DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inches From Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long form video coming soon. I was laying on my stomach right below my tripod to line this up perfectly. I was literally less than 3 inches from hitting the camera or my face. Looking at the flight data I was going at max speed in sport mode.
When I go full speed over a river I always seem to loose altitude. Did you just push the forward stick straight or did you correct the height ?

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
There was nothing in my post telling you how to fly. I'll leave that to others with more tolerance and patience.

I am honestly astonished that an adult (my assumption) would do something that pointlessly reckless and then document and brag about it on a public forum. It tarnishes the images of all responsible drone pilots.

Inches from Disaster? A better title might be Inviting Disaster?
fyi not even DJI seems to care about the public image of drone pilots since their official promos feature shots over natural areas that are strict no fly zones :

Long form video coming soon. I was laying on my stomach right below my tripod to line this up perfectly. I was literally less than 3 inches from hitting the camera or my face. Looking at the flight data I was going at max speed in sport mode.

For what it's worth...cool shot. 👍

I liked the "Whooompa " sound as it flew over.

Got me to thinking about a podcast a while back about nuclear testing back in the day and the use of mirrors to safely record the footage.

Fly safe. :cool:

Why do people in this forum care so much about the public image of drone pilots. This is a mavic pilots forum not facebook lmao
EXACTLY!!!

Here's one example of why public sentiments regarding drones is important.

A few drone owners did some stupid things in National Parks. >>>>> A lot of people complained to the National Park Service. >>>>> The National Park Service instituted a total ban on drones in all National Parks.

Every other restriction on drones came about by a similar process. People complained or worried or speculated and complained to elected officials or administrators. New restrictions were imposed.

When I go full speed over a river I always seem to loose altitude. Did you just push the forward stick straight or did you correct the height ?
Here's one example of why public sentiments regarding drones is important.

A few drone owners did some stupid things in National Parks. >>>>> A lot of people complained to the National Park Service. >>>>> The National Park Service instituted a total ban on drones in all National Parks.

Every other restriction on drones came about by a similar process. People complained or worried or speculated and complained to elected officials or administrators. New restrictions were imposed.
To everyone who has a problem with this go ahead and report me. I did nothing wrong I planned out exactly how this was going to be done. I accepted the risk and wanted to get the shot. Flying low and fast close to myself isn’t a problem as long as you accept what can happen.

This is a private group for drone pilots, not a public forum where those fearful of drones are going to stumble across and see this video. It should, IMO, be a safe place to share photos where the only person endangered was the photographer.
Photographers have always taken risks to get that perfect shot.
Charles Ebbets in 1932 for instance;
1700018507766.png

To everyone who has a problem with this go ahead and report me. I did nothing wrong I planned out exactly how this was going to be done. I accepted the risk and wanted to get the shot. Flying low and fast close to myself isn’t a problem as long as you accept what can happen.

I doubt that anyone watching your video or reading this cares enough about it to be bothered to look up the regional FAA office. I don't. If your phone rings, maybe someone did.

But it does still amaze me that a video is supposed to be more impressive if the fellow who made it tells you that there's an invisible face three inches away from the drone's path.

I doubt that anyone watching your video or reading this cares enough about it to be bothered to look up the regional FAA office. I don't. If your phone rings, maybe someone did.

But it does still amaze me that a video is supposed to be more impressive if the fellow who made it tells you that there's an invisible face three inches away from the drone's path.
Yes it was at most 3 inches above my head. So what? I already explained that I had a tripod right upfront of my face as well as a camera. If the drone would clear the tripod it would clear my face, which it did. The purpose was to line up my drone because I was filming with my phone. Even if it hit the tripod my face would be fine.

To everyone who has a problem with this go ahead and report me. I did nothing wrong I planned out exactly how this was going to be done.

I have to agree that you did nothing wrong in the sense that you didn't violate FAA drone regulations. With respect to common sense and self-preservation, I reserve the right to differ.

Conclusion

From what I can see, it's perfectly legal to fly your drone as close as you want to your face or any other part of your body.

Background

Here's the second item in the list of requirements for the 44809 recreational exemption. It seems to be the most relevant of the eight requirements.

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

When flying recreationally, I use the Flight Test Community Association guidelines. FTCA includes this in their guidelines.

"Do not fly your model aircraft closer than 25 feet laterally from other pilots on the designated flight line."

For spectators, the separation distance is 50 feet. But there's nothing about proximity to the pilot flying the drone. Otherwise, takeoffs and landings would be done at a distance and hand catching would be out. I doubt the people writing the regulations anticipated pilots choosing to fly close to themselves at Vmax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
It's interest

I have to agree that you did nothing wrong in the sense that you didn't violate FAA drone regulations. With respect to common sense and self-preservation, I reserve the right to differ.

Conclusion

From what I can see, it's perfectly legal to fly your drone as close as you want to your face or any other part of your body.

Background

Here's the second item in the list of requirements for the 44809 recreational exemption. It seems to be the most relevant of the eight requirements.

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

When flying recreationally, I use the Flight Test Community Association guidelines. FTCA includes this in their guidelines.

"Do not fly your model aircraft closer than 25 feet laterally from other pilots on the designated flight line."

For spectators, the separation distance is 50 feet. But there's nothing about proximity to the pilot flying the drone. Otherwise, takeoffs and landings would be done at a distance and hand catching would be out. I doubt the people writing the regulations anticipated pilots choosing to fly close to themselves at Vmax.
I know that flying this low and fast is generally stupid. I would never attempt this if any people where around or spectating. I don’t do this on a daily basis because at some point I’m going to mess up. This was a one time flight for me:

I know that flying this low and fast is generally stupid. I would never attempt this if any people where around or spectating. I don’t do this on a daily basis because at some point I’m going to mess up. This was a one time flight for me:
Again, low and fast is not the problem. It's flying within 3" of your face, even if you're behind the camera and tripod, which is not certain to protect you.

Besides you're not even visible in the video. The only benefit of being so close to the drone is being able to say "Inches from Disaster! and create some "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" drama. You don't need that.

Flying low and fast is fun and I've done it, shooting video over an isolated meadow and the bay. It's a hoot to see the flowers or ripples on the water whizzing by in the frame. Keep doing it, safely, and don't feel like you have to put your face close to the drone's path to make it interesting.

So people have a problem with the title? I already explained why my face was so close. I was trying to line it up with the tripod.

So people have a problem with the title? I already explained why my face was so close. I was trying to line it up with the tripod.
Re-read the second paragraph of post #54.

If you want to line up the drone, stand to one side and hover the drone where you want it to pass the camera and tripod. Then fly backward without engaging the other controls. Go as far as you need to gain speed for your shot. Then fly forward without engaging the other controls.

If something goes wrong, you'll just be out the price of the drone. You won't be dealing with a propeller-lacerated cornea that happened when the drone smacked into the tripod or camera and cartwheeled into your face.

Re-read the second paragraph of post #54.

If you want to line up the drone, stand to one side and hover the drone where you want it to pass the camera and tripod. Then fly backward without engaging the other controls. Go as far as you need to gain speed for your shot. Then fly forward without engaging the other controls.

If something goes wrong, you'll just be out the price of the drone. You won't be dealing with a propeller-lacerated cornea that happened when the drone smacked into the tripod or camera and cartwheeled into your face.
I was wearing glasses 🤓. I get your point. It is not safe. I understand why I shouldn’t have but it was a one time thing.

Reactions: MS Coast
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor