DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insane noise level at ISO 100. What am I doing wrong?

I would agree that the ND probably isn't the problem here- the ISO didn't increase to compensate, shutter speed did, which means your exposure is fine.
I'd say the image is a little underexposed- if I drop the JPG you posted in your first shot into LR the histogram is pretty central - you could probably have bumped the exposure to +0.7 or +1.0 without blowing any highlights then pulled back in post, reducing the noise.

Attachments

• hstgrm.JPG
    hstgrm.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 3
Like others have said shooting stills loose the filter. I often shoot both still + video and let my shutter speed go higher and it looks fine, but stills are my priority.

I do agree with you that I was disappointed in the noise level of my MP2 compared to my Sony RX100-IV which has the same size sensor. I've improved it greatly by shooting bursts of 5 for all my stills then loading them into PS as layers and median blending. Takes time, but with the pandemic I have lots of that.

Make sure your Style settings are on Standard. I avoid all filters but definitely none for stills. I only fly in blue/golden hour.

Also this is a small sensor like everyone has mentioned. It needs all the help, and light, it can get to avoid noise.

Topaz's DeNoise AI is a great product for noise reduction as well. If I am going to print and sell something, I run it though there first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas