DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intelligent Flight Modes and Tracking

The HardWay

Reactions
Hello. I'm new here, and recently purchased my first drone, a Mavic 2. I seem to be picking up the basics of flight pretty quickly, and am now beginning to explore the other features that it has to offer.

I'm starting to play around with the intelligent flight modes and have been watching some tutorials online. I have a question around the IFMs and tracking, which doesn't seem to be covered in the tutorials I've seen. When using one of the modes...say, Boomerang...does the subject need to remain static while the drone cycles though the shot, or is it possible for the the Mavic to actively track a moving object (car, person, bike, etc) while simultaneously cycling through the shot? I can see where certain modes, like POI, would require the subject to remain in one place, but seems like with other modes....circle, boomerang, dronie, etc....that there would be no reason why the subject could not be moving. I haven't had the chance to go out and see for myself yet, so figured I'd ask. Tried searching the previous threads for an answer, but didn't see anything on the topic.

Hello Hardway:

Welcome to our forum & congratulations on your drone. I’m not completely familiar with tracking and IFMs but my understanding is that several of them can work on a moving target. However, I recall reading somewhere that obstacle avoidance and using IFM while tracking a moving target can be tricky. I suspect some of our colleagues with much better knowledge than mine will provide good guidance soon!

Howard

Hello. I'm new here, and recently purchased my first drone, a Mavic 2. I seem to be picking up the basics of flight pretty quickly, and am now beginning to explore the other features that it has to offer.

I'm starting to play around with the intelligent flight modes and have been watching some tutorials online. I have a question around the IFMs and tracking, which doesn't seem to be covered in the tutorials I've seen. When using one of the modes...say, Boomerang...does the subject need to remain static while the drone cycles though the shot, or is it possible for the the Mavic to actively track a moving object (car, person, bike, etc) while simultaneously cycling through the shot? I can see where certain modes, like POI, would require the subject to remain in one place, but seems like with other modes....circle, boomerang, dronie, etc....that there would be no reason why the subject could not be moving. I haven't had the chance to go out and see for myself yet, so figured I'd ask. Tried searching the previous threads for an answer, but didn't see anything on the topic.
Let us know if you tested this moving subject tracking please

I was attempting to active track a German Shepard running and couldn’t do it. It wouldn’t lock on. Found out the minimum height for tracking is 3.5’ or 1 meter. Have to train him to run on his hind legs!

I finally got a chance to get some flight time in to play with the intelligent flight modes. Unfortunately, it appears that these flight modes only work with stationary subjects, and not one that is moving.
I tried the circle and boomerang modes focused on me walking down an open road and then focused on me driving down the road in a UTV, both without success. It sure would be nice if these features would work on moving subjects, but I guess that is too much to ask.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998