DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Internal self-discharge

Costa Rica Guy

Reactions
All ready to fly and red banner reading "Internal self-discharge" scrolls across. Everything else normal...even took off and hovered but went nowhere til I get to the bottom of this. Only thing I have done differently is use little arrow to download pictures directly to phone. Ideas?

Has it been a while since you have flown? Does the message go away when using a different battery? Was the battery recently charged?

The battery self discharges to a certain charge after an elapsed period set in the DJI GO app. Look in the app under the battery page. You need to be connected to your drone. It's normally set to 10 days. It is to protect the battery.

Reactions: x_stefano20
The battery self discharges to a certain charge after an elapsed period set in the DJI GO app. Look in the app under the battery page. You need to be connected to your drone. It's normally set to 10 days. It is to protect the battery.
Thanks so much !

Has it been a while since you have flown? Does the message go away when using a different battery? Was the battery recently charged?
I fly about 3 to 4 times a week, but i have not used all my batteries in a while. Strangely enough, the message went away when i turned everything off and powered up again.. I flew for about 15 minutes and about 2500 feet away with no problem or reoccurence of the warning,

Not strange at all that just rest the battery when you power cycled it.. when a Dji batt has gone into self discharge this happens with every batt you use just turn it on wait for the message and power cycle done out of self discharge..

I fly about 3 to 4 times a week, but i have not used all my batteries in a while. Strangely enough, the message went away when i turned everything off and powered up again.. I flew for about 15 minutes and about 2500 feet away with no problem or reoccurence of the warning,
Good to hear it seems to be fixed. I do have a suggestion for your battery use. Number your batteries and use them in order.

Reactions: Costa Rica Guy
I know this is an old topic but I would like to know if it is okay to fly while the self discharge message displays... Someones you get to a location and just want to snap a quick pic or video but you connect the drone etc and oops, you forgot to charge it. There is still charge on the battery and you can fly... but I just want to know if I'm causing any damage or not. I know its always best to fly with 100% charged batteries.

@Ram85, it's safe to fly on a partially charged battery if you know you have enough battery power to complete the task. Knowing what your drone is capable of only comes with experience.

If you're forgetting to do things when you fly (like charge your batteries), then you would likely benefit by using a flight checklist. Make a list of things you'd like to do before you leave home, before taking off, and after landing. Then, just follow that list each time you fly.

@Ram85, it's safe to fly on a partially charged battery if you know you have enough battery power to complete the task. Knowing what your drone is capable of only comes with experience.

If you're forgetting to do things when you fly (like charge your batteries), then you would likely benefit by using a flight checklist. Make a list of things you'd like to do before you leave home, before taking off, and after landing. Then, just follow that list each time you fly.
Thank you very much for answering my question.

I have a checklist taped to my Mavic backpack and always run through it before flying. The reason I asked this question was that I couldn't find any information regarding if it will damages the batteries online. I definitely do not want to cause damage to my drone or batteries.

The scenario that I was faced with was the following: We went for a cross country (3 week) trip and my Mavic was packed away as I wanted to fly at the destination. While on our way we stopped at this really incredible beach and I just needed to fly and get it on camera. When I turned the drone on I was presented with this message... If I was planning to fly that week I would have charged.. but with our schedule that did not seem likely... so I didn't.

Really glad that it's still safe to fly and that I just need to be more watchful regarding battery percentage to make sure I still land with 30% like I always do.

Thank you again @msinger

I know this is an old topic but I would like to know if it is okay to fly while the self discharge message displays...
You are taking a slight risk in that most people only look at the "percentage" of battery left and the DJI app may not be tracking this correctly any longer. You may find it initially reads at a higher percentage, only to drop fairly quickly to a lower one.

I'd first recommend that better monitor the discharge state of your batteries (you may want to put them on a charger before every flight) and I'd recommend that you turn on the battery voltage reading in the settings. This will display the lowest cell voltage on the app screen. You can search for a listing of what to look for in the voltage range. This is _far_ better to monitor then just the percent of battery that is left.

Thank you @tcope I will do so. As I explained above I normally follow all my flight checks, but I just wanted to know for sure if it is okay to fly with that "warning" message. I completely get that the flight time and percentage are only indicators and might not be reliable. I've taken good care of this machine and trust it, I just found myself at an unexpected beautiful location and wanted to capture it (completely unplanned and unexpected) and didn't want to hurt my batteries or my bird. I flew responsibly and didn't take her out very far. Landed with 30% still left.

Thank you for the quick reply guys. Hopefully, I don't find myself unprepared again, but it's good to know that no damage will be done and that I just need to watch the drone even more carefully(yes, I know).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98