DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting DJI Accessory Pricing Strategy

LeafPeeper

Reactions
So I was thinking about getting either the charging hub ($39) or the advanced charging hub ($55). After a little thought, it occurred to me that for $38, I could charge 3 batteries at ONCE....with three outlets. Truthfully, is anyone else wondering why you'd buy a hub when a whole charger is only $19....other than bag space?

LP

That’s why I bought this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Pow...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mavic+pro+charger&psc=1

I can charge three batteries, the controller and my iPad all at the same time, using one outlet, for the same price as DJI’s hub.

Do you (or anybody who uses this charger) explain this:

81dcJ1c-d2L._SL1200_.jpg

Does this mean that batteries may stop charging when they are not at 100% and require to replug them to continue charging? This pic confused me.

So I was thinking about getting either the charging hub ($39) or the advanced charging hub ($55). After a little thought, it occurred to me that for $38, I could charge 3 batteries at ONCE....with three outlets. Truthfully, is anyone else wondering why you'd buy a hub when a whole charger is only $19....other than bag space?

LP

I find this a bit odd too.
It have a Mavic on the way with a spare battery. There's no way I'd pay for the hub when I can just buy another single charger much cheaper and charge both batteries at the same time.

And even more: the standalone charger takes 1hr 20min to charge; the hub takes same time per battery... but the Advanced hub is about 20min faster. The hub is a passive device, it only decides which battery to charge first. So how come the Advanced is faster? It must be telling the charger, hey, Advanced hub here, increase your output! Basically, it's the same hardware, but different firmware (yes, hub has its own micro USB for firmware updates, although none available).

Reactions: geelongdroner
And even more: the standalone charger takes 1hr 20min to charge; the hub takes same time per battery... but the Advanced hub is about 20min faster. The hub is a passive device, it only decides which battery to charge first. So how come the Advanced is faster? It must be telling the charger, hey, Advanced hub here, increase your output! Basically, it's the same hardware, but different firmware (yes, hub has its own micro USB for firmware updates, although none available).
That is exactly what it does, the advanced hub allows for more input from the adapter (power supply). The advance hub also lets you use the more powerful charger from the Phantom 4, which will cut the charging time down even more.
This guy explains it pretty well.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is becasue of simultaneous charging. As a battery gets closer to full its load on the chager is reduced. The standard hub waits until one battery's completely full to switch to the next (with almost no load on the charger), but the advanced one can maintain optimal load on the chager by charging multiple batteries at the same time.

That’s why I bought this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Pow...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mavic+pro+charger&psc=1

I can charge three batteries, the controller and my iPad all at the same time, using one outlet, for the same price as DJI’s hub.
Had to laugh at the "upgrade" in the Amazon listing.

"Upgrade Gounded to avoid a lot of static electricity to hurt the user when charging."

Nothing to do with the fact older models had mains voltage in a metallic enclosure with no earth.

Looks a great solution though, good reviews, think I'll order one.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
The advanced hub only charges faster when connected to the more powerful Phantom 4 charger.
Sorry, you are wrong. According to the man in the video that did the testing and DJI.
Watch the video. He explains it very well...

Read my last post...
Faster charge of a single battery (i.e. higher charge current) is only with the P4 charger, but yes with multiple batteries you will get a small improvement anlready with the Mavic charger because of just what I wrote previously.

The question I was answering was about a single battery, so the simultaneous charging scenario doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Callum
Had to laugh at the "upgrade" in the Amazon listing.

"Upgrade Gounded to avoid a lot of static electricity to hurt the user when charging."

Nothing to do with the fact older models had mains voltage in a metallic enclosure with no earth.

Looks a great solution though, good reviews, think I'll order one.

Yeah....love that. "New and improved! Now reusable! You'll live to use it more than once!"

LP

Read my last post...
Faster charge of a single battery (i.e. higher charge current) is only with the P4 charger, but yes with multiple batteries you will get a small improvement anlready with the Mavic charger because of just what I wrote previously.

The question I was answering was about a single battery, so the simultaneous charging scenario doesn't apply.
The discussion is about the hubs.

Do you (or anybody who uses this charger) explain this:

81dcJ1c-d2L._SL1200_.jpg

Does this mean that batteries may stop charging when they are not at 100% and require to replug them to continue charging? This pic confused me.

Also have this charger and it works flawlessly for me...they seem to charge faster as well.

The discussion is about the hubs.

the standalone charger takes 1hr 20min to charge; the hub takes same time per battery... but the Advanced hub is about 20min faster.
The way the advanced hub can charge a single battery 20min faster than the standalone mavic charger is by using the Phantom 4 charger as input, just like I put it in my original reply.
Obviously DJI don't put in bold that you need to buy an additional P4 charger to meet those "capabilities" and leave it to people to figure out, hence the questions.

Nice charger. I had one as well, till I realized that it doesn't stop charging once the batteries are full like the DJI hub. This means that the batteries become overcharged and loose their ability to hold a charge. Not the best option out , but it works , just disconnect the batteries soon as they are charged

Reactions: noimage
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pingaddict