DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance?

Hillbilly Pilot

Reactions
So after last weeks mishap where my Air decided to take off and fly straight into the back of the house, and first thing the wife says is it insured. I’ve been thinking about it might not be a bad idea. Another pilot said they had insurance on theirs. So my question is who has insurance and who do you have it through? Haven’t flew much and that’s around my house, will be taking it traveling with me and other places when I get comfortable with it. Heck I might end up making some sort of business out of this hobby.
So what does the board have to say?

So after last weeks mishap where my Air decided to take off and fly straight into the back of the house, and first thing the wife says is it insured. I’ve been thinking about it might not be a bad idea. Another pilot said they had insurance on theirs. So my question is who has insurance and who do you have it through? Haven’t flew much and that’s around my house, will be taking it traveling with me and other places when I get comfortable with it. Heck I might end up making some sort of business out of this hobby.
So what does the board have to say?

I'm in the process of getting insurance as well. BWI fly is kinda expensive at around 600 annually.

BTW: if you do end up doing business you need a part 107 cert...

I have mine insured covering pretty much everything, i strongly recommend it.

It generally doesn't cost that much for the coverage and its piece of mind whenever you take flight.

Dan

I'm assuming you're talking about insurance to replace the drone and not liability insurance. The go-to is a personal articles policy from State Farm. It will fully reimburse you the amount on your receipt if the drone is lost, stolen, destroyed, abducted by aliens, etc. It's great in that you don't need to recover the drone's carcass, so if it plunks into a lake you're still covered. My premium is $37/year for $1500 coverage on my M2P. Others have been charged $60, my understanding is that the minimum premium for a policy is $60, but since I already have my other insurance through them they were able to bundle my premium with my other premiums. If they're going to charge $60 either way because I wasn't with them I'd add some more cameras and lenses and stuff to get the most out of the $60.

Reactions: Chas2379
Thanks for the replies! Guess I’ll have to make a few calls and find out which way to go with this!
I do like the idea of having insurance on it.

Thanks for the replies! Guess I’ll have to make a few calls and find out which way to go with this!
I do like the idea of having insurance on it.
Yeah, I don't think I'd have the guts to send my new M2P out without insurance. Even doubled up on dji care refresh and State Farm I still got a little nervous lol.

I'm assuming you're talking about insurance to replace the drone and not liability insurance. The go-to is a personal articles policy from State Farm. It will fully reimburse you the amount on your receipt if the drone is lost, stolen, destroyed, abducted by aliens, etc. It's great in that you don't need to recover the drone's carcass, so if it plunks into a lake you're still covered. My premium is $37/year for $1500 coverage on my M2P. Others have been charged $60, my understanding is that the minimum premium for a policy is $60, but since I already have my other insurance through them they were able to bundle my premium with my other premiums. If they're going to charge $60 either way because I wasn't with them I'd add some more cameras and lenses and stuff to get the most out of the $60.

That's interesting. Do you know if there's a limit to what you can add under the single personal articles policy? I assumed it was just the drone, but it'd be great if I could insure multiple drones under the one policy (as long as it's under $5,000).

That's interesting. Do you know if there's a limit to what you can add under the single personal articles policy? I assumed it was just the drone, but it'd be great if I could insure multiple drones under the one policy (as long as it's under $5,000).
They let me add my dji goggles with my drone but I'm not sure if I could have multiple drones on one policy. I know pro photographers use the same policy to insure all their camera stuff so I don't see why you couldn't have a few drones on one policy if you can have a few cameras on one policy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_