DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting article on the AMA and night flights.

That article doesn't really make sense to me. It notes that this was a recreational event, and that there is no prohibition against night flying either in FAA regulations for recreational flight or in the AMA handbook. But then it states that the FAA denied the AMA request for a waiver to fly at night - why would they even be requesting a waiver in the first place?

That article doesn't really make sense to me. It notes that this was a recreational event, and that there is no prohibition against night flying either in FAA regulations for recreational flight or in the AMA handbook. But then it states that the FAA denied the AMA request for a waiver to fly at night - why would they even be requesting a waiver in the first place?
Wouldn’t it be a commercial event if they are charging participants, And participants get some sort of benefit from it?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
In the center of the photo is the soccer field at the Pomona Fairplex. To the left is an airport that the local LEA's use for their helicopters. I am very familiar with Pomona. I'm not shocked they were grounded . . .

Pomona Fairplex.jpg

Wouldn’t it be a commercial event if they are charging participants, And participants get some sort of benefit from it?

They can charge if they want to, as long as they are not the pilots. And they clearly state that it is recreational - if it isn't then the pilots need Part 107, which obviously many don't have.

Reactions: AMann

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78