DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini 3 or 4?

MavicMaverick92

Reactions
Need some input. I'm about to trade my Spark for an iPad Mini and was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Mini 3 with the Mavic Mini in DJI Fly? I can't afford the Mini 5 so it's either the 3 or 4 but if the 3 doesn't work well I'll look into the 4. Thanks in advance!

I can't speak for the Mini models directly, but I would go for the latest model you can afford. The way that Apple's iOS work is that down the road the iPad will only upgrade to a certain iOS... and then many if not most of the apps that come out won't work with it. I'm having an issue with my current iPad that won't update past iOS 10.x. I'm pretty much stuck with the apps I have and cannot update them. I just got lucky with my iPhone 6plus that I can still update the iOS.

Mini4 worked fine when I was running the fly thing. Finally sold the mavic mini, so I don’t run it anymore. The mini4 is outdated as it is, so the mini3 is certainly going backwards. Think about your resale values when you go to unload whatever you buy.

Need some input. I'm about to trade my Spark for an iPad Mini and was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Mini 3 with the Mavic Mini in DJI Fly? I can't afford the Mini 5 so it's either the 3 or 4 but if the 3 doesn't work well I'll look into the 4. Thanks in advance!
You can fly OK with the mini 4 for but it can’t handle certain apps like Dronelink.
You really need a five. Big difference in processor power

The iPad Mini 2 and 3 are basically the same device, they added a fingerprint reader on the 3. As others have said the 2 or 3 is out, the 4 borderline...which just leaves you with the new 5 or go with a older iPadPro (Bigger screen)

I use the iPad Mini 4 and it works great. I use the special cable from Amazon so my controller doesn't try charging the iPad mini like it was when I plugged my phone in. Good luck

I use the special cable from Amazon so my controller doesn't try charging the iPad mini like it was when I plugged my phone in. Good luck

Is your phone Android? I ask because I thought the RC only charged Android phones and not Apple. My iPhone doesn’t charge from the RC.

Apple stated that the Mini 3 would not be updated to IOS 14 this year. I use the Mini 4 with the Mavic Mini and like others have no problems.

So I assume the Mini 2 is definitely out of the picture? One guy just offered an iPad Mini 2 for my drone and the fly more combo but the price itself is cause enough for hesitation but if they're not updating the 3 then I'm safe to assume the same for the 2? I really want a tablet and the 2 and 3 are my only cheap, local options. Anything else is gonna require me to spend a little more and probably drive a little further but obviously I'd prefer a tablet that can run what I want it for.

Is your phone Android? I ask because I thought the RC only charged Android phones and not Apple. My iPhone doesn’t charge from the RC.
Yes I have a Samsung note 9 and it continuously charged the phone which I didn't like pulling power from the controller. I rather use the iPad for anyways because I better viewing

Yes I have a Samsung note 9 and it continuously charged the phone which I didn't like pulling power from the controller.

That explains it. That doesn't happen with Apple devices.

Reactions: rickfmdj
Charging of Androids has to do with standard USB power specifications and lack of charge control in Android OS API.

IOS has charge control in its API so the app is able to take advantage of it.

I dusted off my wife’s old Mini1 and charged it up. Man that thing is laggy and running 9 software so it naturally couldn’t run DJI Fly.... but do I need a new iPad mini... ?

That explains it. That doesn't happen with Apple devices.
why can you not slide the toggle switch to the off position in the app like i do when using my ipad mini 5th gen,i have the same phone as you but dont use it it as a display for the mavic.

why can you not slide the toggle switch to the off position in the app like i do when using my ipad mini 5th gen

Sorry, you’ve lost me there! I’m really not sure what you’re referring to.

Sorry, you’ve lost me there! I’m really not sure what you’re referring to.
ok so in the go fly app i have a slide toggle switch to enable or disable phone charging.

ok so in the go fly app i have a slide toggle switch to enable or disable phone charging.

I may just be looking in the wrong place but I can’t find a toggle for that anywhere in my Fly app. My understanding was that the app didn’t attempt to charge Apple devices, only Android.

I may just be looking in the wrong place but I can’t find a toggle for that anywhere in my Fly app. My understanding was that the app didn’t attempt to charge Apple devices, only Android.
maybe its only on the apple device app i will just have a look on mine for you .this is on an ipad mini.

Attachments

• phone charging.png
    phone charging.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
maybe its only on the apple device app i will just have a look on mine for you .this is on an ipad mini.

That’s not there in my Fly app with either my iPhone or iPad. Are you definitely using the Mavic Mini remote control? It looks more like the MA2 remote from the thumbnail in your image. This is what I get:

Attachments

• 3CD88433-D58F-4558-859F-46B2D0A55CE2.png
    3CD88433-D58F-4558-859F-46B2D0A55CE2.png
    623.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: ninja_geezer
My apologies i have aMA2.... :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads