DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

INDOOR FILMING PROJECT

skyeye73

Reactions
Hi people, looking for a little information. my company have asked if I can film a fly round of our showroom (motorcycle dealer). basically would like me to start as an aerial view and fly down through the front doors, around the dealership and upstairs to the clothing department and do the same.
my question is, what setting do you recommend and filters for the lens.

thanks in advance.

Does this need to be done in 1 take? If it can be done in multiple video clips you may want to do handheld footage inside if you have an Osmo available at least for the tighter spots. A good app to have to calculate what ND filter you need is the Polar Pro Filter Guide, It is available on Android and iOS. Many times an ND16 is a good starting point on a Sunny / Partly Cloudy day for the outside stuff. Going inside you may go down to a ND4 or none at all but check the Polar Pro app.

Reactions: skyeye73
I'm thinking inside would be too dark to use an ND filter. I would go without.

want it in one shot ideally. no haven't go an osmo

You can test even at home, with any camera, or even the Mavic hand held (no props attached), auto exposure on.

In case the dealership is one of those with glass walls, the light difference would be better than going into a dark place.

To transition from outside to inside will be a nightmare as your light will change so much, so quickly that you'd most likely need a second person controlling camera settings. When I mentally fly through what you're being asked to accomplish I have to ask; are you that good? Are your sticks that steady? You're being asked to perform a camelback type motion with crane like stability accompanied by smooth pans. That's a lot to ask for. Even though you don't have an OSMO, no matter how well you think you can control the Z axis on an osmo, if you're not tracking something you're going to easily see the bounce.

The worst thing you could do is say yes to this project only to not be able to pull it off successfully. If you're asking questions about it, you're probably not ready to try and tackle it; at least not in one take. You might have to tell your company to get a little more realistic about what they're asking you to do, but back that statement up with what it would cost an experienced production company to pull off this continuos 1 shot "commercial" they want you to do for them.

Alone, you could probably pull it off in two shots (but again that depends on your skills) because the moment your camera makes the transition from outdoor natural light to whatever light is indoors, something is going to be to under/over exposed.

I would tell your boss/marketing whoever that there's no way you can pull it off in one shot. If you can pull it off in two shots to look like one continuos shot you'll need to set your camera for the outdoor conditions fly to just before you cross the threshold or to a point where the settings change drastically from outside to inside, hover your drone, change the camera settings and continue with the flight indoors. In post you can add a very quick transition (something like a digital glitch) or something that ties the camera changes and flight movements together with the least amount of interruption as possible.

Last edited:
You can test even at home, with any camera, or even the Mavic hand held (no props attached), auto exposure on.

In case the dealership is one of those with glass walls, the light difference would be better than going into a dark place.

This is a bad idea. If they wanted handed footage they'd tie in the aerial outside footage with something different from the inside. In most cases people don't want handheld stabilized footage when they request that you "fly" indoors. We should assume that the dealership has very high ceilings at least 25'? No way to simulate flight footage with handheld with ceilings that tall.

This is a bad idea. If they wanted handed footage they'd tie in the aerial outside footage with something different from the inside. In most cases people don't want handheld stabilized footage when they request that you "fly" indoors. We should assume that the dealership has very high ceilings at least 25'? No way to simulate flight footage with handheld with ceilings that tall.

My answer was just realted to his question "what setting do you recommend and filters for the lens", so he could have a feel regarding lighting difference outdoor / indoor.

Outside of 2.7k or 4k, 24 or 30fps, none of us can answer his questions about filters or settings because if you want the best quality footage your ISO and shutter speed will be wrapped around some basic video recording rules, those two settings and what light is available at the time of filming. Which could require a filter anywhere from an ND32 for outside and no filter for inside.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu