DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 1

Jalatta

Reactions
I see a lot of posts about iPad mini 4 being a tablet of choice. I know very little about Apple products but is the iPad mini 1, or 1st Generation unit function with the Mavic Air?
Regards, Jack

No. You'll need to use at least the iPad Mini 2 if you want to use an iPad Mini.

You can use the iPad Mini 2, 3, or 4. Get the 4 if you want the best device.

Thank you, why the mini 2?

The Mini 2 is the first one that is powerful enough to run the software.

The new Mini 4's are an absolute rip-off and are still using old 2014 hardware and dated screen technology. If you are OK with a larger form factor, by far the best bang for the buck iPad is the 9.7" 2018 version. It actually has modern hardware in it, and is significantly cheaper than the Mini 4. It even supports the Apple Pencil. If you need the smaller form factor though and if you want an Apple product, you don't have much choice but to pay top dollar for old tech. Apple sells refurbished product as well, that might be a decent compromise.

If you do get the 2018 9.7", you'll also have a great device for use at home/travel etc. for when you aren't out flying.

My IPad mini 2 is overloaded by DJI Go 4app on each flight, after a few minutes of flight, and becomes very , very hot...
I asked myself if I'd better have to buy a mini 4, but when I saw characteristics, it appears that since the mini2 model, the chipset seems to remains the same... Same chipset, with same clock frequency...
So I decided to not spend another "800 bucks" in quiet the same device, so I looked for other software to fly with...
I only tried litchi since that day, and the iPad mini 2 just run it smoothly with not a bug at all...

I'm sure seeing a lot of different opinions about the iPad mini 2 with half saying it isn't compatible and the others saying it is. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when the mini 2 gets here.

I'm sure seeing a lot of different opinions about the iPad mini 2 with half saying it isn't compatible and the others saying it is. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when the mini 2 gets here.

It's 5 years old now and came out in 2013. If it's a dedicated screen for your drone it is easier to justify, but it's really old hardware. I would still go for a 2018 9.7" if that is at all attractive to you. They can be had for under $300 brand new, and you get a great, modern tablet out of the deal.

DJI's official response is that only the Mini 4 is supported, and even that tablet is still using 5 year old hardware. Apple has neglected the Mini line for a long time but still charges a hefty premium for it.

The Mini 2 is the absolute bare minimum - it should run but don't expect flawless performance. I'd also suggest turning off everything else you are not using, killing all the background processes, and not updating to iOS 12.

Thank you for your suggestions. The only thing this tablet will have on it is the DJI go4 app, nothing else so hopefully it will be satisfactory. In the mean time I'm using a Galaxy S7 edge which works great.

ipad mini 4 will be $250 on Black Friday at a minimum at Walmart.

I have used iPad mini 3 before (which is the same as iPad mini 2 but without fingerprint scanner) and it works fine. I'm not so sure now though if it will work the same as before.

Do not get a 2 even the three is slow.. if your going to spend money on one get the mini 4 at least it's newest of them all and even then it's not going to last and will soon be to slow and your gonna need to buy a faster tab.. a lose lose if you ask me.

Thank you for your suggestions. The only thing this tablet will have on it is the DJI go4 app, nothing else so hopefully it will be satisfactory. In the mean time I'm using a Galaxy S7 edge which works great.

My situation is very much like yours. I was quite happy with the Galaxy S7 but, after reading many posts about the benefits of having a bigger screen, decided to spend $25 on a Pad Holder to mount my 9.7” iPad Pro which works perfectly.

If I didn’t already own the iPad Pro I would have waited a few months for the upcoming iPad Mini 5. The advantage of using the iPad Mini is twofold - it’s much lighter and you don’t need a bracket to mount it on the RC.

My situation is very much like yours. I was quite happy with the Galaxy S7 but, after reading many posts about the benefits of having a bigger screen, decided to spend $25 on a Pad Holder to mount my 9.7” iPad Pro which works perfectly.

If I didn’t already own the iPad Pro I would have waited a few months for the upcoming iPad Mini 5. The advantage of using the iPad Mini is twofold - it’s much lighter and you don’t need a bracket to mount it on the RC.
Great reply, I appreciate it.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I see a lot of posts about iPad mini 4 being a tablet of choice. I know very little about Apple products but is the iPad mini 1, or 1st Generation unit function with the Mavic Air?
Regards, Jack
Regards, Jack
hi, newbe here. I read your post and I’m a little confused. I just receive my Mavic Air last week. I have an iPhone 7 and I can’t see how anything larger can fit into the controller. Do you control your Air with the iPod only? I’m in New England, cold and wet, so I haven’t flown outside my living room.

Is that because of the GO app being updated?
Yes, one of the reasons I'm not sure if the iPad 2 or 3 will work anymore because the app keeps updating. Some updates on the app require higher system requirements. Not sure if the iPad 2 can still meet the minimum requirements.

hi, newbe here. I read your post and I’m a little confused. I just receive my Mavic Air last week. I have an iPhone 7 and I can’t see how anything larger can fit into the controller. Do you control your Air with the iPod only? I’m in New England, cold and wet, so I haven’t flown outside my living room.

The Mavic Air RC clamps onto the iPad Mini 4 - no problems. You'll need an after-market holder for the full size (9.7") iPad. You can control the aircraft with only the mobile device but altitude and distance are severely limited - suggest you always use the RC.

Watch this video:-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito