DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indecisive Hoosier New to Forum

bmmcwhirt

Reactions
I'm Bryan, from Indiana. Trying to decide what I'm going to buy and was horrifically saddened to see there were no real multi-rotor craft at IRCHA this year.

I've been flying small indoor multi-rotor craft for years and slightly larger for a little over a year. Currently I have a Blade Nano and a Blade 350 that I fly with an FRSky Tarranis 9x.

I've been eyeing a P4P + v2.0 but with it apparently coming to the end of it's life I've been looking at the Mavic more and more. Unfortunately I've played with raw footage from both and the image quality of the Mavic just isn't where the P4P v2 is and the lack of that 60fps is killing me. I'm use to editing 4k/120 footage now(120fps allows for better software stabilization because neither software nor hardware is perfect so I use both for the best results then render out to 2k/60 and 1080p/60. Video editors here will understand why you have to film higher resolution than your output) and thought dropping to 60 was going to be a nightmare time syncing footage. I don't want to go with a full camera platform till I'm far more comfortable with flying. Then I see there is the possibility that the Mavic 2 may get a refresh early next year which could mean anything or nothing.

So now I'm torn. Hours of syncing 30fps footage to 120fps footage, or buy something like a Mavic Air or Spark to start flying and worry about getting aerial footage later when new hardware comes out. I did get to fly a Mavic Pro(older not the v2) and did love how stable the platform was. I didn't like the rotating as it was sensitive and choppy. Not sure if that is the craft, controller, or operator(most likely) but all the stops were abrupt. I'm guessing this will just take practice. I was setting this system up for a friend of a friend who was unable to get the craft, controller, goggles and crystalsky to all work together at once. Your all welcome to check out my short video, I managed to stop recording while I was trying to test out the return to home so the video cuts off before landing.

Something I've not been able to find information on, does DJI support Instructor mode where 2 controllers connect to the craft but the one designated as instructor overrides the other? This has been a standard in the RC world for forever but seems to be missing on DJI products and would be especially useful for video so I'm guessing it exists but I just haven't seen it?

Also my budget is $2000-$2500 so the Mavic Pro 2 with smart controller is within the budget where the P4P2 was going to push the budget to it's max.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I did get to fly a Mavic Pro(older not the v2) and did love how stable the platform was. I didn't like the rotating as it was sensitive and choppy. Not sure if that is the craft, controller, or operator(most likely) but all the stops were abrupt.
There are settings in DJI GO that allow the controls to be adjusted for smoother movements. You can also fly in Tripod mode -- which instantly auto adjusts all of the settings to allow very slow and controlled movements (when needed).

does DJI support Instructor mode where 2 controllers connect to the craft but the one designated as instructor overrides the other?
The Mavic 2 (and some other DJI drones) do have a dual remote controller mode. You can find more details in the Mavic 2 manual. You can download the manual from the Mavic 2 downloads page.

Thank you very much. That will all be incredibly helpful. I've probably only used gear that didn't have the dual controller option in the past hence why I never found it. I'll also pass along the information about the Tripod mode to the owner of that Mavic Platinum I was flying as he will find it useful and recommend he join this forum.

Again thank you.

Welcome to the forum :)

If you've not already done so, it might be helpful if you go and add your LOCATION to your account. This helps when asking questions about location specific items (Rules & Regulations for instance).

Click >>>> HERE <<<< to go directly to your Account Details and add your location details in the Loc field.

Something I've not been able to find information on, does DJI support Instructor mode where 2 controllers connect to the craft but the one designated as instructor overrides the other? This has been a standard in the RC world for forever but seems to be missing on DJI products and would be especially useful for video so I'm guessing it exists but I just haven't seen it?

Also my budget is $2000-$2500 so the Mavic Pro 2 with smart controller is within the budget where the P4P2 was going to push the budget to it's max.

Shockingly I've never seen a Buddy Box setting for MultiRotors. I guess they assume they are so easy to fly (GPS guided and Gyro Stabilized) it's not needed.

If you've been flying small drones indoors (much harder to control in my opinion) I don't think the flying part of the Mavic or P4P is going to be an issue. These drones practically fly themselves in camera mode. I had been flying small drones indoors for a while and my first experience with a gps drone outdoors had me serious underwhelmed as far as controllability.

Welcome to the forum :)

If you've not already done so, it might be helpful if you go and add your LOCATION to your account. This helps when asking questions about location specific items (Rules & Regulations for instance).

Click >>>> HERE <<<< to go directly to your Account Details and add your location details in the Loc field.

Thanks, I have now done so. This forum is so much easier to use that DJI's own forum.

I'm Bryan, from Indiana. Trying to decide what I'm going to buy and was horrifically saddened to see there were no real multi-rotor craft at IRCHA this year.

I've been flying small indoor multi-rotor craft for years and slightly larger for a little over a year. Currently I have a Blade Nano and a Blade 350 that I fly with an FRSky Tarranis 9x.

I've been eyeing a P4P + v2.0 but with it apparently coming to the end of it's life I've been looking at the Mavic more and more. Unfortunately I've played with raw footage from both and the image quality of the Mavic just isn't where the P4P v2 is and the lack of that 60fps is killing me. I'm use to editing 4k/120 footage now(120fps allows for better software stabilization because neither software nor hardware is perfect so I use both for the best results then render out to 2k/60 and 1080p/60. Video editors here will understand why you have to film higher resolution than your output) and thought dropping to 60 was going to be a nightmare time syncing footage. I don't want to go with a full camera platform till I'm far more comfortable with flying. Then I see there is the possibility that the Mavic 2 may get a refresh early next year which could mean anything or nothing.

So now I'm torn. Hours of syncing 30fps footage to 120fps footage, or buy something like a Mavic Air or Spark to start flying and worry about getting aerial footage later when new hardware comes out. I did get to fly a Mavic Pro(older not the v2) and did love how stable the platform was. I didn't like the rotating as it was sensitive and choppy. Not sure if that is the craft, controller, or operator(most likely) but all the stops were abrupt. I'm guessing this will just take practice. I was setting this system up for a friend of a friend who was unable to get the craft, controller, goggles and crystalsky to all work together at once. Your all welcome to check out my short video, I managed to stop recording while I was trying to test out the return to home so the video cuts off before landing.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52