DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In your own opinion how reliable is DJI Mavic?

Bolewsky

Reactions
Greetings,

I am obviously new to this forum but not new to quads. I have a simple question for existing Mavic owners of all experience levels.

In your own opinion how reliable is DJI Mavic?

I am close to buying one but I was a lot closer before I started reading Mavic user forums. I know that all internet forums will mostly draw negative comments or bad experiences. It seems everytime there is a thread where the user claims Mavic fault there is a lot gatekeeping (drones are not for everyone...) and user blaming/shaming (RTFM) unless there is video proof. Logs are mostly overlooked and inconclusive. Advice is abundant but mostly not very helpful (calibrate ICU/compass everytime and far away from magnetic interference). I understand perfectly the importance of preflight checks and precautions but seems that even with all that a lot can and does go wrong for no apparent reason or users fault.

My point being, does this product deliver the features it is selling? "The DJI Mavic Pro is a small yet powerful drone that turns the sky into your creative canvas easily and without worry" "When you tell the Mavic to fly home, it will return to that coordinate, match the video, and land back at your feet."

Yes, the Mavic is this and does this.
It is important to study the manual anyway and apply some common sense to what you are doing.
Internet forums can be a great source of information, but as with everywhere else you cannot over rely on all the comments.

Yes, the Mavic is this and does this.
It is important to study the manual anyway and apply some common sense to what you are doing.
Internet forums can be a great source of information, but as with everywhere else you cannot over rely on all the comments.
Thank you for the reply. Actually coming from an experienced user like you that really means a lot. Could I just ask you if you ever had a problem where it seems you did everything right but everything went wrong and all failsafes well....failed?

Don't forget you see in this forum people that have issue with the mavic and the people that happy with the mavic will not use the forum to let you know

Yes. Very reliable. In 8 months it still flies great. Negligible degradation of battery life. Original props. A little bit of wear from the cable on the controller (as expected).
If anything, your much more likely to have problems with the app than the hardware (which I haven't).
All is good in my experience.

Reactions: Bolewsky
It looks like the drone is good quality
But after using it for 9 months it's getting dust in the closet

Thank you for the reply. Actually coming from an experienced user like you that really means a lot. Could I just ask you if you ever had a problem where it seems you did everything right but everything went wrong and all failsafes well....failed?
No. My Mavic never freaked out on me.
On a few occasions in a city I flew behind a very tall building and lost RC connection.
After a few seconds the Mavic would start the RTH sequence and rise up to the set RTH altitude to re-gain RC connection within short time.
Everything worked for me as you would expect it so far.

Reactions: phantomi
It's close to perfect for me. I haven't had any crashes with the Mavic. Super impressed with the accuracy of Return to Home. More features than I use and that's a big plus.

So far my craft is drama free.

I do wish that the camera/gimbal was easily replaceable (plug n play) It looks so fragile. It's probably the weakest link in an otherwise perfect aircraft. I baby this thing. I also fly it. ;) Take your time removing the gimbal clamp before flight and putting it back on afterwards. You should have no problems.

Reactions: Bolewsky
IMHO I believe that mavic is one of the most stable drones that I have flown. Of course there are bound to be small issues here and there but hey it does a pretty good job in my books. Very stable even indoors.

I'm thankful that mine has been working well so far and no budding issues for which I'm grateful for!

The Mavic is my first drone and I've had it since winter time during which the only issue I've had is a couple of gimbal resets mid-air and a single occurrence of it losing GPS reception and switching to ATTI mode but knew it could happen and landed it fine. I think it's an amazing device for the compact size and it's superb being able to easily carry it with me when out walking or cycling, it makes it far more usable to be than the larger Phantom models.

John

My Mavic is dead reliable (2 weeks in)& does what is supposed to do, no odd behavour.
Now, the App, Go 4, that's another story, a lot of people, including myself have had app issues.

11 hours in the air since February - not a single problem. This thing is almost too reliable :eek:

120 flights in, original props, original batteries (3) not a single flight related problem. I did get a couple of lemons originally though, and had to swap them out under warranty. As others have said, you just need to take good care of the gimbal as it is the weak link.

After 5 weeks..so far so good. I am coming from being a P3S owner so I have great confidence in the MP. Plus I have PAP coverage through Statefarm so I'm more confident in flying because my money is insured just in case something happens

After 5 weeks..so far so good. I am coming from being a P3S owner so I have great confidence in the MP. Plus I have PAP coverage through Statefarm so I'm more confident in flying because my money is insured just in case something happens
Having previously owned a Dji product would you say it is the same quality as P3S?
120 flights in, original props, original batteries (3) not a single flight related problem. I did get a couple of lemons originally though, and had to swap them out under warranty. As others have said, you just need to take good care of the gimbal as it is the weak link.
Thanks for the reply. When you hear of other owners having problems that they claim is not their fault do you think it is something that could have been avoided or they just got "a bad lemon" and didn't catch it in time?

Hmmmm....I'm probably being a bit unfair and overly general, but I reckon the majority are down to inexperience/poor research/not reading the manual etc. A lot of people take huge risks with these things as well, then moan about it afterwards when things go wrong. The ones I returned were down to gimbal/camera issues but I was a fairly early adopter and those issues seem to have been largely ironed out. All of the Mavics I've had have flown perfectly.

Reactions: Rbruz
I have good luck. One problem landing on my car sun screen. Picked it up and tore it up. Cracked prop. Now have excellent landing pad A MUST

Reactions: Rbruz
After exactly 8 months and:
90 flights
15 hrs
93 miles later, my Mavic has been trouble-free across all FW updates with both Android (Galaxy S5) and IOS (iPad Mini4). The only complaint I have is the annoying NFZ warning at start-up a few FW updates ago.

I'm the third owner of my Mavic (got it in like-new condition) and it's always flown perfectly, but I don't think I have enough hours on it nor stressed it hard enough yet to comment on overall reliability, but it looks like a keeper so far.

And just fiddling around, I've had it land within an inch of takeoff location three or four times in a row, using Precision Landing RTH - it was spooky accurate. Note that you have to achieve a minimum distance from takeoff point for Precision Landing to enable (and make sure you choose that option at takeoff), otherwise the thing gets lazy and does a "close enough!" landing even if you enabled Precision Landing.

I have had terrible problems with DJI Assistant 2 - it refuses to see my Mavic, ever, recognizing only the controller. Have tried everything that I and about a dozen others can think of, but it seems to be a driver issue. It doesn't cripple flying, but I need Assistant working to shed the Chicom shackles and unlock my bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT