Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Initial Thoughts VS MA2

adcimagery

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.adcimagery.com
Got my first chance to fly today approaching sunset. I took a few flights with both the M3 and MA2, and my initial reaction is pretty positive. I'll have a full review going up in a few days, but here's a few quick impressions:
  • It's a big boy. Compared to the MA2, it's significantly bigger in all dimensions. It's easier to retain visual on in the air, but also feels like it can draw a little more attention while walking around.
  • The "bra" that functions as a gimbal/propeller cover is a much nicer solution than the MA2's hard plastic cap. It's less finnicky, while protecting both more sensors and the props.
  • In flight sound is inoffensive, but you can definitely feel more of a draft coming off it at liftoff. Ground clearance is good enough, and I really like moving more of the cooling vents topside.
  • Dynamic range improvements are instantly noticeable on even my phone screen. Towards sunset, you really had a binary choice between blown out sky and black foreground. Now, one exposure can retain much more of the sky, and the foreground can still be recovered quite naturally.
  • A 3 shot AEB bracket merged to HDR in Lightroom has very natural tonality, with excellent recovery of the full range. Even in very difficult lighting, these shots came out looking fantastic,
  • Flight time estimates of 40+ minutes are totally reasonable. Drone had plenty of battery, even while hovering, testing sport mode, launching and recovering, etc. I came down because my LAANC window was ending, not because I was low on juice. A second battery pack is going to be plenty. I'm glad I didn't get the fly more, even more now.
  • Telephoto lens, as currently implemented, is pretty meh. Accessing it via "explore mode" is clunky, as is having to manually cycle through the digital zoom options. No raw here isn't a deal breaker, but it could be way easier to use than it currently is.
  • Aperture settings, for photographers, is pretty useless. I shot through the aperture range and can't tell the difference between f/2.8 and f/8 apart. Don't bother stopping down thinking it'll confer sharpness improvements.
  • Color science is good. Resolution isn't significantly up compared to MA2, but every other aspect of the image is.
  • While I wasn't flying the drone hard, it handled perfectly smoothly. The only surprise was APAS toggling off as light levels fell triggered a "jerking" motion in the drone that took me by surprise - I'd like to see this feature degrade more gracefully.
Is this worth quite a bit more than the MA2? Tough to say - it is expensive, but the images are significantly better when shooting in more challenging conditions, and having nearly twice the battery life is a big plus. If you're a daylight hobbyist, I'd probably say it's not worth it. If you're shooting in more challenging lighting situations, the improvements in quality are significant.

Anybody have MA3 questions they're looking to get answered?

Reactions: dsrtrdr7
The variable aperture is more useful for video to control shutter speed. Since the distance from lens to subject is usually pretty far, I doubt you would get much depth of field variety out of it. Of course shooting motion blur in photo mode, the aperture settings will come into play a bit more.

Did you shoot raw or jpg ? I think most software still lacking proper M3 raw support. I think I'll wait a month to see proper raw support and may be some sale for black Friday before ordering.

I am torn between Base and Flight More. I do want 1 or 2 extra batteries and charger. But i like enclosed charger like Mini2 - so I can keep it in my car's trunk plugged in. Thinking may be I can add velcro wrap to m3 charger. Or if I go aftermarket charger - flymore makes even less sense.

The variable aperture is more useful for video to control shutter speed. Since the distance from lens to subject is usually pretty far, I doubt you would get much depth of field variety out of it. Of course shooting motion blur in photo mode, the aperture settings will come into play a bit more.
Yeah, that was why it was prefaced with "for photographers". You're often going to be at hyperfocal distance even at f/2.8, but stopping down could have theoretically improved things like vignetting, chromatic aberration, or sharpness.
Did you shoot raw or jpg ? I think most software still lacking proper M3 raw support. I think I'll wait a month to see proper raw support and may be some sale for black Friday before ordering.

I am torn between Base and Flight More. I do want 1 or 2 extra batteries and charger. But i like enclosed charger like Mini2 - so I can keep it in my car's trunk plugged in. Thinking may be I can add velcro wrap to m3 charger. Or if I go aftermarket charger - flymore makes even less sense.
I shot raw, but also checked the JPGs. ACR opens the files, and they're fine - I'm going to build an adaptive profile anyway.

Someone broke down the numbers in detail, but the flymore doesn't seem worth it at all. Get a second or even third battery, then pick up a 3rd party charger (past 3rd party models have had more features anyway). Skip the bag and the other stuff and save some money, IMO.

Someone broke down the numbers in detail, but the flymore doesn't seem worth it at all. Get a second or even third battery, then pick up a 3rd party charger (past 3rd party models have had more features anyway). Skip the bag and the other stuff and save some money, IMO.

Yeph, If only I had a patience for base model to be at Costco with free extra battery :)

Also since I am looking for photography and over water - I need CPL and Fly More filters are ND - so I need aftermarket filters anyway. The stock bag at $300 doesn't make any sense

I would like to know how far out you can go before losing signal? I can go 3 km out on my Air 2s before losing signal in a heavy interference area. Can you compare?

I would like to know how far out you can go before losing signal? I can go 3 km out on my Air 2s before losing signal in a heavy interference area. Can you compare?
Unfortunately not. Connection has been absolutely solid though, with less frame drops relative to MA2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR