DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inconsistent Altitude Issue

k9kids

Reactions
Taking off, the altitude indication seems normal.

Some where during the flight the altitude readings are getting messed up.

I come in to land and I’m looking at negative readings. See attached photos.

When I landed the altitude was -18 feet.

I take off again and all is well.

Latest update installed. Never have had any damage to the MA2.

Calibration in order?

9DC9CC66-C29F-45A4-8944-70D664914E3A.png6E35B309-768B-4C43-8515-D577403A5B95.png

I don't believe the Barometer is something you can calibrate. It's not perfectly accurate. 18 feet is probably a little more "off" than I would expect at the end of a flight, but not totally unheard of (my Phantom was usually off 10-20 feet every flight, but my Air(s) have been better). Also, looks like a cloudy day, if a weather system had recently passed, and the pressure was rising again, that could have a slight impact as well, although unless a massive font was passing through while in flight, that probably only explains a few feet at best. The drone's temperature change in flight is supposed to be accounted for, but I'm not sure that's super accurate either. I think it is common to be 1-6 feet off. If you are constantly 18 feet off, that might be something to look into.

I don't believe the Barometer is something you can calibrate. It's not perfectly accurate. 18 feet is probably a little more "off" than I would expect at the end of a flight, but not totally unheard of (my Phantom was usually off 10-20 feet every flight, but my Air(s) have been better). Also, looks like a cloudy day, if a weather system had recently passed, and the pressure was rising again, that could have a slight impact as well, although unless a massive font was passing through while in flight, that probably only explains a few feet at best. The drone's temperature change in flight is supposed to be accounted for, but I'm not sure that's super accurate either. I think it is common to be 1-6 feet off. If you are constantly 18 feet off, that might be something to look into.

1 inch on the barometer is about 1000 ft of altitude measurement change. However, since the reading is "change from takeoff altitude", there should be almost no effect on this relative altitude that the drone (and you) care about. In that way, it self-calibrates at takeoff. Theoretically, if the barometric pressure changed so rapidly that there was a considerable change before your battery ran out, that would cause an error relative to takeoff height. Such changes occur in tornadoes and maybe even near the eye of hurricanes, but if you are flying there you will be worried about other things.

The VPS sensor, if enabled and in good visual conditions, should override that baro sensor when you are less than 25-30 feet above ground, I should think, and baro errors might then have no effect this close to the surface. However, I have no factual knowledge of this.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Taking off, the altitude indication seems normal.

Some where during the flight the altitude readings are getting messed up.

I come in to land and I’m looking at negative readings. See attached photos.

When I landed the altitude was -18 feet.

I take off again and all is well.

Latest update installed. Never have had any damage to the MA2.

Calibration in order?

View attachment 110837View attachment 110838
Normal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique