DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interview with Rob from Thunderdrones

I appreciate that!

Even with all the high performance aircraft I have flown, the most exciting fixed wing aircraft I have flown are the Piper Cub and the Stearman PT-17 biplane. To me, exciting means high maintenance and extra precautions, and with everything being manual on the Cub and Stearman, you really have to be on your toes. Just taxiing to the active can be interesting on a windy day, having to keep the wing tip and tail down, S turns, and open cabin (optional on the Cub) make things exciting. Taking off is fun too, full throttle, tail wheel comes up, keep the wing tip down into the wind, lots of rudder, and off you go. Its the most fun you can have in the air at 60mph.

I had the same reaction to the first RC plane I saw as you did. I was riding my bike near the beach as a kid in the 60's, and saw these RC planes flying. As I rode closer, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. How could they make an engine that small fit into a model? And how can they control the model? As I rode closer, I saw who was flying and what they were doing, and I was entranced. I guess my curiosity got the best of me and I got a little too close and wandered out on to the flight line. One of the guys came running up to me and started yelling at me to get the heck out of there! Still, an awesome experience that I have flashbacks of every now and then. I guess it most happens when DJI comes out with a new drone. Im a kid again. (I fell like Burl Ives telling a Christmas story)

So, you found drones after using Traxxas models for a while? I wish that Traxxas made a drone as high end as the Mavic. The Aton is great but unfortunately not up to the level of the Mavic. You know well how you can buy any Traxxas part, down to the tiniest screw, and how easy replacement parts are to find. Also, parts are not expensive, and Traxxas knows you will be fixing it yourself. I really like their products, their availability, and the company itself. They are rock solid, never fail, and you can beat the crap out of them, replace a $2.00 part, and get back to having fun.

Here is a little project I made that started life as a Traxxas Summit. Everything works, and it takes a 4 channel radio to drive it, with granny gear, and a 10 channel radio take use all the functions.

View attachment 69093View attachment 69094View attachment 69095

My son is 18 years in USAF is is responsible for getting me into this "stuff" LOL! It was my 2017 visit to California where he intro'd me to his Traxxas Aton. I'd never flown anything RC...and he'd got REALLY good at it. I was amazed at the performance...and the durability. He had a couple of pretty high-speed "crashes"...and straightened the props and back in the air. I almost went Aton except I REALLY wanted quality photo capability. By the time I bought my Mavic, my son had also gotten one. Before he deployed to Korea this past December, we had a chance here in St. Augustine to fly Mavics together. Very cool.

My Dad had private pilot, single engine VFR and IFR ratings; flew a Cessna 140 then a 172 Skyhawk back in the 60s and 70s. I spent quite a bit of time at the airport, but never had the money commitment to fly AND continue to fly. Seems like I remember a Stearman, high-wing, radial engine? that a friend of my Dad owned.

I'm trying to keep this brief, not wanting to be the one that adds 2 more hours to your 18 hour day. However, your "project" Traxxas looks pretty amazing AND intricate. I agree with EVERYTHING you had to say about Traxxas! Indestructible, fun to repair, parts easily obtained. Amazingly, I played RC trucks with the two models I mentioned for about 5 years and I sold the two trucks for about $50 more than I paid.

Hey Rob, thanks for the "Christmas Story"! VERY much enjoyed. And, while I'm not looking forward to a crash, I DO look forward to doing business with you as it's probably inevitable. Almost had a power-line incident last Friday...I posted an "Almost Disaster" post today looking to get my Flight Data analyzed to see what went wrong.

Take care, and thanks again!
Bruce Curtis
St Augustine

So now we know
......Your fav Drone is The MP2

I Like that ... Some will "Flame Out" @ 300ft..
Wait........
Rob .Did you just out me.?
.....cR

Very well done, I thought the helos were my fault not being able to fly SR. I've flown several types of drones ,gas and elec helos but this one sits on my shelf for 3yrs when I do fly it its not coming back. I replaced everthing on it esp tail and motor several times. Its tuned at the hobby shop, he flew it been in the box since. So to fly DJI drones are enjoyable and is not appreciated to the extent of years ago over and over trying to hover let alone fly.20190411_213836.jpeg

Reactions: Former Member
Rob has been very helpful to me in my new but fun career as a flier. Nice to see the great exposure.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand