DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Indian Lake Ohio Independence Day Fireworks

Take a look at these two video Frames below: Notice how when I record I get a really nice black as that is what th sky looks like.

So what happened to you, was when you first started your flight you wanted to see the houses so your camera exposed for it, but this makes for a very low grade recording when you looking up at a Dark sky.

Next time you go up in the Night , let your drone fly in the Pitch black , dont try to help it along .

So this is your Frame side by side to mine :

Hopefully you will see the Difference in the black of the video tha I am shooting compared to yours.
Once you learn to get the Pitch Black , than everything will Pop and clean up much nicer even zoomed .

Screenshot of ScreenFloat (7-2-23, 11-02-17 AM).png

Screenshot of Google Chrome (7-2-23, 10-57-18 AM).png

Screenshot of Google Chrome (7-2-23, 10-56-10 AM).png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Nice video

Take a look at these two video Frames below: Notice how when I record I get a really nice black as that is what th sky looks like.

So what happened to you, was when you first started your flight you wanted to see the houses so your camera exposed for it, but this makes for a very low grade recording when you looking up at a Dark sky.

Next time you go up in the Night , let your drone fly in the Pitch black , dont try to help it along .

So this is your Frame side by side to mine :

Hopefully you will see the Difference in the black of the video tha I am shooting compared to yours.
Once you learn to get the Pitch Black , than everything will Pop and clean up much nicer even zoomed .

ok. I have already tried to ask several others about this with no luck. hopefully i can explain myself here... The source video is dlog or raw..... i thought if i recorded it in dlog/raw i would be able to get better or more colors.... to my suprise the unedited dlog/raw video was pretty **** awesome looking untouched. Neverthless, i wanted to zoom in a bit in order to fill the screen as much as possible. In the video i used davinci resolve to zoom in 3.5x but once i did that there was some pretty intense fuzziness and or noise surrounding the pretty colors. So at this point i began to attempt to colorgrade. This being the first time i attempted color grading in the dark i had the hardest time with it. Everything i did would deminish the actual fireworks themselves....sometimes to the point you couldn't even see them. In preperation of doing this video i had collected approx. 8 free LUTS for fireworks. I ended up settling with the best one of the 8 LUTS i had which left the black just like you described. right away i noticed exactly what you described and i fiddled with it for over an hour after applying the LUTS but like before applying LUTS everything i did made it worse. Suffice it to say that i found color grading in the dark way harder than i ever imagined. I have been considering using my footage to simply make a video with no edits just to prove how buetiful of shots it actually took.... here is stills i took from the original source video in dlog/raw without zooming or colorgrading...... Google Photos

Ironically, when i watch this video on my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra in 4k ..... it looks perfectly black..... I couldnt believe how good it looks on the phone....

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Ok < now that explains why they looks so bad, foget the lutz and the color grading other than maybe vibrance and post the ones you sent me, they look really nice and much cleaner, and less noisey. You will find many of your black sky pictures start to break up with editing so you have to really nail the black while your recording.

Screenshot of Google Chrome (7-2-23, 2-01-15 PM).png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water. Capture the storm

Reactions: dozzn