DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Introducing Drone Run

Toby Liew

Reactions
Hey guys, we're launching Drone Run on Kickstarter next week. It's a game for drones that trains your piloting skills with a smart landing pad and sensor checkpoints to create your own flying course.

The aim is to take off, fly around the circuit of sensors and land in your best time. We're offering 30% off of the kits, just subscribe to www.drone-run.com so we can email you the moment we launch to access the early bird discounts.

It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

Toby

Update:
We're now live!
Drone Run: A Timed Flying Game for Drones

Attachments

• Landing Pads.jpg
    Landing Pads.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Sensor Checkpoints.jpg
    Sensor Checkpoints.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Take Off.JPG
    Take Off.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • The Kit.jpg
    The Kit.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Unfold.jpg
    Unfold.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Take Off Anywhere.jpeg
    Take Off Anywhere.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It would help if the site mentioned ballpark cost. I can't stand marketing/sales that give you no pricing whatsoever without first having to provide contact info.

Interesting. I can only speak for myself but I would pass on this. Cool idea but let me give you some feed back on why I would pass. First - I fly a Mavic Air and not very much anymore because there is no real skill involved in it. It's a great quad but all it did was open the door for me to build my own quads now. I also dont think spending the kind of money on any DJI drone that anyone would want to risk crashing it. That includes myself. For me to set up those sensors I would be doing a lot of hiking as the range to make a good course would be pretty big. . If you are trying to market this this as something you would do in your back yard I don't think it would be as fun as you would think. I have a tiny whoop that for that. Second, and again this is just my opinion., if you want to be the best pilot you can be get a drone you can fly in acro mode. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of negative responses for saying that but the truth is it takes skill and it's just super fun. Third - you can make your own course using trees or other objects that you don't have to place or pick back up. As far as timing the course I can just go down to the dollar store and pick up a stop watch or save the buck and use the timer on my phone. I wish you the best of luck on your product and hope you prove me wrong!!! :)

edit - Google drone racing flags and gates.

Last edited:
Great to hear such comprehensive feedback, thanks! The course is super fun with the phantom series because of their agility and responsiveness. Having said that, Mavics have proven to be fun too! The added element of risk does keep you on your toes. As you'll see in our Kickstarter campaign, we do have measures in place to reduce the risk of damaging your drone. Flying at close proximity, such as in a garden, means you have to maneuver quite a bit which increases the challenge and adds to the fun. Then getting your time and having a friend try to beat it makes the course competitive. We're not the best pilots, yet after a few tries, you really see your skills improving, especially the landings. I completely understand your point about flying around trees etc but having a checkpoint that gives you feedback when you fly by is really satisfying. Having the integrated timer in the landing pad creates an all in one kit so you don't have to worry about clicking a timer and juggling the controller or the timer on your phone whilst it's paired up to the DJI app and repeating the faff when you land again. In the future, we'll be adding other fun course components so you'll never bored!
Anyway, there's far more information on the Kickstarter page that might prove you wrong. We'll be launching on Monday so we can try to convince you then!

Reactions: zzxrox
LOL Thank you for the positive vibes about my feedback. I kind of felt bad writing it but i just wanted to be honest. To tell you the truth I have moved away from DJI for the most part and I am going out on a limb and guessing you are targeting the DJI community. Since I don't have the time or space to fly like I want to I have moved into the world of Tiny Whoops so I can fly in my house when I cant get out. Maybe you can take a look at something like that to branch out into. I hope your launch goes well and I'll keep watching to see how it goes :) Always fun to see success in a new product!!!
(here is an example of what I moved to from camping a couple of weeks ago. Still working on building a cinewhoop :) )

What comes to mind for me is longevity. Paying for this idea and only using a few times may put people off. I could see organisations like schools use this where they have an introduction to drones for their students. My sister is a teacher and had somebody bring in various drones for the students to learn with, so this may be something that could be targeted at an educator who would get a lot of use out of it.

I can see doing it once or twice but that's about it. $81..... Thats not going to fly, no pun intended

It would be good for schools.

Reactions: Toby Liew
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada