DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU calibration.

MavicKhan

Reactions
Coming from a Mavic Pro and after one and an half years without a drone, waiting for (A) a suitable DJI model (B) Full support by Litchi (as I need WP functionality) and (C) full clarification regarding EC regulations, from 2023 onward, I finally got an Air 2S. :)

Being familiar with the requirement to calibrate things on a new drone, I started with the RC-N1 calibration, proceed with the IMU one and will perform the compass calibration in an open field, this afternoon.

Although the system reported the IMU calibration as a successful one, I noticed that, in the required steps of having the aircraft laying on its side, it did no lay at a perpendicular angle to the flat surface it was laying on, due to its own design. It lay slightly slanted.

Shouldn't it be fully perpendicular to the resting surface during those steps?

If so, should I repeat the IMU calibration?

...and, if you feel it is warranted, how did you ensure your a/c was laying perpedicular to the surface during the "sides" steps phases?

Thank you for any input.

WK

The angles needed are determined by DJI and the design of each of their products. No two are alike. 90 degree angles are not a part of these designs in most cases.The differing angles needed for these IMU calibrations are allowed for in the software for each model.
The base point is of course the flat surface.

Reactions: MavicKhan
Being familiar with the requirement to calibrate things on a new drone, I started with the RC-N1 calibration, proceed with the IMU one and will perform the compass calibration in an open field, this afternoon.
There is no requirement to recalibrate anything.
It's completely unnecessary.
You'd think that if it was important, DJI would mention it in their manuals.
But they don't.

Reactions: FLDave
I have never calibrated a new DJI product IMU and had no I’ll effects. I have done a few when told by the app. That sensor condition is visible in the app and should be checked at times.

Reactions: YVRGUY and maggior
The angles needed are determined by DJI and the design of each of their products. No two are alike. 90 degree angles are not a part of these designs in most cases.The differing angles needed for these IMU calibrations are allowed for in the software for each model.
The base point is of course the flat surface.

Thank you for your useful reply :)

There is no requirement to recalibrate anything.
It's completely unnecessary.
You'd think that if it was important, DJI would mention it in their manuals.
But they don't.

They do.

As mine blink as referenced, at least the Compass calibration is needed.

You see, I fly much larger birds, so RTF is almost innate, to me.

Attachments

• DJI UM.jpg
    DJI UM.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 22
Correction ...
No DJI drone manual has any mention or recommendation to recalibrate anything on a new drone before flying.

As mine blink as referenced, at least the Compass calibration is needed.
The wording in that section of the manual is misleading.
The most common cause of that warning is placing the drone close to some steel.
If that was the cause, there's nothing wrong with the compass and calibrating is not necessary.
Did you try turning it off and moving to a different location?
You see, I fly much larger birds, so RTF is almost innate, to me.
I'm not sure how that relates to this discussion ??

Last edited:
The only time I've seen IMU warnings is when I am done flying and return to my vehicle without powering off and place my drone inside. Other than that, never seen one in any other situation. And its of course the metal of the car and perhaps other components inside that cause the error until I power off everything

And that gives you an IMU warning? Or just the compass?
Just an IMU warning, I do not recall it mentioning the compass. If I remove my drone and setup for another flight several feet away, there are no more errors and my flight is fine without any calibration steps.. settings say things are "OK"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky