit? Just look at the difference from your very detailed single shot to a snip out of your Kuula image. You can really see it in the red markings on the green baseball pitch!

View attachment 145809

The 7x detail is looking impressive indeed! Not sure how much Mavic pilots compresses either?

Do you do the zoom in to 28x first to focus then lock in the focus, then move back out to 7x?

It's like we expected that lens to be from the start for a 7x on a half inch sensor, very nice :)
Compression on MP doesn't do it justice you can see the snip by downloading here...

View attachment 145809

Thanks! I always do focus from 7x ... first I do auto & then switch back to manual :)

Cheers, Jon

Thanks! I always do focus from 7x ... first I do auto & then switch back to manual :)

Cheers, Jon
Nice and sharp! Also love how that 7x is sharp edge to edge so stitches easily. Have you had any issues stitching? I'm in a real conundrum now cos they are talking by end of year a Mavic 3s (big rumour of course) with 1" sensor on the tele lens! The M3 and beyond feels like a whole new chapter in drone functionality so very exciting having this tele ability and resulting high res stitches you can achieve.

Nice and sharp! Also love how that 7x is sharp edge to edge so stitches easily. Have you had any issues stitching? I'm in a real conundrum now cos they are talking by end of year a Mavic 3s (big rumour of course) with 1" sensor on the tele lens! The M3 and beyond feels like a whole new chapter in drone functionality so very exciting having this tele ability and resulting high res stitches you can achieve.
I stitched with Microsoft ICE automatically & did not fix anything :) FW, also changed/fixed the color space for the 7x camera ... made this thing again 10 times better. When the M3s comes out, I will buy that one also :) I will have to sell my A2s though :D
Here is my 7x St. Patrick's Day Parade video before the latest FW update:

Cheers, Jon

I stitched with Microsoft ICE automatically & did not fix anything :) FW, also changed/fixed the color space for the 7x camera ... made this thing again 10 times better. When the M3s comes out, I will buy that one also :) I will have to sell my A2s though :D
Here is my 7x St. Patrick's Day Parade video before the latest FW update:

Cheers, Jon
That's great! Colours really pop and before improvements of latest firmware! Those flashing police lights really show that characteristic of the 7x to have those vertical starbursts on point light sources. I don't mind it though it's just different.

Would that marching line have even been able to see the drone using the 7x? Such a great tool. Thanks for posting :)

GPS fix Update: When I fired up to fly, my M3 came up with a sensor (no indication which one) error, & said to restart. So I did. Right away I had GPS lock. Flew in 20+ mph wind testing 7x in the wind. All wen well. I have restarted before & gone through longer periods of finding GPS lock than when firing up the first. This time was different. 20 minutes later I stated everything up & had 19 satellites immediately :) Hope this helps & gives some optimism to others :) I will update this post with my 7x video in 20+ mph wind ... impressive!
Video soon:
Cheers, Jon

Attachments

• DJI_0901.MP4_20220326_172744.039.jpg
    DJI_0901.MP4_20220326_172744.039.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • WeatherChannelWind-032622.jpg
    WeatherChannelWind-032622.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
GPS fix Update: When I fired up to fly, my M3 came up with a sensor (no indication which one) error, & said to restart. So I did. Right away I had GPS lock. Flew in 20+ mph wind testing 7x in the wind. All wen well. I have restarted before & gone through longer periods of finding GPS lock than when firing up the first. This time was different. 20 minutes later I stated everything up & had 19 satellites immediately :) Hope this helps & gives some optimism to others :) I will update this post with my 7x video in 20+ mph wind ... impressive!
Video soon:
Cheers, Jon
I was thinking gosh that looks a little soft then the focus kicked in around 0:45 and wow nice and crisp. Impressive in that wind!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead